Chron Opinion: Cancel UH Football This Fall

I refuse to give The Daily Longhorn clicks

1 Like

As with everything, there are exceptions to the rule. Some professors like college sports and see the value to school recognition, player access to college, and unity built by attending games, though I do agree the majority live in their ivory towers of academia.

In my undergrad years, I had a professor let us out of night class so we could catch a basketball game vs Arkansas one year they were highly ranked.

I am also a college professor, though not at a division I school, and fully support the idea of college athletics.

While I served on the Athletics Advisory Board (87-94), the majority of Board Members were all tenured Professors, and heads of their Departments. All were completely Gung Ho on Athletics, and some of the most wonderful Cougars that I have ever known…

That is why it fries my bottom when a UH Prof comes out with a “cancel sports” narrative, with an axe to grind…
AND our beloved city paper is more than happy to publish…

5 Likes

State Fair of Texas just cancelled football ain’t far behind I’m afraid

2 Likes

Zaretsky is being remarkably disingenuous with a title like that too, or he is ignorant of the facts which would be shameful because i looked it up and it took me about 20 seconds thanks to the CDC website.

143 ppl between the ages of 15-24 died in 4 months from Covid. That is out of a possible 43,300,000.

The players are fine.

A more appropriate title would maybe say something like, “Lets not have close contact sports so that super spreader events don’t occur and lead to devastation amongst the 50 and up/underlying condition groups”. Granted thats not catchy.

1 Like

Several players tested positive again this week so no they are not fine

Cancelled is NOT the appropriate word…MOVED is the appropriate word…Now that the Ivies have moved football to Spring semester, i look for everyone else in college football to do the same thing…and spring doesnt mean springtime, it means spring semester…Football like to start in January… college FB needs their crowds. Aggie and Texas already making noise about doing it…It is going to happen.

1 Like

If you tested everyone in Houston, I would think that ~10% would test positive. Of course, the tests are most likely flawed and a few false positive results are likely. I’m pretty sure that they will self quarantine and then retest in a couple of days.

I wish these pro athletics professors would come forward and counter these anti-athletics professors when they mouth off on a platform like the local paper. Maybe they don’t want to upset the apple cart in the professor community, but really should counter these nonsensical positions.

1 Like

I only made it about 1/5th of the way through that article…sorry I clicked it.

2 Likes

Tough to filter politics out of sports these days. Much to the dismay of many of us, the players have integrated politics with our sports now.

2 Likes

We’re talking about death rate for 18-24 year olds.

montcoog,

Any law professors in that group? Because back in my law school time (1994-1997) the two most gung-ho anti-athletics UH faculty members were law professors Stephen Huber and Robert Palmer.

1 Like

No new positives this week. Those are the ones who are still recovering, and must have two negative tests before they are allowed to return.

Why is January going to be different from September?

I’m not speaking for aldineblue, but I think we should hopefully know by the end of this year whether there’s a viable COVID-19 vaccine or not. So, I assume it’s a let’s-wait-until-Fall-and-see approach.

From the link provided below:

The United States will know by the end of the year or the beginning of 2021 whether a coronavirus vaccine is safe and effective, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious diseases doctor, said Monday.

Link:

Ninety percent of the Houston region doesn’t get the Chron or read its website.

Most of the rest didn’t read that op-ed.

The few that did read it already have an opinion on athletics in universities.

This op-ed changed nobody’s mind, influenced no one of importance, and is a minority opinion.

It is on this site that we obsess over these things. Obviously, most of us already have strong feelings about a lot of this stuff. So many of us won’t let things end. E.g., Duarte’s one article on covid.

Let it go. There are many professors who like athletics a lot. Most are probably indifferent to some degree. The board and the chancellor want athletics. So nothing’s changing. Let it go.

3 Likes

Waiting for a Vaccine…, that process is not going to get us back to football anytime soon

Well said.

I just don’t see how we are playing in the fall. I would love to be wrong. I have had a lifetime if Coogs football and miss it terribly. But I have had a lifetime of baseball and miss it terribly but I am not excited about this 60 game season. It seems contrived. Thats how I feel about football in the fall, it just doesn’t feel right.

2 Likes