Contract signed

Has this been confirmed by west coast sources?

4 Likes

Exactly. I just sent that explanation to my brother who responded to the news with ā€œNice! Although those contracts still donā€™t mean much.ā€ They do if your sonā€™s ability to take over a very successful program hangs in the balance. Even if Kellen ends up being a terrible HC 6 or 7 years from now (which I doubt he will since heā€™s learning from one of the best), this whole HCIW thing might be the best thing that has ever happened for the basketball program.

7 Likes

Ooohhhhh, I would soooo like to see what Matt Musil has to say now.

1 Like
1 Like

I suggest that we each send Matt Musil a plastic spoon along with a written invitation to use it to eat fecal matter.

3 Likes

very much looking forward to the next decade of cougar basketball!

also canā€™t wait to see the details of the contract.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say Kellen gets what, 4 years to run his own program (allowing his entire first recruiting class to cycle in). So thatā€™s the next 10 years we have our head coach situated. Nice.

1 Like

Done deal.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a minimum of 10 years, if Kelvin decides to retire in 6 and Kellen isnā€™t successful I meant. But Iā€™m always looking on the downside of things. Must be my Coogs colored glasses. lol smh

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking there is some sort of target for the program for the hand off to be sooner. Something like a Final Four win or National Championship and Kelvin can retire and hand off the job. Purely speculation on my part though.

1 Like

Im thinking positiveā€¦would 5 championships under dad and son in the next few years give us our blueblood status??!

5 Likes

I donā€™t think a G5 program could ever obtain blue blood status. But if we keep winning maybe we become P5 within the next 10 years? I hope so anyway.

1 Like

I love your thinking. Powerhouse program, absolutely. Blue blood? That might be pushing it, I think weā€™d need at least a decade before the national perception puts us in that discussion. The real blue bloods the UNC, Dukeā€™s, Kansas, and UK have been top programs for decades.

1 Like

Didnā€™t Villanova win the Natty last year?

1 Like

From Duarteā€“Chron :
Sampson said there are no guarantees that Kellen succeeds him. In recent years, Kellen Sampson has interviewed for a handful of head coaching jobs.

ā€œThatā€™s no guarantee,ā€ Sampson said. ā€œ He may get a call next year. I would be the first in line to tell him to take it. If he can get a great opportunity and Iā€™m still here, heā€™ll do whatā€™s best for him. ā€

11 Likes

I thought Sampson leaving was a very reasonable possibility. I donā€™t think anyone needs to eat any crow for that.

1 Like

More from Duarteā€“Chron:
That was never a sticking point,ā€ Kelvin Sampson said. ā€œI wanted them to want Kellen. I didnā€™t want to have to put them in a bad spot that, well now, Iā€™m not going to sign this unless you make Kellen coach-in-waiting. That was never the deal.

8 Likes

This is basketball NOT footballā€¦anyone CAN win the championship from outside the non Power 5 (see UCONN & Villanova recently)

As far as us reaching Blue Blood Status, per the poster:

If we win 5 championships in the next 15 years with say, 8 Final Four appearancesā€¦we WILL be Blue Blood Statusā€¦remember we are adding to a history that ALREADY includes FIVE Final Fours and TWO Championship appearancesā€¦anything else is ADDED to our resumeā€¦it doesnā€™t go away.

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/baronvonchichi/status/1113847278840758273?s=21

12 Likes

Donā€™t tell that to the Arkansas fans, they claim thatā€™s why they didnā€™t want him.

4 Likes