Coogs start the season with Alabama A&M - 2pm Saturday (W 101-54)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqD8JLohgTV/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1jgntlcn2fa0

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1061687504355688449

I wouldnā€™t be at all surprised if we go with very small lineups in some games this season. Iā€™m talking Ced Alley/Fabian at 5, Hinton at 4, Brooks at 3, Davis Jr. at 2 and Galen/Dejon at 1. This will be like the Rockets small ball lineup with PJ Tucker at the 5. This lineup will rain down 3s and hold their own on the boards.

I didnā€™t get to see any of the HBU game, so Iā€™m missing some observation minutes. Iā€™m interested to see if Landon Goesling is going to be this yearā€™s Wes Van Beck. Heā€™s very small (doubt seriously heā€™s really 6ā€™0"), but seems to have a nice stroke. Heā€™ll need to make up for the lack of size with hustle and defense.

Is Gorham sitting out this year? I canā€™t remember when he came in.

Also, whatā€™s the word on Fabianā€™s injury? How long is he expected to be out?

1 Like

Theyā€™ll definitely be some small-ball lineups, but Gresham will probably be at the 5 during those times. Heā€™s really a 4 on most teams, but heā€™s a 5 here. Very athletic big that has some hops; looked good on defense.

Goesling isnā€™t near the defensive player that Van Beck was. Wes may have been limited, but the kid played his heart out on the court. Landon may come in if we need a big shot or if no one else can hit a three, but I doubt he gets much playing time beyond garbage time if we stay healthy. 2-3 years ago, heā€™d be in the rotation, but times have changed.

Gorham does have to redshirt this year since he played last year with Towson. Heā€™ll be a nice replacement for Brady.

Fabian was still in a boot Saturday so I wouldnā€™t expect him back anytime soon. Even if he does, heā€™ll need time to get back in playing shape. Hoping heā€™ll be back by conference.

2 Likes

CKS said at the Tipoff Dinner on Wednesday that he would expect Fabian to be back within a month, but taking it carefully. That said, in the video a couple of weeks ago with the players doing their photo ops for the new unis, Fabian did take the ball and dunk it but hung on the rim for a little bitā€¦

Speaking of the defense, while theyā€™re not to where last yearā€™s group was at season-end, they are ahead of last year at this point. We could be scary good on defense this season.

3 Likes

I was very excited Breaon played 18 minutes without looking dead on his feet and only committing 1 foul. Heā€™ll certainly be challenged more in the low post by teams left on the schedule in that regard, but its hard not to get excited by him and Gresham.

7 Likes

Agree.

I liked the look of his hook shot. It had a nice arc which was missing from most of his shots last year.

3 Likes

Yeah and he had the confidence to go to it 6 times. Other than Temple last year I cant think of very often last year when Breaon was that assertive.

2 Likes

Brooks is the real deal, he will play at the next level.
This team will be fun to watch with a lot of big match ups coming.
December 1st, will be rocking in Fertitta Center.

2 Likes

Breaon was having the game of his life against Temple, and in true UH fashion, rolled his ankle in the second half and missed the rest of the game.

1 Like