Caleb Mills - Freshman of the week

My issue with your opinion is that it is dramatic and irrational. DRAMATIC. “Cringing” when C Mills dribbles the ball? RELAX.

Please give C Mills the ball! We need points. Do it now. :pray:

Please go back and read carefully. I didn’t say I cringe when he dribbles the ball. I said I cringe when he tries that behind the back move. If you don’t, that is perfectly fine. But let’s not start comparing apples and machine guns to prove a point.

@WoodMarkCos

Your second paragraph is right on target buddy.

The young man has game.

Give him the ball please.

Lol. I know exactly the move you are talking about.

I still say… “give him the ball”.

And I don’t cringe.

top 10 in the country next season is carried away …really really carried away

There is more to basketball than scoring … amoung our current guards,he is the worst rebounder, worst defender and worst passer…
His passing is really bad… Once he decides to score, he goes full Kobe and not looking to pass…look at his missed attempted BYU game winner, BYU had 3 players on him .with multiple players open… he did not pass … he only passes when it looks impossible to score even for him

And I have a big fear that I’ve never posted hear before but some people on the AAC forum noticed, but it’s true by definition… mills commits an offensive foul on 75% of his shots (luckily it’s rarely called) …he pushes off almost everytime he shoots …
Opposing coaches might start alerting refs to look for it (which might have been what UTEP did, that had 4 push off calls in the game) … or start prepping for it now that a scouting report will be made for him

I think mills will be a Great player but some of the hype is a bit high …a nice goal will be freshman of the year this year , and all aac next year
All aac this year and top 10 national player next year is a lot

2 Likes

With that assessment, not sure why we even recruited him.

1 Like

@pesik
What are you even talking about man? Smh at your first paragraph.

We need scoring and the young man can score with his eyes closed. We don’t need him to lead the league in rebounds or blocked shots. Absolutely ridiculous.

AND why would I care about him committing fouls that the refs aren’t calling anyway?

I don’t disagree with your last few points, and I agree that considering him a top 10 player is very ambitious at this point. All AAC given the opportunity is a different conversation and I won’t back down from that.

That’s a ridiculous statement. We recruit 3-4 players each year like Caleb who with 2-3 years of development have a chance to become all conference (AAC) players - just like all the other AAC teams like Memphis & Cincinnati also do. And like Memphis, UH is fortunate if we get one (1) player to be voted onto the all conference AAC team each year.

Each year, out of the ~36-48 AAC recruits (12 teams x 3-4 players each), an average of maybe 1 or 2 of these recruits will ultimately make an all AAC team. So the odds for each recruit are not too good.

the conversation had nothing to do with what we needed him to do, but that he is a top 10 in all of the entire country next year, and will be 1st team all conference this year…

im sure a top 10 national player cant do any of that

This thread had turned into a joke. Sorry for even suggesting we might have a stud on our roster. Waiting for him to melt down and foul out today.

Carry on fellas.

2 Likes

becuase we recruit players on what they are capable off as basically true freshman??
is that your point???

not counting the offensive foul thing, sampson himself has noted every other thing i noted in post game this year…we plan to develop him…we didnt recruit him as a finished product…we dont recruit anyone as finished prioduct

Caleb Mills played a decent game today but he shot just 3 of 11 (27%) during his 28 minutes on the court. CKS obviously is trying to maximize young Caleb’s game experience as his # of minutes played were second only to Quinten Grimes in this game.

This year’s BB team is very young and is still very much a development in progress. Our young guys are getting more playing experience each time out, and I expect that the team should be able to play together much better in a few months.

1 Like

Yes, you are absolutely correct. We will be fine. Like Aaron Rodgers said, “Everyone, RELAX.”

Love my cougars!

Mills is a scorer. We need him. We will need him next year and the year after. Because CKS doesnt tend to recruit scorers for one thing. Rebounds, defense, trying real hard, etc is nice but at some point you need to score some dang points to win games. Sometimes scorers have a low shooting percentage like today. It happens. Move on we won and he should start the rest of the season no doubt.

CKS system is hand-made for oh no our scorer is shooting 25% today. How do we win anyway?

1 Like

Let’s put some facts in the conversation, here are some turnover stats:
Hinton…325 minutes played…11 to’s____0.03 to/minute
Sasser…225 minutes played…9 to’s____0.04 to/minute
Mills…215 minutes played…16 to’s____0.07 to/minute
Grimes…334 minutes played…27 to’s____0.08 to/minute
Jarreau…325 minutes played…28 to’s____0.11 to/minute

If you are looking at the the guy who turns it over more often, its Jarreau followed by Grimes.

1 Like

At severe risk of opening this can of worms again, my comment (in a thread about Caleb Mills) was about one particular move that Mills uses a lot that results in a ton of turnovers. The rest of my post about Mills was glowing. I nitpicked one particular thing he does that is nothing more than a minor irritation and was not, in any way, intended to condemn him as a basketball player, or anyone else on the team for that matter.

With that, I will let it go.

None of the other 3 handle the ball as much as Dejon and Quentin

2 Likes

Do not Mills and Sasser play the same positions as Jarreau and Grimes? When Mills and Sasser sub for Jarreau and Grimes they handle the ball as much. The stats are based on turnovers per minute played and they aren’t all playing at the same time.

Jarreau has ups and downs. Sometimes he looks great and sometimes he looks like hes lost control of hisarms and legs. But when he plays under control he is really good and fun to watch. When he tries to hot dog it is when he starts to turn it over more.

That’s not really true. Caleb has the ball in his hands a lot when he is playing. Hell, we just give it to Caleb and tell him to go make a play a lot. BYU, Okie State, and Oregon come to mind.

Caleb had the ball a lot in those games but he was mostly shooting, especially in the Oregon and Oklahoma State, where he was about the only player that could score in those games. Turnovers are more likely to happen when you pass the ball, which is what Dejon likes to do… he likes to get others going.

1 Like