Coogs in the Pros

We’re in good hands now with Pez… Plus, is Mizzou actually a better job after all of the stuff that has gone down since he took the job?

1 Like

Mack’s actually at Baylor now (though they’ve had some stuff go down there too!).

Definitely agree on Pez.

Damn… He’s at Baylor now… Missed that one completely… Must mean I’m working too much.

Breaon Brady just signed a contract to play for the Manchester Giants in the U.K.!

9 Likes

https://www.manchestergiants.com/news/big-boy-brady-comes-to-mcr/?fbclid=IwAR023qgrn6F2Uc5_cPwbDHd6TkfSosN-mofRGjdPGeeId-EIU1W11XKqXk4

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1309301578038423553

1 Like

I think Young tried to sue UH. It’s a long story but Young brought a lot of that on himself.
And I didn’t blame Joe for leaving after his dad basically got his walking papers

2 Likes

They threatened to sue UH because Mack was being petty and wouldn’t release Michael Young from his contract to do nothing they gave him to keep Joe around after the family (quickly) changed their minds and decided to leave after Michael was demoted and essentially fired other than getting paid so Joe wouldn’t leave.

I can’t believe some of you guys still defend Mack on petty stuff like this even after he’s gone and now pulled this kind of nonsense on us from the other side at Baylor just last week.

2 Likes

Muck Fack

3 Likes

If you are referring to me I was never a big Mack fan but he did have some major accomplishments while here.
And I am pretty sure more than one coach wanted to fire young.
I will just say most close to the program were ok with Michael moving on to pursue another career

4 Likes

I’m not dragging Mack for the decision to demote/fire Michael Young (though pragmatically it probably wasn’t that smart to lose Joe over). Honestly if Joe stays another year Dickey probably gets at least another year and we never wind up with Sampson, so everything ultimately turned out for the best.

The whole thing with Michael’s lawsuit was so Joe wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility after he decided to transfer to Oregon. Mack should have just let the family go on their way. Once the decision was made to demote Michael that was going to be a possible consequence. Mack and Darren Dunn should have owned it instead of letting that situation get so ugly.

I also agree that Mack did some good things here. But he seemed kind of petty and I don’t miss that part.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if many realize that Mike Young was sitting in a meeting with Tom Penders and Melvin Harralson when our AD called Penders on the phone and asked if he heard that Joe Young had committed to Providence . MIke had called in sick the previous Friday from the 5 hour a week, $65,000 job as the UH basketball strength coach and took Joe for his visit to Providence. It got worse when Mack and Mike got into a scabble about Mike’s contract. Nothing for nothing but shortly thereafter I returned my autographed Michael Young jersey to him.

6 Likes

Like Drexler, Mike Young was a big time player for Houston.

I will leave it at that !!

7 Likes

I’m not disputing your account.

Though on the Providence thing, that’s pretty weird because Mike had all those public statements after Joe committed that he was going to try to flip him and Providence fans were mad about that, especially after Joe really did flip after Dickey got hired. I guess maybe he was doing that because what you described got him in trouble with Penders and the department?

Either way, if folks dislike Mike because of how he performed when he was employed by the school that’s totally fine. But I lay blame for the lawsuit and how bad it got at the end on Mack. He should have just let the Youngs go on their way. There was nothing to gain for UH.

1 Like

that’s not the way I remember things; not a Mack fan, but screw the Youngs

BTW, we ended up with Dot from Oregon the year after this thing happened. I very much enjoyed watching Dot play for two years for us. One could argue that we traded up.

5 Likes

That’s not right, either. Joe would not have lost a year of eligibility, as I remember it. He just didn’t want to sit a year. Even had Mack signed a release, there was no guarantee the NCAA would grant Joe a waiver. Hence, the Youngs filed a lawsuit filled with BS. That’s how I remember it.

3 Likes

Your memory is incorrect. Joe had already used his redshirt year after backing out of his NLOI with Providence since Providence wouldn’t give him a release. Ordinarily you lose a year if you do that but the Youngs appealed and the ruling was that he had to sit a year but could use a redshirt year. If he wouldn’t have gotten the waiver for immediate eligibility at Oregon he would have straight up just lost a year of eligibility. I believe they filed the suit to get Mike out of the sham contract UH was paying Mike to basically be Joe Young’s dad because it would help their appeal to get a waiver for immediate eligibility. There was no reason for Mack to fight any of this once the decision had been made for Joe to go to Oregon other than being petty.

Dot was awesome. Joe was also amazingly good at Oregon. We got Kelvin Sampson. Everything ultimately worked out for the most part other than for Dickey, who probably would have lasted another year or two if Joe had not transferred.

1 Like

Dickey… a great Mack hire :sunglasses:.

That said, is Chris Harris getting any over seas looks?

Already signed with a Turkish team

2 Likes