Coaching Search Thread

Ellis Johnson was the 0-12 at So Miss, Monken came in and put them back in the conference championship.By the way Monken is getting 2.2 million as OC at Tampa Bay so he is out. To be honest there is a whole lot of wishful thinking on this board. Leaving Notre Dame to come to Houston, the AAC…you have to be kidding…No Power 5 HC are coming to Houston to play Tulane and SMU…Let’s be realistic, The Big 12 hosed us when they won’t let us in so we are not getting a power 5 caliber coach…We can land a power 5 OC to make a HC and that’s about it…

Briles 5 years, 1 conference championship, 0 bowl wins
Sumlin 4 years, 0 conference championships, 1 bowl win

9 years, 1 conference championship and 1 bowl win between them. If they had that much trouble winning conference championships and bowls at the non-BCS level, what makes them a national championship contender at the BCS/P5 level?

1 Like

Hey! Herman is gone. This is the thread we should be focused on. Don’t waste on more post on crying about Herman.

Let’s see who gets added to the coaching list today, who gets dropped off. That’s in front of us.

What’s crazy is this…

Yeoman had a 0.594 win percentage, was 6-4-1 in bowls and 4 CC
Jenkins had a 0.545 win percentage, no bowls and no CC
Helton had a 0.314 winning percentage, 0-1 in bowls and 1 CC
Dimel had a 0.235 winning percentage, no bowls and no CC
Briles was 34-28 at UH for a 0.548 winning record with 0-3 in bowls and 1-0 in CCG
Sumlin was 35-17 at UH for a 0.673 winning record and was 1-1 in bowls and 0-2 in CCG
Levine was 21-17 at UH for a 0.552 winning record and was 1-1 in bowls.
Herman was 22-4 at UH for a 0.846 winning percentage and 1-0 in bowls and 1-0 in CCG

My shock… Levine was better than Briles, Dimel, Helton, and Jenkins in win percentage and bowl record in UH history. He was tied with Sumlin in bowl games, albeit one of those wins was with Sumlin’s staff, and Sumlin… Only behind Herman in win percentage, probably would have won the Ticket City Bowl if he had stuck around, could have been a conference champion if he hadn’t had his head up aTm’s ass. He could have had a legacy at UH instead of being Scumlin.

I know there was a bowl ban on us in there and we were playing in the SWC, but we were also getting SWC level recruits at the time. Winning is winning, but I have to say I am surprised where some of the coaches are placed in comparison to each other.

1. The Cougars were on probation Jenkins first season as coach and were not eligible for a bowl.
  2. Levine inherited a top 25 team whereas Dimel and Briles inherited a team that had one winning season in the previous 9 years.

Levine wasn’t nearly as bad as everyone makes him out to be, but he just couldn’t seem to win close games. I could see him being a good HC in the future.

No quite, we were on probation under Mr. Yeoman, Mr. Pardee and Mr. Jenkins. Without these same probation we would have been able to recruit even better squads and win National Championships. I have no doubt about it. These probation were designed for one purpose. Keep us down at all cost.

Levine didn’t inherit a top 25 team. We lost every starting WR, two great RB, best DL, best LB, and Best CB among others… oh and the greatest QB to ever play college football. So what we had was the OL from a top 25 team.

In regards to 1) I mentioned that, but it doesn’t change the fact he had a lower win percentage.
In regards to 2) Levine did not inherit a top 25 program. You need to take a look at how many starters we lost after that season, Keenum, Edwards, Thompson, McGraw, Beall, and Sims transferred. We all knew 2012 was a rebuild in every sense of the word.

1 Like

Pardee was 22-11-1 for a .662 win%, no CC and 0-1 in bowl games (probation and the bowl ban kicked in his last year).

Going back before Yeoman:

• Clyde Lee - 32-26-2 - .550 - 1 CC - 1-0 in bowls
  • Bill Meek - 13-6-1 - .684 - 1 CC
  • Hal Lahar - 24-23-2 - .511 - 1 CC

So Sumlin comes in ahead of Pardee, but behind Meek. I believe if he had beaten Southern Miss, he would have been the all-time leader at the time (in fact, I think I remember a message on the board claiming that he was the all-time winningest by % coach at some point in 2011. Might have been the Rice game).

Interesting that our two most winningest % coaches we’ve had only lasted 2 years.

2 Likes

Crap! I missed Pardee. Sorry.

1 Like

Just nit-picking, sorry, but technically Sims was around in 2012. He transferred before the 2013 season.

2 Likes

Yeah and Meek left for SMU from UH. Ouch! Probably because they were in the SWC and we were in the MVC. Pardee at least left for the NFL.

All good, just filling in some spots; liked your research and points.

Well he is leaving out several things How the recruiting was going before they joined. Helton was our worst recruiting coach in our history. Also leaving out that Jenkins was going against SWC teams. Levine’s first five wins were Rice, UTEP, North Texas, Tulane and UAB. lol

No way he is a HC material, imo. Definitely not at the high level.

Dude, I am not writing a documentary history on UH Cougar football. Winning percentage is winning percentage. I did mention the difference in schedule; i.e. when you’re in the SWC, you get SWC recruits, and when you’re in CUSA, you get CUSA recruits.

1 Like