CFP is broken with no signs of being fixed

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/college-football-is-broken-and-shows-no-signs-of-being-fixed/ar-BBZ3xwJ?li=BBnba9I

Good points about the rich getting richer, the gap between the haves and have nots growing.

3 Likes

I can’t believe I’m seeing Michigan listed as an institutionally slighted have-not.

3 Likes

You want to see the future? Look at FCS.

Is that the future for FBS as a whole or the future of the G5?

Yes

Let’s hope. Having an actual NC instead of voting being involved is 100% better.

Americans love a Cinderalla:
Rocky
Remember the Titans
Hoosiers
American hockey team v Russians
Karate Kid
The Game of the Century in Dome
Magical stories of inspiration that capture and amplify public interest.
Sadly, as the article proves, we will never see that in College Football under its present structure.

2 Likes

It doesnt matter. Look at FCS. Same teams every year

5 Likes

The only football team you mentioned was a high school team that mauled everyone on their real life schedule despite the dramatic license that was taken by the filmmakers.

11 programs have made at least one playoff in the five years of the playoff. The problem us that there is often a huge talent gap between the four teams that are included. Washington, Michigan State and Notre Dame all made the playoff once and were thrashed in the first round. Oklahoma hasn’t been competitive in three of their four playoff appearances.

So, they can expand the playoff to eight teams, but I doubt very seriously that it’s going to lift up any sort of “Cinderella” teams. Instead, you’ll see Alabama, Clemson or the like whale on the eight seed 56-0 instead of beating a fourth seed 33-0.

2 Likes

Put the Cougars in a P5 conference with the same resources, media coverage and opportunities and we can test your theory that “lower level” programs can not compete. KC is playing in the Super Bowl after a 50 year absence so programs can rise and come back.

2 Likes

Most of the time one would expect an Alabama or Clemson to beat a #8 seed badly, but often this is not the case.

In 2019 UCF played LSU and lost 40-32. LSU was 9-3 and UCF was 12-0 going into the game.

LSU was playing without several starters but had their starting QB, Joe Burrow go 21/34, 394 yds, and 4 TD’s with one Int.

UCF used two QB’ but were without their sensational QB, Milton.

Everyone talked about how UCF lost to a LSU team that was not at full strength. Chase and several other starting WR’s played and several RB’s.

Basically the nucleus of a 2020 unbeaten championship team was playing UCF and UCF lost by 8 points. It would have been interesting to have watched Milton leading UCF with Burrows leading LSU.

But hey, no way can a UCF type G5 team compete. Next thing we will be seeing posts about how UCF went unbeaten the year before and defeated an Auburn team that had beaten Alabama. Right, could not happen. They didn’t bring their A game, etc. etc.

Why even play the games, just have a super conference of 24 teams and have a FCS playoff for all other P5/G5 teams. After all, the AAC went 2-2 against P5 teams this past bowl season.

You’re putting words in my mouth. The point I was making in my post is that expanding the playoffs to eight isn’t going to increase the amount of parity. LSU would have crushed Wisconsin (ranked #8 in the CFP poll) just as badly, if not worse than Oklahoma. You can plug in any G5 champion to that 8th spot and I’m betting the outcome will be the same.

You’re comparing college to the pros as if there is some kind of congruence between the two. Yes, the play the same sport. But note the differences.

The NFL- draft
salary cap
Free agency
Players union
No academic constraints

College- Recruiting
Scholarship limits
Eligibility limits
Etc.

North Dakota State is the Alabama of the FCS.

Are we sure about that? Kansas, Maryland, Ole MIss, they all struggle even with big conference money. There’s no guarantee we’ll be elite with P5 money. We still have to take care of our house.

Eventually times change. At one time Army rules CFB. Don’t be short sighted. Times and populations shift. Dedications shift. Look at 50 years, not 5.

I would take it a step further n say they are UCLA basketball of 60s and early 70s. NDSU has won 8 of 9 FCS Ships.

While this is true for Hollywood TV ratings say otherwise. America stands up and cheers when the upset happens, then no one watches the game that George Mason advanced to because Duke is no longer there unless GM next game is against Kansas. Using a March Madness example there but you start knocking top SEC teams out of a big FCS type playoff TV ratings would tank. That’s just reality and that’s what drives CFP decisions. Not fairness not level playing field TV money is King.

1 Like