CDH in studio for Matt Thomas show

Reality Check - UH has won 10 games or more only eight (8) times in our 73 year FB history. That’s ~10% of our seasons.

UH has never averaged 10 wins/year over a five year period. The best we’ve ever done is average 9 wins/year over a five year period in both C-USA and the AAC - due to the change to a 12 game season + conference championship games + bowl games = a 14 game season.

If CDH can average winning 10 games a year, he will have the best record in UH FB history.

6 Likes

4 of those 8 were in the last 13 seasons. For reasons you mentioned, it’s become easier to win 10 games in recent years. That’s closer to 1/3 of our seasons with 10+ wins since 2006. We’ve fired 2 coaches in those 13 years too.

I’m not saying averaging 10 wins will be easy but I think it’s doable today if we can keep a good coach.

1 Like

That’s because for most of our seasons, they were 10 game seasons and there were only about 15 bowl games total.

Bowl games use to be a reward for a great season, now… they are effectively the 13 th game.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree with that. Certainly a challenge but Boise has won 52 games the last five years. UCF has averaged 13 wins the past two seasons and will very likely get to 48+ the next three years. Memphis and SDSU are both a couple wins shy of averaging 10 per season the last five years. It’s not like the old days when teams played 10-11 games and there were 10-12 bowls. Now schools play 12, sometimes a championship game, and get to a bowl with 6 wins. We were 10-4 in ‘06 and ‘09.

4 Likes

That would make sense. The PAC 12 probably needs to do something to enhance their appeal. They’re pushing a potential viewership of 70 million, yet they barely finished ahead of the ACC, which had the smallest payout per school of all the power five conferences. Of course we’re still talking 30 million, but the Big 10 is over 50 mil per university, and the SEC is just behind them. And of course the PAC has had only one team in the CFP the last four years, and this past basketball season the PAC sent just three teams to the NCAA Tournament. The other four P5s averaged 7 teams per league.

The problem I see with UH and the PAC is the same one that’s been there for years: what school goes with us? If Texas and Oklahoma end up in the Big 10 in a few years, I could see the PAC being interested in UH, Tech, Kansas, and another Big 12 school, maybe Iowa State or TCU. In the meantime, though, if they were to act before any other conference movement, unlikely IMO, I don’t know who there is to consider. It’s a shame that in the Dallas market SMU is more like Rice rather than UH in Houston.

1 Like

I am sorry but I do not buy the uta supported us point. espn is the small12 carrier. uta runs the small12. They could have “imposed” that we got in. This is especially true since atm went to the SEC. Yes espn does not care if the Houston greater area has the SEC in since they are their carrier. Were any of us in the negotiations? No. Today’s reality is fact. When you want a School in especially with the cord cutting issues it would have happened. The Houston media market is not small potatoes . ou not happy with it? espn would have find a way to get them into the SEC. The small12 could have easily expand with Cinci (partner to WV) UCF (huge recruiting area) and U of H to replace ou. uta used us a pawn and got more money. It is easy and gratuitous to say you support us but what is the end game? I ask you. The small12 got more money and we are in the AAC.

I do. Now I think it was for selfish reasons and maybe somewhat due to political pressure. But they knew UH would add to their voting bloc with Tech, BU, TCU, and WVU. Times have changed. Texas is a blueblood and always will be. Doesn’t mean we couldn’t knock them off their perch now and then, take a Houston area recruit, etc. But they’re always going to be fine regardless of who joins the Big 12.

1 Like

Im fairly sure that ESPN is the one that scuttled the expansion. They flat out didnt want to pay an extra 20 million each a year for 2 to 4 teams they only had to pay 2 million a year for (soon to be 7 million a year). Additionally, the expansion simply didnt work from a financial stand point. Even with the “pro rata” share clause, the existing teams would still make less money because the CFP/Bowl/Sponsorship money that accounts for nearly half of the B-12 revenue would not expand. That half of the revenue would fall on a per team basis when its divided 12 or 14 ways rather than 10 ways. The expansion would have only been marginally profitable to the existing teams for a few years while the new additions were just getting partial shares. It never made sense after the first few years.

1 Like

Lots of G5 teams have risen up for a good year or two. Houston has consistently done pretty since well Briles arrived in 2002—but despite being generally quite solid—we have had a few 5-7 bumps in the road. The most consistent teams to rise from the G5 are Boise and TCU. The thing they had in common is a good coach who stayed a long time. That consistency makes a HUGE difference in building a high level of performance that is sustained over a long period of time. Thats the one ingredient the UH football program has been missing since CBY. After a decade of investment—we have the recruiting grounds, the budget, and the facilities to build a very good program with consistent sustained success—and now the only missing ingredient—a good coach who will stay a long time—may very well finally be in place. The future looks pretty bright to me.

4 Likes

Agreed. If they truly supported us, then we would be in. They get what they want. In the end, they wanted the additional money from ESPN more than they wanted UH in the conference. Not surprising.

2 Likes

You’re right. Texas is a blueblood though in a P5 UH could be a blueblood in 50 or 60 years of winning, larger fan base and some championships, but right now, we will settle for being a perennial power which is what Clemson is.

2 Likes

What a great interview. If you haven’t listened to it I suggest you download the podcast.

1 Like

I’m with you on that. They may have supported us publicly; but what goes on behind closed doors is another thing altogether.

2 Likes

If UT supported us, we would be in. Period. They did not.

5 Likes

I agree, but I think it will take less time, We need to win the NC at least 5 times…(UT has 5)…and stay consistently winning…

:flushed::grimacing: