Chinese Star Restaurant campus lease not renewed - will be replaced

UH DECLINES TO RENEW POPULAR RESTAURANT’S LEASE

Chinese Star Restaurant will close on December 17th after the university declined to renew its lease.

This is a horrible decision by UH. There is a petition to help save the restaurant.

Signed it. Small business owners deserve a chance.

2 Likes

It’s been 6 years. As of March google shows an eyesore of empty field with some trash in front of it now. So why was this family run business forced to close?

3 Likes

Idk… I loved it when I was studying at UH.

Still visited that place a couple times a year even after i graduated in 97. Loved the olace. We called it Running Dog.

Typical real estate move - get them out and decide what to do later or anything at all -obviously those folks worked with the group who demolished Astroworld

Yeah, nothing done still. They want it to be a food truck park. Still nothing

Just wait til you see the hub. Cheap affordable food in the satellite no more.

No idea what the concepts will be. Probably bad. Hipster overpriced “tryna look cool” food

Let’s face it, UH has become a for profit institution.

1 Like

I know most folks don’t think they are but colleges are business and they still need to make money.

Maybe UH did this to help the food places within UH like pinks pizza etc.

Not sure if this is the case here, but independent restaurants in Houston are running two-three years from conception to opening. Primary causes are Covid, city permitting, shortage of construction materials/workers and hiring personnel.

At the rate UH is going, they’ll put a Shake Shack, Chuy’s, or Cheesecake Factory there. You know, over priced corporate chain restaurants.

I just went to Frenchy’s. Still do

1 Like

I hope they aren’t over thinking the new Hub with expensive and exotic food. Kids just want fast cheap regular food.

1 Like

Too bad all the Vietnamese moved to Bellaire, we could get some cheap food when they were in mid town. A Banh mi was only 75 cents when I was at UH. Less than a Big Mac at the time. Lunch special at Kim Son for like $3. Now it’s the time of the $15 burgers.

1 Like

We were ready to move on from the Chinese Star and I really don’t have a huge problem with it. No telling if we are actually going to use the space for anything more than parking. There was never a plan for anything to be done with that space in the short term.
I was just on campus and the addition of the new Law school is really going to help that area look so much better. No more road block at the end of Calhoun.
July 1st is the target day for the Nooks expansion to the rooftop with food service and bar options to officially open. The new Frenchy’s on Scott should be open by the end of the summer.
Really liking all the expanded sidewalks around campus.
The Satellite project is well under way. Looking forward to seeing what this will add to the campus. There is already a lot of cheap options for students around campus so something a little different that attracts students to that side to hang out will be great.
As for the Cullen road project, it is coming along. Most of it is done with the exception of a little passed Holman in front of the GVL Center to the other side of Wheeler. Unfortunately the area in front of the stadium will be the main section not completed for this upcoming season. It is all going to look great when finished and be a huge help with flooding issues. .
All in all there is a whole lot of construction around campus. Two of the biggest with the Medical and Law schools should be open for business come August.

1 Like