Christopher_Lambert on The question of value

https://cfb.forumbee.com/t/80svh9/the-question-of-value

“There are just not enough cable subscribers in Oklahoma to punch their ticket to the B1G.”

1 Like

Thats not valid. They are a national program with fans all over the country, not just Oklahoma.

2 Likes

Correct. Oklahoma is like Nebraska.

If OU joined the B1G, the subscribers added would be those in Oklahoma.
If UH joined a P5 conference would the subscribers be for the Houston area or the entire state?

1 Like

That’s a good comparison only OU is more of a blueblood. They’re generally considered one of the top five all-time programs. Lambert is scared the Big 12 will fracture, and WVU will be left out. I think the ACC would be more interested in UH and Cincinnati than WVU. West Virginia has fewer people than Greater Cincinnati plus the league would expand into Ohio, the 7th largest state, and add another traditional basketball program.

2 Likes

The question and definition of value will change dramatically as the shift towards streaming continues. Once that happens there is no longer value in semi- casual fans who will tune in for a quarter to check out a team they sort of are interested in. Eyeballs can be counted and for how long they are fixated on the product. It will be less about advertising markets and more about content. It is going to be very similar to boxing where it is all about the matchup. Oklahoma will do well in that environment.

4 Likes

A few facts:
Oklahoma population 2019 = 3.95 million with 0.84% growth rate (less than 1%)
Kansas population 2019 = 2.92 million with 0.57% growth rate (less than 1%)
West Virginia population 2019 = 1.79 million with 0.18% growth rate (less than 1%)
Houston metropolitan area population 2019 = 6.997 million expected to top 10 million by 2040.

The Houston Metropolitan area only extends east to Baytown, west to Sealy, north to Huntsville. When you throw in SE Texas to Louisiana border, it’s even more.

2 Likes

OU is not a national fan base school. Neither is Nebraska. That just a plain fact. People will watch the matchups, but will not follow the team like a Notre Dame.

1 Like

Wow.

I remember when a comment like this would have caused a war. The death of the Sooner - Husker rivalry was a very sad day for CFB.

4 Likes

Not up here in B1G territory. UT is pretty much never thought of.

I watch 1 UT game a year, so I can root for OU. That is one more game than most people up here watch UT. The week of the OU-UT game, a CMU-WMU game would get mentioned on the nightly sportscast before OU-UT, unless it’s a top 5 matchup, then maybe it gets mentioned. OU-UT is never mentioned up here as a rivalry game. Part of that could be because it is played much earlier than normal rivalry games.

UT is big in the SW, not so much in the Midwest (although, I don’t consider Michigan Midwest.)

3 Likes

ACC and SEC have already turned down WVU even though WVU was pushing hard once the Big East was breaking up. They also don’t have the academics to really fit in the ACC or B1G and they’re too far from the PAC12. If it wasn’t for Oliver Luck’s relationship with Deloss Dodds, it’s likely they would be in the American right now.

If the Big12 starts to hemorrhage, WVU would have nowhere to go.

3 Likes

If the blueblood OU can’t bring in $95M for the B1G, how can UH bring in that much? I wonder what are the dollar figures in calculating fees from the Big Ten Network?

I know UH to the B1G is a long shot, but I am wondering what is our value to the B1G?

Red, it extends pass Baytown and is rowing out towards Liberty and Winnie. Oh and SW it is growing towards Wharton. It is way pass Sugarland now and into Richmond Rosenberg(7 miles south of that on 59 or I-69.

Agree. They are not in a strong position.

1 Like

I don’t see any chance of UH going to the Big 10. I do think the ACC, PAC 12, or maybe a watered-down Big 12 are real possibilities in another 3-4 years.

6 Likes

yep…and you have ut to thank for that !

1 Like

Unless OU is an AAU school, the point is moot

Okay reading the article and these posts, the B1G will not add OU for monetary reasons. Wouldn’t this be the same scenario for OU to the SEC although the SEC schools may share some cultural similarities with OU?

I’m a military kid I’ve lived a lot of places including the midwest. Bama and Ohio State. That’s pretty much it when you talk about walking into any foot locker in any mall and buying a shirt. Notre Dame and Michigan used to be that way but they’ve faded. USC, Texas, Oregon, FSU, Florida, Miami, OU, Nebraska etc. have had national followings when they were national championship good but they have to stay on top to stay there.

I still don’t know how UT tricked ESPN into the LHN but well played. I agree with Fred they are very popular in Texas, good for them.

1 Like