Coaches hot seat rankings

Herman, Dimel, Sumlin and Holgerson all make the Top 10

1 Like

That’s a terrible list, has Gary Patterson on it from TCU. Never!

5 Likes

I can understand some of them, but Holgs after just one season? ReallyZ?

6 Likes

Of top 11:
1 former UH player (Helton)
3 former UH head coaches (Herman, Sumlin, Dimel)
1 current UH head coach (Holgorsen)
Of top 30:
2 former UH assistants (Montgomery, Spavital)

3 Likes

I have questioned how exactly they are ranking coaches. It never seems to be most likely to get fired. Seems like more of who has the most heat on them to win. Near the end of last year there were a bunch of coaches who were for sure getting fired and not in the top 10 while guys like Scott Frost who had a 0% chance of getting fired being a top name. Patterson is no where close to getting fired, but there has been some issues with the program and he is betting big on the QB Duggan so there is a lot of pressure on him.

1 Like

I seriously doubt that Gary Patterson is feeling much pressure in Fort Worth. It’s not like TCU has been a regular participant in the Top 20 national rankings without him during the past 50+ years.

2 Likes

Holgorsen getting canned is basically zero because of the financial commitment and the impact Covid has had on pretty much everything Uncle Tilman owns. This would not be great timing to ask him to fund a buyout and pay for a new coach.

5 Likes

I don’t know Wood, we better check that out.

In Pattersons 20 years, he has a 73.7% winning record - 2nd best at TCU to Francis Schmidt’s tenure from 1929-1933. Who can settle for 2nd best?

Patterson has only been to 17 bowls – that’s 3 years without a bowl! Yeah, that’s bad. To top that off, he has only won the Rose Bowl once!

He has only had one 13 win season, only two 12 win seasons, only seven 11 win seasons and only 2 10 win seasons. How mundane is that?

Only 12 times has he finished in the top 25. He never finished higher than #2 and only did that once, and only finished #3 once. Pretty pedestrian if you ask me.

Yeah Wood, looking at those, mediocre at best records, it’s a wonder the folks at TCU haven’t tarred and feathered him and rode him out of town on a rail! I doubt if he could ever find another team that would hire a guy with that crummy record. Besides, he sweats a lot.

5 Likes

Great response Mike!

He also has terrible eating habits (those may be connected, lol), I was behind him at the grocery store check out one time. I give him credit for doing his own shopping though.

You guys aren’t here to see how entitled TCU fans are now. Another 5/6 win season would make it 4 out of the last 5 years of bad seasons in their minds. No, he wont get fired but there will be some serious pressure on him from the boosters. It would probably take something like 4 straight years missing a bowl and another controversy to get him fired. If he keeps throwing in a 10+ win season every 3 years then he can coach until he dies.

Articles like this are written based on some writer looking at the last year’s win/loss record (maybe two years), and then they throw stuff out and see what sticks. They usually have no clue as to the state of the programs they are writing about unless it is their own favorite team.

Most of the entitled TCU fans are the under 40 that didn’t see the pre-Patterson era. There are quite a few of them without the perspective, but not all. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Clay Helton could win the PAC-12 and the Rose Bowl and still be on the hot seat.

5 Likes