City Tournament

On the other hand, if we don’t allow a program like St. Thomas to participate in a city tournament, then are we effectively demonstrating the same level of discrimination towards them that we are currently experiencing being left out of a P5 conference.

Except P5 games against UH would count. Games against D3 opponents are exhibition games.

P5 programs not playing UH is more like UH not playing TSU/PV/HBU.

That was probably a somewhat accurate analogy for not playing us 7 years or so ago. Nowadays scheduling a home and home with us is probably the equivalent of a solid P5 program at worst like Arizona State, NC State or something.

That’s fair. P5 is a football concept anyway.

My only point as the OP was to cut down on travel costs, we paly a number of lower level schoolsimilar to these and in many cases these schools (HBU, Rice, PVA&M in the past) anyway, and TSU is usually decent.

I’ve answered you on this.

What travel costs do you want to cut down? Our true road games (other than Rice) this year and last year were/are BYU, Ok State, Oregon, and South Carolina. You really want to get rid of those games to play at HBU, Prairie View and TSU instead? That’s ridiculous. You think Sampson thinks a home and home with HBU is better for the program than one with BYU or Oregon?

Or do you want to do this nonsense as an exempt tournament and play in this instead of that tourney in Charleston next year with Tennessee, Florida State, etc.?

If you wanted to do this when we were playing road games at San Jose State maybe it would have merit.

2 Likes

I like the other concept of City Tournament where we could invite teams from other major cities: LA, NY, Pittsburgh, Miami, Portland, etc

3 Likes

OK, shut down this thread as TJ “already as=nswered me on this.”

So we play Rice already, we played HBU already this season, substitute Alabama State with TSU and if not PVA&M, then TX State or UT Arlington (or someother UT directional.

BUT, it doesn’t matter, TJ has spoken!

So much for just throwing out a hypothetical, it has never happened on Coogfans before…

I’m all for having a tournament in the city, but not against teams in the city. Bring in a bunch of decent teams that could draw a crowd when they aren’t playing UH.

1 Like

This thread can go as long as you and others keep responding but you keep mentioning cut down on travel costs when the only way that happens is if we play these games instead of going to Oregon, etc. So I’m asking you if that’s what you think we should do.

If you just want to play TSU at Fertitta instead of Alabama State that’s fine but kind of lame to market as a city championship when it’s just those teams coming to our gym to lose by 20+.

a annual thing makes no sense to me…but ive kinda warmed up to a 1 time only event (non-exempt- so we can still do an exempt one)

itd be a cool way to honor somebody (name the event after them, and have videos of their accomplishment playing throughout ) …like the mega pk80 event 2 years ago (for phil knights 80th birthday)

guy lewis’ 100th birthday in 3 years is a good one…tillmans 65th birthday in 4 years… the year after kelvin sampson retires in 6/7 years…random new billionaire donor as a way to get him more invested in UH

make tickets Super cheap…invite people to do other things (cookoff, frat/band competitions)

1 Like

It makes sense but egos will get in the way

We’ve watched UT, UCLA, A&M fail tremendously in Houston with excessive marketing so why not do something different? Remember we had to dump the Toyota Center when it was all said and done for TSU.

Play the first rounds on campuses and the final at Fertitta center

I have mentioned this in the past. I think a tournament at the Toyota Center with some big names, similar to the MM college classic would be pretty cool. Fertitta owns the building, so why not try and make that happen?

No “ Big” names would come.

I think the main idea is to get more exposure for the program. Those of us on the forum keep up but a lot of people don’t know UH has a good program. Even if UH wins every game by 20 you start somewhere with a small H town classic and maybe over time it because a popular event.

It could be a bad idea but it at least adds inter city competition to usually bland non conf games that they play anyways.

I think it’s possible that “Big” names could be intrigued to come showcase their team and recruit in this area. They already recruit heavily here. Perhaps it could be headed up by the Rockets. There are plenty of similar events around the country every year. No reason to think that it couldn’t happen here. I guess it’s all about your viewpoint on it.

Maybe Tilman could pull off a big exempt tournament at Toyota, but the vast majority of these are more in tourist destinations (Bahamas, Hawaii, Virgin Islands, NYC, Orlando, Boca Raton, Las Vegas, etc.). I don’t really see big programs preferring to come to Houston.

In all honesty that’s really not a reward for our players, either. I’m sure they’d rather go to the Bahamas/Charleston/Hawaii/etc. than stay home for a tournament.

When thinking about stuff like this remember that game Texas and UCLA played at NRG several years ago that literally had like 2,000 people in attendance.

1 Like

This is a more reasonable idea but still seems generally pointless to me since we should just crush everyone and I don’t think anyone outside of the schools will care at all about it (and I don’t think we would care about it either). It feels very CivilCONNFlict-y, but somehow our board is coming up with this rather than HBU.

The PK80 is a curious analogy considering that had Duke, Michigan State, Florida, UNC, Gonzaga, Texas, Oregon, etc. and the Houston tournament would only have the likes of Rice, HBU, Texas Southern, Prairie View and us.

That debacle proved what I always believed. That once you get about 75 miles from Austin, no one gives a shitz about the longhorns !

And you guys wonder why there isn’t a tournament in Houston, look at all the differing views on how it should be run!

1 Like