Caleb Mills - Freshman of the week

Mills is a weapon with the ball in his hands but he is still learning.
For now he is best just focusing on scoring but it is nice to have so many guys who can run the point when needed on this team.
This guy has already had a wealth of valuable experience getting to practice against Robinson, Davis, Hinton, Jarreau, Grimes and Sasser. That is a lot of different types and sizes to develop his game against.
The physical development alone for Mills has been noticeable and he is not even halfway through his freshmen season. The past 4 games his improved defensive stance and play has been impressive. I know Sampson says we are still not good on defense with frehsman and I get he is still learning but the ability to play straight up and compete still makes a huge difference.

2 Likes

An interesting stats is the games Mills has lead us in scoring are the games we have lost. I do not mean to point that out saying we lost because of that, but that we put the ball in his hands when we were behind and needed scoringā€¦
As the season develops I think we will see more games like that from start to finish with more minutes.

1 Like

After his performance in Hawaii, he may be freshman of the week again this week.

1 Like

Russell, I sure hope you are right.

I think CKS has been sending a message and if he hasnā€™t gotten it by now, I doubt he will. Riding the bench can get a kids attention more than anything the coach says.

This team has depth.
Sasser doesnā€™t play the 2nd game then finished the last I min in the 3rd game.
White wins MVP honors for the tournament yet Gorham finished the game.
Harris and Gresham take their turns to defend Stewart
Jarreau has been effected more than any player with the loss of Davis and Brooks.
But he will still have his games to shine for this team.

Now.we have 9 days off to dial things in and prepare for AAC

3 Likes

Pesik - only bc I know you can take it, Iā€™ve got nothing to do on this conf call, and since @TJCoog started the scoreboarding in the other thread. Hereā€™s more :grinning:

I do think Caleb made the all aac team my friend.

Had to man. Sorry!

lol when people say ā€œall aacā€ they refer to the 1st teamā€¦ if i say hinton is going to be an ā€œall-aac playerā€ next year, you know we arent talking 3rd teamā€¦ in that same post i was advocating for him to be freshman of the yearā€¦

and you called for him to be a top 10 player in all of college basketball next year was what was being responded to mainly. i said freshmen of the year this year, 1st team all aac next year are good goalsā€¦1st team all aac this year and top 10 national player of the year next year is alot of expectation

Iā€™m not so sure I said top 10 next year. I think that was someone else. I agreed with you on that one.

All AAC is All AAC. Doesnā€™t matter to me if 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

Just admit that you didnā€™t think he would make any of the All AAC teams man.

i literally in that same post say he should be Freshman of the year, which is higher touted than a 3rd teamer, who would be your ā€œall-conferenceā€ā€¦at the time of the comment, i was saying he had a case over precious,who was a lock for some all conference team at the time. (though he wasnt seen as a first teamer at that time). how could i not think he could have atleast made the 3rd team, when i was saying he could have a resume better than someone who was a lock for some team???

i didnt think he would be 1st team all-conference, him getting 2nd team at seasons end was even surprising, i was expecting him to get 3rd (i expected kendric davis who many saw as POY candidate to get 2nd over him)ā€¦ but being on the best team i guess boosted his status ā€¦
to that same point when i said he could be FOY this year, i said he could be all-conference next yearā€¦so we are very clear i meant 1st team all-conferenceā€¦not just any teamā€¦

1 Like