Class of 2021 offers

Here is his 6. So all of these schools want him as a QB.
https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1260707505409228808?s=09

To someone like CoachV and others I think this really shows the importance of having the right recruiters on staff. Meekins helped Herman while here with recruiting. We didn’t seem to be having great success in High School recruiting especially here in Houston. Hopefully Corby helps but brings up the question on rating our other staff members in recruiting ability. I would have though Carrier would have been better than what we have seen. So how would you guys rank our staff by recruiting ability? It seems that Belk could be a good recruiter. Are we wasting him in Georgia and Southestern Juco’s.? Just wondering.

Herman sold kids on our going to the Big 12. Levine, while not a HC, was a recruiter that didn’t have to make promises, saw potential and signed stellar kids.

2 Likes

Herman was an excellent huckster, but once he was exposed as just another tinhorn liar, he went where that goes down well. Like old honest Abe said, “You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time. But, you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.” We should have gone ndefeated in the regular season in 2016, but the lies caught up to him and he lost the trust of the team.

By now, most of the kids he’s recruiting have either forgotten about that or didn’t know in the first place, so the huckster can still bring in the talent to UT with all of the advantages available. But he still hasn’t maintained a product commenusrate with the talent and resources available at the Evil Empire.

2 Likes

Herman sold Hoop dreams. The current coaches are way more authentic in their pitches so I’d expect the guys who sign with the Coogs to be legit. Staff also conducts their own evals instead of logging on 247 and looking at some arbitrary number when offering.

The previously mentioned is another reason why herman can’t win. I don’t doubt for a second he is he is a good coach, I think he like many other lazy recruiters rely to heavily on joe blow’s recruiting services; the results are on the field.

It’s great that the staff is more authenticv with recruits. And great that they do their own evals. But once again, the whole “stars don’t matter”/“Only to sell subscriptions” assertion just doesn’t hold up.

There’s a reason the top teams are all stackked to the gills with the top ranked talent, it’s because it does matter. Now what is done with that talent on campus is on the coaches. But coaches saying recruiting rankings/stars are just to sell subscriptions are really saying “we are really struggling to make an impact at the top end of the talent market add need to deflect.” To me I’d respect honesty more, “It’s really tough recruiting the top talents we’d like to bring to campus. So we have to work harder to find kids who fit our system who have the ability to compete at a high level.”

1 Like

There’s a reason that Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc are playing for national championships every year. Look at where they are year in and year out when it comes to recruiting rankings.

FYI - UT has consistently out-recruited OU but coaching and program culture matters.

1 Like

“Ahem
Pardon me
Do you have any Grey Poupon ?” Said one UT limo to another

1 Like

No one is saying it doesn’t. It is absolutely a factor in determining a program’s success.

But the whole “stars don’t matter”/ “to sell subscriptions” is also hogwash and if it’s coming from coaches that’s them setting you up for a recruiting class that may be good, but it’s going to be unexciting on signing day.

I know we use UT and Aggie as our proof of this concept. But have we ever stopped to consider that one Aggies play in the toughest division in all of college football, by a lot. So success is just going to be harder.

And UT may just be the exception to the rule. Not the actual rule, because big picture recruiting tend wise they are definitely the underachieving anomaly.

It holds up if you realize that outside of the top 300 players it’s a crapshoot. That’s why they’re at the top
because the kids that these services are actually looking at happen to be much much fewer than the kids they’re assigning random numbers to.

Those schools are also at the top because they’re stacked 4 cycles deep at a time. But to sit here and say that such and such who committed to UH is the 1400th ranked recruit with a .7899 rating is the most coffee shop desk jockey thing I’ve ever seen.

Again most of these “experts” are getting their info from camps, and the kids who don’t attend go unnoticed. Those kids who can play end up at UH.

Imagine a world were Nick Saban and other big schools still decide to sign 3 star kids that Joe Blow’s Rating Service gave a random number to because they didnt do their homework.

That’s one of MANY examples in which these numbers mean absolutely nothing. I take that back
these numbers mean, save the money you pay for a subscription because you’re getting ripped off.

I don’t know who Joe Blow is, but Joe Burrow was a 3 star that did OK.

Joe Burrow was 4 stars. Ohio State rarely recruits 3 stars

1 Like

Joe Blow is just a generic name like John Smith. I should have said John Doe because the ratings adjusters of those "recruiting " services sites are intentionally hidden to avoid accountability. Don’t have to face the music if people can’t question your methodology to you personally. Joe Burrow was rated a 4 star, but Josh Jacobs would be a good 3 star example.

@RedDragonCoog
Ohio State literally has three 3 star rated guys in their class of 2021. They always recruit 3 stars.

2020: 7 three stars, and ironically have a transfer TE from Smoo who was rated a 2 star out of HS. What gives? :thinking:

2019: 5 three stars

2018: 3 three stars, most notable guy being Chris Olave.

I can keep going but you get the point
blue bloods have it easier because they can pick out of the top 350 kids that the “recruiting” services actually pay attention to and usually get right. After that, they have see the value and conduct evals like the rest of the colleges. No one can convince me that rivals et al. have a staff vast enough to evaluate weekly over 3,000 kids the way CDH does a select few. Like always
I trust the coaches !

3 Likes

I think this is a good recruiting staff. We got 3 off the TD Club head table this year. Long time since that has happened.

Corby’s rep with local HS Coaches is really good. That helps tremendously.

We have a group of young energetic recruiters.

9 Likes

He picks Auburn.
https://twitter.com/joeagleason/status/1262044384767459329?s=09

https://twitter.com/samspiegs/status/1262035439411703809?s=21

Tough to beat, overcome that sales pitch. We gave it a good shot.

We will always have an uphill battle for top recruits until we are P5 or have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

No surprises here I don’t think. It does suck though, maybe the SA kid will still be in play fit us though.

We didn’t even make the tv.