Calif Dreamin'

The state has taken it upon themselves to circumvent the NCAA and create their own set of rules. If I were a player and this is actually passed then California here I come for my college career.

How will this affect recruiting for the PAC?

I disagree with this. This is just a slippery slope to making college football into an all out semi professional sport, which of course will cater to the haves more than to the have nots.

6 Likes

I would think the NCAA could still sanction teams for doing it as long as they are part of the NCAA. Perhaps a lawyer could offer a take.

3 Likes

Ready or not it’s coming. California is usually on the progressive front of policy changes in this country so I am not surprised.

There will probably be more widening of the haves and the have nots.

The NCAA has been dragging their feet on this issue which was inevitable. They simply need to set the right rules and regulations around it but like any rules in society, they are subjected to be broken.

1 Like

Aren’t California schools already banned from the CFPs ???
:smiley:

6 Likes

Well, California is such a model of how things should be done :sunglasses:.

The NCAA should stand firm on this one. Let California go their own way.

They can play with each other.

10 Likes

And here I thought we were gonna hear Momma Cass 

2 Likes

The only way this can happen is for the California schools to secede from the NCAA. As much as I detest the NCAA as a governing body, I wouldn’t think a California independent conference is a big enough market to draw much in the way of endorsement dollars. If those athletes aren’t subject to NCAA rules, why not just go pro and skip college altogether. The endorsement dollars would be much larger that way anyway.

2 Likes

Schools generate millions of dollars off the backs of players. Should they get full NFL salaries? Of course not but some form of monetary compensation is more than reasonable.

How much money did UH make off of Case Keenum, Greg Ward and Ed Oliver? Remind me again how much they received in return.

4 Likes

I thought the supreme court ruled awhile back that athletes could earn money from their name, likeness and image. It’s taking the NCAA too long to figure out what to do or simply tell everyone you are not going to do anything.

Make no mistakes about this. The ncaa is in cahoots with the NFL. One wants to keep the money and the other does not want to pay for a minor league system.
You can be sure that ncaa will fight this to the end. The O’Bannon was a clear indication of what’s to come.

1 Like

this will become a real mess if some states follow along and some states dont. This is going to force the hand of the NCAA to take action or their grip on student athletics will loosen, not such a bad thing really

2 Likes

No idea why anybody is against a player making money off his own image. I thought this was America.

4 Likes

Who made them play for UH? What about the 99% of scholared athletes that don’t go pro, do we pay them too? Or do we only pay those that make it into the NFL? Or do we do it by playing time? How do you determine how much they make for a school? Do walk ons get paid? If these athletes think they are being taken advantage of, then don’t accept a scholarship offer. Simple.

10 Likes

The school is not going to pay any athlete. The athlete is making money from their images like getting paid by an agency to autograph their pictures or being paid to let a company use their picture and name in a commercial.

1 Like

UH loses money on football. Maybe they lost less with those guys around

4 Likes

C[quote=“Ron1102, post:15, topic:20425”]
The school is not going to pay any athlete. The athlete is making money from their images like getting paid by an agency to autograph their pictures or being paid to let a company use their picture and name in a commercial.
[/quote]

If that is the case then I would agree with that! But if they expect the schools to pay the players to play, like the NFL teams do, then forget about it!

1 Like

This argument always seems to fall into
”well, what about
the so and so player on the end of the bench
”.

The reality is that college football and basketball is a big money business. The players see none of it. If I saw my jersey being sold at the bookstore or my face on a bill board to sell tickets. I would ask why shouldn’t I get paid.

Ok, you say
but they are getting paid with a scholarship. Yes, they are getting a scholarship. But their likeness is being used to sell and make more money
in the case of schools losing money
they lose,less.

The scholarship was offered before the player showed results. The scholarship was given on potential.

Once the potential was realized into results and marketability the schools run with it and give nothing extra to the player.

just that schools are making money off kids and they get nothing. A kid can’t go to a collector show and sign autographs, but a school will send out material autographed by the kid to boosters as gifts
or sell a signed jersey in an auction.

It is a one sided system in my opinion, weighed in the favor of the schools. But, I don’t pretend to have the answer of how to fix it.

1 Like

Eventually one day down the line, there will be salaries in college football. There is no other way around it long term and that is why the NCAA will fight any small progress because that is how it will start. Right now you could easily allow players to profit off their image while also setting limits to prevent boosters from going wild helping players get easy money. A set amount of appearances or signings a player is allowed to get paid for at a set amount, maybe a cut of jersey sales (means their name can be on them) for the first however many sold, limits to endorsement deals allowed in NCAA years, etc. All of those things don’t take any money from schools and allow players to control their image. You need a group who organizes for the players though. The NCAA does not look out for the players, there has to be a union or group that will negotiate with the NCAA if the NCAA will continue to block any progress.

I think the NCAA needs to set rules and regulations on it. Just as each school has a Title IX director, they can have something similar with this to make sure athletes aren’t taken advantage of and that they are following the rules.

Maybe they will require the athlete to put a certain amount in an interest baring account. I’m just saying there are a lot of ways you can do it. Pick one.