Coogs take on McNeese State Friday (W 81-53)

67-46. 7:16 left.

I’m calling this into the UH win column.

Signing off.

Play of the game started out as a bad play. Van Beck gets stripped and then follows up by swatting the layup attempt off the backboard.

Not much height on this team but a lot of football bodies out there between Brady, Zanna and Alley.

Great start to the season. this team looks good . Those white lines on their court is going to annoy me this season. Kept thinking they were out of bounds -___-

6 Likes

went to SMU game. lots of fans. they were trailing UMBC with 5 mins to go but won by 11. at least they didn’t losr like Tulsa vs Lamar.

Looks like Alley could be the rush LB for our football team.

I thought Davis played good defense and Brady didn’t look too bad, but we will still struggle against teams with legit bigs. Brooks stepping up is nice, need to help fill the gap Dotson leaves. Of course Gray will be the leading scorer and playmaker again. SMU and UCF weren’t that impressive tonight so I think we have a good shot at #3 in conference.

Random thoughts about the game and experience:

1. Agree on the white lines on the court
  2. Tonight at H&PE was a little like moving from the Rob to Tdecu and getting used to new people around me. I missed the “usuals” by me
  3. A Brooks and Galen look “thicker” - impressed by their transformation in the offseason
  4. Agree on how good Brooks looked
  5. Team has lots of depth. I will not cringe whenever they have to sub this year
  6. Corey Davis feels like a rich man’s Ronnie Johnson [think that was his name]
  7. This team will go as far as their passing/protecting the ball and their rebounding intensity at both ends. Some of the passes were just bad and they were out hustled for some boards.

I liked more than I disliked tonight. Could be a fun year

2 Likes

It wasn’t always pretty, but considering we were missing Rob and played 9 (!!!) guys who didn’t play a minute for us last year, it was as good as you could expect. There was some sloppiness, but nothing unfixable.

What struck me is how even Chris Harris (probably our 3rd choice Center at this point) is still much more of a threat to score around the basket than Kyle/Bert/Chicken were last year. I think we’ll see more from Zanna as he got into foul trouble early tonight and never really got into a rhythm.

I love Galen, but the offense looked dramatically better when Corey was running the point, to be honest.

2 Likes

My thoughts:

Good

• Armoni and Van Beck’s shooting
  • Corey Davis looked good on offense and defense. Love how he communicates on the floor as well.
  • As mentioned by others, our bigs look like legitimate D1 players
  • Guys were crashing the boards like crazy
  • 2nd half defense was fantastic
  • Depth on this team is crazy, especially with what we’ve seen since Penders left

Bad

• Turnovers, turnovers, and more turnovers. Team struggled at points against the press.
  • White struggled and looked like a guy playing his first game. CKS said after the game that he looked into White’s eyes at one point and it “looked like he was in Zimbabwe”
  • Getting used to the NCAA rules on posting guys up. Brady and Zanna both got dinged for that
  • Team still needs to gel a bit with all the new players
  • The whole Rob Gray situation and the NCAA; University can setup fake classes for hundreds of students, but a kid can’t play in a rec league game
  • Need more students and fans there. Literally, about 20-25 students total. Friday night games are tough, but this team needs support
4 Likes

https://twitter.com/batley_bilal/status/929257677833809920

1 Like

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/111017aak.html

https://twitter.com/BarriMedia/status/929190422643167233

Think he said “…he could see all the way to Zimbabwe” …in other words he needed to focus !

1 Like

The player I wanted to see was Brady. I was happy to see how aggressive he was in the low post.
He wanted the ball and took it to the hole. We have not had that for a long time. Once he gets use to the stupid new rules
regarding establishing your position, he will be fine.

I think he is the key addition this year along with Davis at point. The starting five will be fine although not sure who will play the 3 spot…right now, Brooks looks like the best fit.

Depth should develop by conference time.

I was surprised to see how big Brady is and how long his arms are. Agree with you on him being a key addition as we haven’t had someone like him since…T.Thomas?

3 looks like it’ll be split between Brooks and Van Beck. With Gray in there, nice three-man rotation at the 2 and 3.

Hopefully, White’s got the opening jitters out of the way and is ready for the next game. Alley got some extended run last night just in case.

Nice win for Lamar vs Tulsa.
Tough loss for Tulsa v Lamar.

Glad that USF held on for a one point W over FAU. Whew. Wish Memphis could have done the same vs. Alabama.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/930841057125953536