Can we Talk Rice?

When I was an undergrad in late 80’s there was a hand-written note on the main library bulletin board from a Rice student stating that they wished Rice had a library as good as UH. Maybe that student hadn’t heard that you don’t say nice things about UH.

1 Like

There are other teams we could play besides FCS schools or Rice.

1 Like

Agree. Playing Rice only benefits Rice… and I don’t care to benefit them !

1 Like

On the contrary, we benefit (usually) from the easy victory, and from the extra “home” game with no big travel expense.

2 Likes

Disagree.

I like rice, rice is great when you’re hungry and you want 2,000 of something. I’m really good at eating with chopsticks. Especially if it comes with specialty sushi rolls and warm sake.

Our home attendance is always better for Rice and it’s a good road game because the crowd is half UH. Home and homes with Rice are better for our program than a home and home with pretty much any MAC, CUSA, or Sunbelt school and many of the MWC schools.

I don’t have a particular affinity for watching football games there vs. other venues, but I really enjoy watching hoops at Tudor.

Not me - we’ve been hosed there too many times by the Rice refs! Rice can go take a flying leap off a cliff, as far as I am concerned.

6 Likes

Absolutely…I was there at Rice stadium when Robert Newhouse scored a winning touchdown…Ooooooops…Rice refs and no TD and a loss.
I think I remember this correctly, it was so long ago. But that is what did it for me, and I haven’t seen anything to change my mind.

1 Like

I remember one loss at the Tudor Field House a few years ago that was so bad I swore I would NEVER attend another game there; the refs called everything against the Cougars, giving the game to Rice on a silver platter. Of course, when we played there again, I was there. STILL ANGRY!

2 Likes

Some of our youngsters on this board have never witnessed how bad we have gotten screwed at Rice, especially in hoops. That is the reason I knew they would play us closer this year than most here thought.
Last night’s game with UConn was perhaps the worst officiated game I have ever seen at UH, but at least the officials weren’t biased…they screwed everybody on the court and the sidelines…

3 Likes

They were horrible…they arrived in a Clown Car.

2 Likes

RIP Mitch Hedberg

2 Likes

We get screwed on the road all the time. That’s one of the reasons road wins are harder to come by. Remember the Temple game last year? There isn’t a set of “Rice officials.”

Agree it is tough to win on the road and normally officials are bias to the home team…but I am still scratching my head over last night lol.
And if you haven’t gone to many Rice games over there through the years you may not know what us older guys are talking about…
See you guys Sunday…gonna skip church to make this one, but pastor gonna give me a tape…lol

1 Like

But they were Owl officials.

1 Like

Our group was at the UH @ Rice Hoops game this season and the officiating was insanely ridiculous.

Playing Rice is enjoyable. A genuine rivalry is enjoyable. If we had the chance to play P5s all year every year, if it isn’t Texas (Rival) or TAMU, then we’d rather see a game against Rice. Old SWC Rival, great school to poke fun at when we meet our Rice friends (and vice versa), and better than the other schools/FCS that come up.

Your standards are incredibly low. I hate the place.

2 Likes

Does Rice have any fan sites? Something that would be the equivalent of Coogfans

I’m not too sure if either of their fans still care to use a lap top computer. They may be more interested in being outside listening to the world turn. :nerd_face: