Coach Cauthen Defense-2018

This is just an appreciation post for our new guy, so please save the obligatory “it’ll take some time for [x]… to happen” drama for your mama! :sunglasses:

CJC’s final national rankings as a DC in 2018:

Total defense rank(might be skewed-see rush defense): 45th

3rd down conversions defense rank: 35th

Defensive touchdowns rank: tied for 17th

First down defense rank: tied for 21st

Passing yards allowed: 11th

Kick return defense rank (these might be more of STs): 6th

Punt return defense( nevermind, maybe he’s had some influence on STs): 1st

Red zone defense: 27th

Rushing defense: 91st :flushed:

Scoring defense(gave up 25.6 pts per game): 54th

Sacks: tied for 27th

TFLs: tied for 13th

Total defense: 45th

CDH has really put together a high quality staff. Go Coogs!

3 Likes

Go Punt Team Defense!!!

3 Likes

1st team defense confirmed. lol

A preemptive Yo Mamma in the initial take? Glad you got that out of the way so early in the thread.

1 Like

Scheme or talent?

Considering we just finished 118 in scoring defense, 54 would feel like heaven.

6 Likes

The defensive efficiency rating for Arkansas St was 79 (46.5) last year. Comparatively, Houston was 94 (40.3) in 2018.

Team efficiencies are based on the point contributions of the defensive unit to the team’s scoring margin, on a per-play basis. The values are adjusted for strength of schedule and down-weighted for “garbage time” (based on win probability). The scale goes from 0 to 100; higher numbers are better and the average is roughly 50 for all categories.

1 Like

Maybe both. The 4-2-5 is vulnerable against the run if the edges aren’t set and linemen get to the second level on the nickel or backers. Last year I’m convinced that Egbule and company had the initial responsibility of holding the edge and preventing running backs from running up the alley. I rarely seen them making a second move to get off of blocks. They we’re probably instructed to not get up field(not their fault). CJC is the opposite. Our LBs will be expected to get off of blocks and pursue.

It’ll be interesting to see how he handles the jumbo sets of Cincy, Memphis, and Tulsa. They like to pull the TE and seal the edge. We’ll have to put 8 in the box at some point to make it a one on one battle up front; we’ll find out if it’s a talent issue with us real quick. lol I think we’ll ok against most teams but those three are dangerous in regards to scheme. Not to sound pretentious, but I think we’ll out-talent Tulsa. Cincy and Memphis will be where his pay check is earned.

You had me at the neck veins in that pic.

1 Like

Gearing up for the most traumatizing phrase known across every football practice in America- “get on the line!” :joy:

His defense was better in 2017. He had to replace several players on the line and in the secondary for 2018. What is good to see is how that defense improved over the course of the season.

5 Likes