City Tournament

Drexel is not a member. The Dragons do play the other schools though.

I do think the OP’s point is valid. UH, Rice, TSU, HBU should all play each other every year. We would dominate it but it would still be Interesting. TSU has a history of good basketball. Rice should be a basketball school, they are never going to be football school. I don’t know anything about HBU. I should but I don’t.

TSU pretty much plays all of its OOC on the road. I think it’s how it makes it budget. That was the case, anyway.

I think we’d have to pay TSU to play at Fertitta.

That being said, I think it’s crazy that we don’t a game with TSU every year–costs neither side anything, should be fairly well attended, and would likely be a competitive game. Maybe call it the Scott St. Tussle or something like that–come up with a trophy.

With the Feritta Center sold out for the year. I suspect that will be the case for years to come. I would be ok playing the other three schools at their gym. It would be nice payday for those other schools and it would give other Houstonians a chance to see the Coogs.

I don’t know why the city of Houston is not a basketball city. The greatest teams and greatest sports personalities have been basketball teams and players.

That Prairie View Team was pretty good though but the environment that night caught some of those guys off guard.

That what makes college basketball fun but now some teams will only travel if it’s a holiday break to avoid crowds

Gonzaga will play anyone anywhere. I would try to get several years of home and homes with them.

Same with our future Pac conference mates (including Oregon). :wink:

1 Like

They haven’t been playing that long and have already gone from NAIA to NCAA D3. At that rate they’ll be D1 in a few years!

Oh, there would be SOOO much interest in a Houston round-robin. And exactly how many folks actually showed up last night? We had more BYU fans than HBU fans at the FC. Dumb idea folks.

5 Likes

They just said that Michigan State will play anyone anywhere as well. If we could get home and home games with Michgan State, Oregon, and Gonzaga it would help our status, win or lose.

2 Likes

I went back and looked at Kenpom. I remember we thought PV was decent at the time of the loss but turned out they were ultimately pretty bad (sub 300). TAMU CC who we only beat by 2 on the road was sub 300 and so was San Jose State who we only beat by 2 on the road.

I was somewhat tongue in cheek noting our 3 point OT win over TSU at home, but turns out they were actually better than us (155 vs. 180).

I remember some folks were optimistic about the future after that season since we won 20 games and beat a sub .500 Texas team at home in the CBI. Though some saw that we played the #296 schedule (#346 OOC!), our recruiting had fallen off a cliff and that our second best (or maybe best) player was transferring after his dad got fired and knew better.

Man I am so grateful for where our program is now.

3 Likes

You are correct about the BYU crowd being much greater than HBU…but they didn’t a screamer to entertain us when we went to the foul line lol…

1 Like

Props to her. Didnt stop even if her voice was leaving. Resilient and a fan of her team. Wish we had more of those.

You could easily leave out “basketball” in your comment and still hit the little circle . . . . .

1 Like

I think the UH fan base is better than most considering it’s in the 4th largest city and the program was asleep for awhile. UCLA/Depaul games aren’t doing that hot in attendance either.

Rockets average 18,055 per home game . . . . .
Texans average 71,751 per home game . . . . .
Astros average 35,276 per home game . . . . .

It is obvious to me that Houston is a great college sports team . . . . .

Houston population North of 2.313 million and only 2 thousand show up for a basketball game between two Houston teams last night ? ? ? ? ? Evidence supports Houston is obviously a great college sports city . . . . .

If you are going announced rather than actual attendance for the Rockets but not the Coogs you are definitely moving the goal posts.

2 Likes

Colleges, in general, attract a different type of sports fan !

1 Like

And who knows if those pro numbers are accurate as I see plenty of empty seats for non marquee games

F-rice. If they want to play us, they can come to Fertitta. I’m cool with TSU for how they hosted us at their gym, will never forget that. I even proposed we steal their floor (being as how we were undefeated their that year) but fudge the birds. Scott street tussle… hmm… :thinking:

2 Likes

If you want to concoct a ONE TIME ONLY event and promote it as a “city championship tournament”, and then win it, and place “the crown” upon our own head, that would likely be OK. And, playing Rice, a former SWC foe, every year is OK. But, playing TSU, HBU, PVAMU, or UST every year would be a nothing to be gained exercise that would in its second and subsequent annual iterations draw only regular UH diehard fans, visiting team friends and families, and one screaming girl. It’s a non-starter.

If the desire is to “buy local” in terms of scheduling, we can do home and homes with Lamar, ULALA, McNeese State, the SFA Giant Slayers, A&M Corpus Christi, Sam Houston State, and PVAMU. - In other words, regional schools. By the way, we have played home and homes with all of those schools in the past.