Clay Jennings gonzo

So let’s abandon situational football? As long as we have serviceable stat-lines, who cares about making adjustments to ensure we win games right?

I think you are going off the deep end a little. You took what I said and went extreme with it.

I said that we need to improve on defense but if you look at the stats our defense was not as bad as what people were saying/acting/thought.

I think that everyone who is rational would say that our top priority or issue was the offense. Often the offense would go 3 and out, sputter, turn the ball over, and put our defense in a bad position.

Yes we were weak in the secondary and the LB position, but our defense still did some really good things.

Again Manster54 has said it, but it has become apparent that some are set on their mindset. We just differ in opinion.

3 Likes

What is it that some are saying/acting/thinking?

We will continue to disagree until there is an understanding that stat-lines are independent of situational football. Some people want to bury their heads in the sand, but hey, ignorance is bliss? Right?

Dude you’re toxic. You can’t force people to agree with you when having a discussion. That shouldn’t be the goal when trying to converse with someone. You’ve laid out your thoughts an opinions and still have people disagreeing with you. That doesn’t mean you’re wrong and their right or vice versa.

You keep going in circles after others have laid out hard evidence against you. I don’t know what your trying to prove in discussion anymore.

1 Like
  1. People were saying that we needed to fire our DC.

2. I didn’t say anything about abandoning situational football. Again you are going to extreme.

3. I’m taking your post as calling me ignorant. Don’t be an internet tough guy.

My goal isn’t to force anyone to agree with me; it’s to offer insight. Sometimes that conflicts with the hive-mind approach others take, due to an opposing viewpoint of others, validating their own. Once stated, people can agree or disagree; I have the same right to defend my argument as the people who oppose the idea. I’m not going to disappear because 10 people disagree. lol

This is the problem. The “evidence” is not substantial to say the least. Just because a person says something and they get 10 likes doesn’t mean the original post was correct. I think it goes without saying what that makes that group of people (all incorrect). Second, it would make more sense if you were trying to dissolve a situation if you didn’t contradict yourself. You proceeded to suggest I not try to persuade people, then you end your comment with:

Ok, was that not a jab at my premise? Hint: validation(likes) does equate to correctness it’s simply conformity . So excuse me for trying to offer insight. Then again, we’re all not going to agree on everything. No worries.

1. I agree with them. Just because our defense is better than our offense does not mean it was any good. Neither were the averages (numbers) that could be obtained running any defensive scheme. We could literally hire a new DC and he have the exact same averages as CMD; what separates the two from each other? Situational football and adjustments when it matters.

2. Maybe I was. Apologies.

3. Aren’t we all ignorant in regards to football IQ? Who know’s 100% about 100% of everything? No need to take it personal.

1 Like

I just feel like at times you are attacking versus discussing, and I feel like it takes away from having an insightful discussion about football. Let’s just leave it as it is and move on.

3 Likes

Agreed. We can be friends and still disagree from time to time.

2 Likes

Agree. Go Coogs!

2 Likes

Also should consider Van Malone, who was SMU’s DC. Morris hired Chavis, who brought colleague Ron Cooper as DB coach. I don’t think Malone is Buddy Ryan (though I’m not sure Ryan would have done that well with SMU’s defensive personnel), but he is considered a solid DB coach (A&M, OK State, and according to Sellers on the other site, Malone is “a stud recruiter.” He’s from Houston and coached at Waltrip and Conroe. He was also special teams coordinator at North Texas and Western Michigan. If the guy from Tyler, who might be able to help us in East Texas, can coach, I wouldn’t mind seeing him and Malone taking over the secondary.

2 Likes

Sounds like a really good name.

I had forgotten that Malone didn’t go with Morris. He would be an excellent pickup as well.

i don’t like malone. he has trash talked us before

1 Like

Agree with your points here, but we did beat SMU and they have a really good passing attack most nights…

Inside the “red” zone, there is not the depth to be protected by the DB’s, hence, they can play a bit more press defense. No fear of a wide out running a deep anything . . . . .

This just in. The Vikings have fired their DC today because they shut out the Saints in the first half and allowed 24 points in the second half. What a terrible defense.

8 Likes