2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

Oh yes. And one can even take the numbers and not realize that they fly in the face of someone’s opinion, but then say the original opinion reflects the numbers.

Passer ratings, adjusted completion percentages, numbers against the blitz, numbers against two or more rushers. So many different metrics. It’s enough to make your head spin.

I’m pretty sure that is referring to me. I’m curious how showing his numbers against the blitz in 2017 goes against what i said that he did much better against the blitz in 2017?

Here’s my take on Case in a nutshell. He should have been drafted and a team built around him. The first part is undisputable. The second will be proven this year. Go Broncos.

Similarly I’ve changed my tune about Nick. He went from a marginal douch bag to douch bag to total douch bag. It was within a 15 second time period so I’m not sure how that affects the comparison.

3 Likes

Not a very good first drive - another 3-and-out:
1st down Handoff for 4 yds
2nd down flea flicker, but errant throw due to being pressured
3rd down incomplete way-off pass to the sideline

Give him time to jell…takes time.

Okay 2nd drive lots of movement. Case goes 5-7 for 49yds on the drive and they get a FG.

1st down 18 yd bullet off play action.
After a run, a 13 yd roll-out pass to the tight end.
Another complete quick pass to the sideline followed by a PA completion for the first down.
Two end zone attempts fall incomplete and the drive ends at the Bears six with a screen pass.

If that lowering the helmet rule isn’t tweaked before game 1, it will be a disaster. The rule should include the ball carriers not lowering their helmet before contact. How they heck is a defender suppose to tackle someone ducking their head with making contact with the head?

3 Likes

Drive #3

Complete PA pass to TE for short gain.
After a short run, a sideline bullet for a first down on 3rd and 4.
Case gets sacked for first time on 2nd down… unavoidable.
Doesn’t matter as another first down gain of 10 yds on 3rd &8.
An off sideline incomplete pass followed by a deep bomb to Sutton that gets a PI call for 45 yd penalty and then a TD run by the rookie tailback and a successful 2pt conversion pass from Case.

He went 3/4 for 29 yds. Two good drives out of three so far.

1 Like

He looked good. Lynch is with the thirds, I did not know that.

He has been sailing some balls. I don’t know if it is adrenaline, but it isn’t normal for him. He will calm down, get his rhythm, and hopefully have a good year. That offensive line is worrisome though.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/TaylorKilgore33/status/1031003584421355520

They have a backup 2nd year guy named Chad Kelly. He played at Mississippi but was drafted late due to injury.

Hs’s been performing great in the two preseason games so naturally there’s a segment of their fan base that is enamored and see him as the long term solution.

For Keenum, last year showed us that having a popular backup didn’t impact him negatively. If anything it emboldened his play.

Denver is currently contemplating whether to add a veteran backup, but may just go with CK & CK to start th season.

1 Like

Sorta, imo… I believe Case needs to run around a bit… as did a former Minnesota Vikings Legend, Fran Tarkington

I believe you take the gifts of guys like these and flex the offense to let them do their thing. I’ve always said, The WORST thing you could do to Case for your defense is run him out of the pocket!

One thing about Case is that he had to improvise from playing at UH where OL and OL depth was always a weakness. Philly, and I think Arizona, killed Kevin Kolb by making him stay in the pocket that never was consistent. When there ain’t one (as per the Texans through the years) you better have a QB who thinks quickly under heavy adrenaline influence.

When Keenum was loaned to the Texans some years back you may recall that he was permitted to run around a little more and was far more effective for it.

I remember when the TV commentators conventional wisdom was "a scrabbling QB could never win a championship . . . . . Funny how wrong they have been proven to be . . . . .

1 Like

Couple videos posted of all Keenum’s pass attempts.

The first one is shorter and has all of them.

The second video shows most of them with longer commentary.

Edit - the NFL actually uploaded this to their Twitter page. Respect
https://twitter.com/nfl/status/1031511752171708416?s=21

4 Likes

I wonder how that guy feels about his hot sports take today. Cousins was absolutely terrible this week. :laughing:

5 Likes

Man it looks like he has really worked on his velocity

Scrambling and eluding tacklers is a Case specialty. However, it increases the odds of injury and for these preseason practice games it isn’t really worth it.

What bothers me is that so many teams spend all their effort on “skill positions” but neglect the OL that is necessary to allow these guys a chance to show off their talent. BTW, to me the OL are the skill players, the WR/RB’s are talent positions. Blocking techniques are skills that must be developed; being able to run fast is a talent or God given ability.

8 Likes