Calif Dreamin'

Yes I saw the eligibility part but it’s not going to come to that.

Maybe California is provoking a supreme court decision. Usually these cases go back to states rights as long as it’s not a civil violation case.

I think the NCAA is going to figure it out. The last thing they want is another long court battle.

There are numerous articles written on the subject of the State of California’s insolvency.

2 Likes

Last I heard, they were at least $25 billion in debt.

So much so that many of the celebrities who claim to live in other states or Canada may have to start paying state taxes !

1 Like

Actually, many are saying that. Many, many, many are saying they are playing for free.

Call me jaded, but honestly this was my first thought. Cali doesn’t tax Universities on income, but an entirely new class of captive tax payors would be created under this situation.
Without Silicon Valley, Cali would be even more bankrupt.

1 Like

Should have said no body here. Honestly though, the argument that they are already getting paid doesn’t change them not controlling their image. I am not for direct payments to players at this point, but do not understand people who don’t want them to make any money while playing.

if you are on football scholarship or any football players?

The stickiest part for me is that taxpayers fund some part of colleges, and therefore there are government strings to be pulled. Maybe all schools should be private, and let the users pay a market price for education, research, sports, young adult babysitting, etc.

4 Likes

Salaries such as with the NFL can set salary caps to help with trying to field competitive teams. The NCAA has no control over setting rules on someone paying for a players likeness outside of the school. The ability of companies to pay lawyers to back that up is immense, thus it would become a free market where only 20 teams would survive. UH would not be one of them.

That might not be all bad, as those 20 teams would go form their own minor league conference, and college ball might get back to college ball. That is a big risk though.

As to all the money being made on the backs of student athletes, almost all of that money goes back to them in the form of facilities, training, plus the aforementioned scholarships, housing and food. The school isn’t just pocketing the athletic funds in most all cases, but reinvesting in the student athletes with game stations, fountains, and really fancy locker rooms.

As to California, they can pass whatever law they want, their players wont be eligible to compete outside of the state or against other NCAA teams. They can see how that one state conference lasted with the SWC.

2 Likes

IMO, California is just different, not progressive.

The top 10-20 players will get contracts with shoe companies.

The next 1000 would get contracts from Joe’s Bar type places.

(My own preference is that athletes be paid by professional teams for drafting rights upon graduation. Not that it’ll happen.)

Who exactly is getting rich off of college athletics?

Most universities are running a deficit, including UH.

And any money that is made is either put back into the resources the players themselves get to use such has facilities, food, trips etc, or into coaches salaries, which again, the players benefit from directly.

In every case, any and all money that the universities make, the players benefits from already.

And if we are talking about coaches getting paid, well, 99% of those coaches are former players. So again, they, the players/students eventually get the benefit there.

So who is getting rich here, I am confused?

1 Like

It has been a loooong time since I read a National Letter of Intent…so bear with me. I don’t remember any assignment of personal image rights in these contracts. Perhaps there are peripheral University specific contracts which do so, and if not, then there should be.

IMO, endorsement $ is such a giant can of worms, which would bring in a ton of negative consequences, it is an endeavor to stay away from.

The goal is to put more (a lot more) standard cash into student athletes’ pockets, which to some extent will be equal among all athletes, across all D1 schools.
The NCAA should move quickly (Ha!) in this area to achieve this goal. The rub is that smaller schools have problems paying these monies to non revenue sports, including Title IX ladies sports. So to be clear, the biggies will still have a huge financial advantage over smaller schools dealing with this new outflow of cash. And to be sure, the smaller schools (Rice) will oppose this vigorously, as I have personally seen in the past.

There is tons of money thrown around with college athletics. That doesn’t happen without someone getting rich.

As for the coaches being former players, they are a very small percentage (only 10 FT staff for every 85 scholarship athletes in football) of those impacted and they usually aren’t the players that were making college football money when they played.

Also, while most schools run deficits, it’s not football causing the deficits. A lot of schools make plenty off football and use it to subsidize other sports.

I think “ screwed up” is the word you are looking for !

3 Likes

You can throw around a lot of money around and still lose money. The things they are doing in college sports are not cheap. Not sure what you mean.

It doesn’t matter what % of players are becoming coaches. It is that 99% of those coaches are former players.

And again, the coaches, former players, are being paid to coach the players, so only players themselves are benefiting from the best coaching. That is in any sport ever, if you want the best coaching, it isn’t free.

Yes, football makes the money, but unless you are wanting to change title 9, not sure what you mean. That is why this will be a huge issue eventually imo. See the US women’s soccer as an example of how paying football players more than softball players will not go down easily for a lot of activist groups.

But back to the original point, EVERY dollar that is made from the football, basketball etc, the players only benefit, either through hiring the best coaching, better facitlities, training tables, etc.

Cause the name of the game is to have the best team, meaning getting the best facilities and coaches for who, the players! And those things are not free!

The legislation allows student athletes to make money - not get paid to play at the school - but from other means taking advantage of their notoriety and skills.

If an athlete starts a youtube channel for talking, interviewing, about football at their school, they would be immediately sanctioned by NCAA. What other student is held to this standard?

If D’eriq King wants to sell a shirt with his face and a logo ‘follow the King!’, he would be ineligible to play. What other student cannot sell a shirt while in school?

It’s friggin’ unAmerican if you ask me.

Does this meant that you can make more money going to Bama than UH… YES! It does impact the haves and have-nots.

Big markets can make athletes more money. I’d rather go to UH and market myself in Houston than Lubbock. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ditto to that. I think the tide would change to big city schools because they have a big market to sell their autographed picture or advertisement on TV especially if you are a hometown boy where a lot of people already know you.

This could be a recruiting benefit for UH.

1 Like

Not everyone is losing money. That’s my point. Even if it’s not the schools (which is debatable). Someone is getting rich.

And, while 99% of coaches are probably former players, 99% of them were not on scholarship or even D1.

Most schools are losing money and a lot of money. But all of the schools, like I said, are putting ALL of the money right back into the school, and that only benefits the players themselves by hiring the best coaches, facilities, trips to Italy, food, trainers, Cage Rage events etc.

There isn’t some owner who is buying houses in the Keys or Paris.

The only people getting rich are because there is a market for the best coaches or administrators. Which in turn, only helps the players. Everything ends up helping the players directly cause there is a competition to get those players.

But if we start to pay the players other than their FREE education (something most of the world doesn’t have), then get ready for…

1. Agents
  2. Unions
  3. Strikes
  4. Free agency transfers (highest bidders)
  5. Diva players
  6. Extreme pay inequity on the teams themselves
  7. Possible activist group issues
  8. More gambling issues
  9. Contract issues (hold outs)
  10. It will be a 25 team college league now, bye bye UH football imo.

All of this to help maybe a few players on the top 25 or so schools. Not worth it to me!

4 Likes