Chris Beard to UT

https://twitter.com/ChipBrown247/status/1378024125957079045

What do you about a school that goes after another schools coach while a school is in the middle of a historic season and not waiting till the season is over before going after a coach? And creating a huge distraction so the school can’t prepare for a huge game?

Anyone that says or even implies that UNC would replace Roy Williams who just retired at age 70 with CKS, who’s currently 65, just isn’t thinking. They’re going to try and lock up a coach with at least 15-20 years left in the tank.

3 Likes

Scott Drew is who UNC will target
 there’s a chance we just witnessed the glory years of Baylor and TTech 

4 Likes

I think Drew would be a home run hire but would they really go for someone with no ties to the state/program?

Roy Williams was a Kansas guy before he went to UNC

And an assistant under Dean Smith for 10 years

2 Likes

No he wasn’t. He was NC guy way b4 Kansas. He went to Kansas bc Dean Smith wasn’t going anywhere. Born in NC, went to School-- NC, ASST at NC for abt 10 yrs, then he went to Kansas. Then back to NC when DS retired. They’ve been hiring close to the NC Family for long time, they even acknowledge it. Not saying will happen again but it’s something they’ve purposely done for a while. #DoHomework

Thank you!

I don’t even need to look up, thgs u should know if you follow CBB.

1 Like

They might try but UNC in no way is a fit for Drew. He will stay and BU will make sure of that. Drew and Mulkey are set. But it could be a long shot they go after Jerome Tang, Drews sidekick for 18yrs. If so, I would implore him to take it. Drew’s coaching lineage is starting to pay dividends for other schools so I would not at all be surprised.

I mean again I think Drew would be a great hire, I just know that legacy is everything at places like UNC. They believe they’re gods gift to the sport of basketball and thus shouldn’t have to look outside their own insular world to find success. The couple articles I’ve read on it make a good case for Wes Miller fitting that ideal candidate role. That said if they decide to think outside the box and call Drew, he gone. You don’t turn UNC down for Baylor.

1 Like

Who are you referring to? Sampson to UNC? Yeah, that would be sleazy IMO. But these are the only names I’ve seen as early possibilities.

North Carolina head coaching candidates

• Hubert Davis, UNC assistant coach . 

• Wes Miller, UNC -Greensboro coach . 

• Billy Donovan, Chicago Bulls coach . 

• John Beilein, Big Ten Network analyst. 

• Porter Moser, Loyola coach . 

• Jerry Stackhouse, Vanderbilt coach . 

• Kenny Smith, TNT analyst. 

• LeVelle Moton, North Carolina Central coach

There are others I am sure. I’m just unaware of who they are. They can leave Drew along bc BU is not going to let him go. As I posted to Pesik, his asst Jerome Tang, his asst for 18yrs would be a possibility and I would implore him to explore it if they offer it. But these guys have spent way too many yrs building a program from scratch to abandon it. Sure, it could happen, but as of now I just don’t see it.

I’m completely perplexed and also disappointed at how many threads are started having to do with all things UT. Our base on this board needs to forget about Texas and focus on all things University of Houston. We’re a better basketball program and have been historically. We have plenty to discuss about OUR boys on Culllen Blvd. Stop with the UT obsession.

2 Likes

I think you are incorrect on this one. I don’t think UNC has the patience Drew would require. None of his signees will play their first year and that would not set well with signees for UNC. Plus, Drew and Mulkey too, are the entire reason BU has a muti-million dollar bball complex in the pipeline so I believe they are set on staying. Plus, BU has the 7the ranked 2022 class coming and 4th per some so he knows he has a good deal in place.

we tend to talk about all things sports
 the thread has actually switched to talking about UNC
there isnt an obsession here with Texas

it also affects us, we play beard/texas tech most offseasons in a secret scrimmage, theres a dynamic of if texas becomes our secret scrimmage now

coachs leave all the time after building programs 
 the 1st 4 you listed are legtimate option that UNC will look at
 theyd target drew before the next 4

You’re a Baylor fan right? Totally understandable that you would think that. However, I guarantee you that if Drew was the coach at literally any other school you’d be able to see how easy his decision would be.

The Beard scrimmage angle is one thing, but you can’t deny the attention Austin get versus all other schools on this board.

I’m talking about Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin and Tom Herman.