Coaching Search Thread

Figured we could establish a thread to consolidate all the coaching search rumors.

WVU fan on another site posted this at 8:30 this morning:

“Rumor around WVU is that we were about to finalize Dana’s extension and Houston came in with a big offer and slowed things down.”

Can’t imagine we would make an offer that quickly, but thought it was interesting.

It is just on twitter (FoxSports analyst) that Holgorsen accepted the extension. No Dana.

#WVU and #danaholgorsen have agreed to an extension, this I can confirm. The details I can not....yet. #collegefootball #mountaineers

— Joshua Ryan Taylor (@joshryantaylor1) November 28, 2016

I think we deserve a coach that has a history of winning conference championships and not just an occasional top 25 victory.

Thoughts on timeline for a named replacement? Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Instead of just guessing, it would be nice to have some facts. Who is the search firm and have they handled it before. If so, what coaches have they been responsible for getting hired?

Who did you have in mind?

If you are on Twitter, a good follow right now would be Joseph Duarte. He provided all that info yesterday. I will see if I can find it.

Duarte said he thinks it would be a minimum of two weeks before any announcement.

That isn’t a good timeline. It should be a week. We hit the month long dead period in two weeks. We need a coach in place to firm up current commits and begin to complete our 2017 class. #Ban17ofBrothers

Search firm is Collegiate Sports Associates. A few of the hires involving their firm in the past are:
Akron - Terry Bowden 2012
Boston College - Steve Addazio 2013
East Carolina - Scottie Montgomery 2016
Colorado - John Embree 2010, Mike McIntyre 2012
Florida Atlantic - Charlie Partridge 2013
Kent State - Paul Haynes 2012
Miami (OH) - Chuck Martin 2014
Nevada - Brian Polian 2013
New Mexico - Bob Davie 2012
Buffalo - Lance Leipold 2015

It sounded like Herman’s departure was known to Tilman from his statements (and the fact the admin put the hold on the shirts).

I’m surprised they didn’t name someone already. Maybe they want to keep the assistants on staff as long as possible.

1 Like

Not impressed with any of those unfortunately…

1 Like

MacIntyre has a formerly bottom-feeding CU in the Pac-12 CCG, so that’s pretty impressive.

Outside of that, though, yeah. It’s a pretty disappointing list.

Edited to add: Bob Davie has turned UNM around, too, and they should start contending for the MWC title soon.

That was my thought as well, outside of McIntyre at Colorado. He will win National Coach of the Year this year.

Yikes.

Get Tilman and Renu to do it. Seems like they have a better eye for talent than this firm does.

The CU coach is the only one of note. The FAU coach just got fired. I am not impressed with the search firm.

To their credit, most of those programs probably didn’t have the interest from coaches or budget to be big players, but still.

Thing worth noting about the search firm: Every one of those schools is a bottom-feeder, and was before those coaches got there, with the possible exception of ECU. Every one of those hires replaced a coach that was fired. There’s reason to think that our scenario looks substantially different from that of their typical client, and the list of candidates should, too.

1 Like

Which means they don’t have much experience working for schools in our situation.

Are we sure that is a legit guy? he only has 124 followers, no blue check mark, and no internet footprint anywhere outside of Twitter.

Maybe the firm would be better at search for a wifi provider and food vendors for the stadium.