Cincy firing Brannen

https://twitter.com/Williams_Justin/status/1380602721884119040?s=19

To be fair, Fickell always looks like heā€™s upset about something. Iā€™m not sure that dude really knows how to smile. I searched Google images and you have to scroll down a bit to come across something that even looks like a smile.

1 Like

I hope UC is ready to pay the man for firing him

2 Likes

Also lets be honest, Cinci is wasting money on these man sport coaches.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS

Year Sport Head Coach
1961 Menā€™s Basketball Ed Jucker
1962 Menā€™s Basketball Ed Jucker
2004 Dance (Hip-Hop) Lisa Spears
2005 Dance (Hip-Hop) Lisa Spears
2006 Dance (Hip-Hop) Lisa Spears
2009 Dance (Hip-Hop) Lisa Spears
2014 Dance (Hip-Hop) Kelsey Hamada
2015 Dance (Hip-Hop) Kelsey Hamada
2017 Dance (Hip-Hop) Maureen Housum

The ladies bring home the trophies!!!

2 Likes

uc president is backing the AD

https://twitter.com/Prez_Pinto/status/1380616003718025216

Any chance they give Kellen a call?

kellen would say noā€¦ they are a mess right now

1 Like

Cincy about to become irrelevant in both sports

2 Likes

Archie Miller or Bryce Drew.

2 Likes

I think Cincy wouldā€™ve been a good job for Shaka. Thereā€™s typically no entitlement at UCā€¦most of their kids appear to be hard workers and have a bit of a chip on their shoulder (like all AAC non-Memphis players do).

2 Likes

:popcorn: on that Fickell text.

3 Likes

Yeah, but who wants to work at Cincy after this debacle, especially an up-and-comer (not referring to Shaka at this point)? They might end up with some desperate retread like Tubby Smith.

3 Likes

Someoneā€¦a hotshot will take it on. Watch Cincy go bottom dollar on a hotshot from some middlin conference on the great plains.

I canā€™t imagine them dropping large coins right now.

Either way the conf doesnā€™t need to wait three years for Cincy to field a tourney team. The conference needs on a strong cincy bball program every year.

For me playing Cincy every year is a reason to like the AAC.

This is an ugly divorce up here. Brannenā€™s attorney is trashing the AD, John Cunningham, and claiming that UC never stuck to conditions of the contract. He alleges that, although Brannenā€™s contract states that he would report directly to Cunningham, the AD put him under the Athletics Departmentā€™s CFO. [Athletics departments have CFOā€™s? Whoā€™da thunk it?]

All sorts of names are being bandied around to replace Brannen, ranging from former UC players to mostly current D1 head coaches. Archie Millerā€™s name has cropped up prominently. A number of fans want Bryce Drew. Dennis Gates, a Leonard Hamilton protege, now at Cleveland State, may get an interview.

Another name that was tossed out there for consideration by a local sports reporter was none other than Archieā€™s brother, Sean. Nothing spells NCAA bloodhounds like hiring a guy who was wiretapped by the FBI and caught negotiating a payment for DeAndre Ayton.

I doubt that this takes very long. Nearly an entire roster needs to be brought in. Only four players remain after seven entered the portal: Jeremiah Davenport, Mika Adams-Woods, David DeJulius and a freshman forward from Russia, Viktor Lakhin, who spent his first year at UC rehabbing after knee surgery. Itā€™s possible that Tari Eason and/or Mikey Saunders could return from the portal, but there certainly are no guarantees.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, who do you want to be the next HC? I feel like if I were a fan I would be leaning Archie as well. Especially with the success he had at Dayton

Archie, Drew or get really wild and crazy and go hire Nick Van Exel.

Dennis Gates I think is going to be a big time coach at some point. Is he too green at this point for Cincy?

Archie would be my first choice. Heā€™s familiar with coaching in this region and had great success at Dayton.

Unless Van Exel gets his degree, heā€™s ineligible at UC. Another former player whose name has cropped up is Eric Martin, who played for Huggins in the '92 Final 4. Heā€™s been an assistant for Huggs for 15 years, but has never been a head coach at any level.

Iā€™m not a big fan of former players, particularly one who has no D1 head coaching experience. There have been a few exceptions, but the field is littered with favorite sons who came home and failed miserably. During the darkest days of UCā€™s program, back in the '80ā€™s, UC hired Tony Yates, the PG on the 1961-62 national championship teams. He was born here and had been the top recruiter at Illinois when hired here. The results were miserable, including a 3-24 record his first season.

1 Like

5 players is scary when you donā€™t have a coach.

The only thing I see from the Brennan camp that I donā€™t like is his attorney airing a private message from Fickell to help his client. That is Busch league crap and reeks of desperation. You donā€™t put a confidante in a precarious spot, especially when he supports you.

You guys are in a position where you need an experienced head coach. The program needs to be turned over a bit, itā€™s not in as good of shape as it was when Mick left.

Itā€™s still better than when Huggins resigned and Andy Kennedy, the interim, was not retained. When Mick came aboard, he had one scholarship player, a transfer from a D2 school that dropped athletics and a walk-on football player. If that wasnā€™t bad enough, the ragamuffin transfers he brought in had to knock heads with 'Cuse, UConn, UofL and the rest of the Big East.

Well, itā€™s better ā€¦ if ā€¦ the four players who didnā€™t bolt to the portal donā€™t change their minds.

1 Like