Crow Time

There have been a lot of coverage busts. Mostly by the safeties believe it or not. Anderson, Sprewell have had them, Joell Williams has had them. Stuard has really hurt us. The loss of Garrett Davis was huge…he had his own blown coverages but made a lot of plays and knack for interceptions. Not having him for Navy hurt.
Our CBs issues are more with man coverage and their ability to cover. Sometimes they do.
CMD played a lot more Cover 2 last year. Which is pure zone. This year he is playing mainly Cover 3 and Cover 4(Quarters). These coverages incorporate man coverage within a zone scheme. It’s a matching coverage where a DB has a zone but may have to “Man Up “ based on the route combo run. It’s not that complicated…everyone runs these…but we have young guys at Safety and they have made mistakes in who to pickup.
The defense does have more passes defensed and they should because attempts by opponents are up…but our % of passes defensed is up also so they are doing better.
Also TFL numbers are very good. Sacks aren’t great but not terrible but we actually have more sacks than both TT and UT.

3 Likes

Then you must have strategically forgetten, or ignored, all the examples given about the Arizona game. That’s one that comes to mind but there have been others. There were plenty more after most games last year.

Tech gamed exposed our flaws on defense big time

We missed so many tackles. Their short passes
ended up being 30+ yard gains because of it

I say our October team right now defeats Tech

5 Likes

The Arizona game where we got to a 38-0 lead? They only scored against our backups? That one CMA was out-coached?

5 Likes

He said people didn’t give examples. After the game people pointed out points in the game where applewhite was out coached. Pulling all starters instead of rotating a few of the secondary in was one example. Don’t change the metric.

I didn’t change anything. If anyone thinks he was out coached in that game it just means they’re not in touch with reality.

4 Likes

complaining about a 7-1 #17 ranked team…yikes!! I get it that some people have a hard time being happy but considering how the year is going I for one am pretty happy.

Complainers are exhibiting their negative attitude. I never enjoyed an employee or co-worker that always found and pointed out negatives and were never willing to provide working solutions or put in an effort to make things better.

In the case of the 2017 Coog team, complainers could be enjoying this team and season so much more with a slightly more positive spin on the team, coaches and record.

But what do I care if they enjoy themselves? I am having a ball this year!!! Great team and great effort from great coaches and players. Let the naysayers go moan and groan about what could have been if only they were the coach. By the time they wake up the season will almost be gone and so will the opportunity to celebrate great wins like Navy and USF.

6 Likes

How does pulling the starters in the Arizona game instead of rotating players in equate to being out coached? That sounds like a coaches decision that just didn’t work out the way he planned.

2 Likes

usually when you are out coached you lose. That seems to escape some peoples reality as well.

2 Likes

you know that works both ways, right. I have worked for (CEOs) that were complainers and had worse attitudes than anyone I have ever known. I have worked for people that didn’t value there employees, no matter how much money they brought into the company. Working for people who are on egg shells for terrible mismanagement on their part, then punishing the lowly employees because they feel like it is just as bad. You took it there, not me but that work both ways.

1 Like

Took it where? Anyone, including managers or “lowly employees” as you put it, can have negative attitudes. What does that help to have a negative attitude? Bring solutions to the table, not complaints. That goes for ceo’s as well as your “lowly employees”

If you are not in a position to bring solutions that can be implemented, such as a fan for a football team, then just sit back and enjoy the wins

You are making assumptions, based on what??? Everyone on this board has had a complaint about something. Do you read game day threads??? Even the mods get upset. Would you have that same stance if we were 1 - 7…???..I doubt it. Btw, friend, I bring solutions all the time. Not a fan of the defensive coach, but I am a fan of the kids that play for this team…all of them!

The sad thing is that they did rotate in guys in the secondary. One of Anderson or Davis was on the field in the 2nd half of that game and one of Watkins/Johnson/Myres was in at CB as well. Noticed the same thing in the TSU game where one of Sprewell/Anderson was in at safety and one of Watkins/Johnson/Myres was in at CB during mop-up time. We don’t have the depth at those positions to take those guys off the field completely.

1 Like

I agree. No crow here. I have always been in the CMA corner.

I too have been a critic of our tackling in the secondary, but during the USF game we seemed to be doing a much better job. Hope that trend continues.

I am making assumptions about what? I am merely pointing out an obvious truth. Naysayers are counterproductive no matter what the situation. Interesting you suggest I am making assumptions when you call me “friend”. That is a wrong assumption.

Look just calm down. According to you we are all entitled to our opinion. Don’t get bent out of shape because I express mine.

Would I be ok if we were 1-7. Of course not. What are you assuming I would do about it? I can’t control the record nor can I influence it other than attend games. That leaves concern which is a time waster. People that are concerned spend time complaining about something they can’t do anything about. What good does that do anyone?

Lol…you took an offence to the term friend???..ok, I am finished…on to the next discussion.

1 Like

Is that assumption on your part that I took offense? I don’t even know you. How can we be friends?

One thing for sure, I’m glad you are finished with your replies. Let’s see if you are telling the truth.

1 Like

Again, Im not an anti CMA guy and don’t want him fired but will chime in with my opinion. I think CMA is growing up a little as a HC.
I will give some examples.
Rice game.…defense played well early.UH up 3-0. D gets pick and gives offense ball at Rice 22…they go 3 and out…miss FG.
Rice scores in 4 plays…60 yard run and blown coverage TD pass.UH is down only 7-3.
The O gets ball and is faced with a 4th and 2 at own 47 as 2nd qtr just started…CMA goes and we lose yardage. Rice has ball on UH 45…D holds to a FG. I thought this was a panic move.We are heavily favored and offense started slow and the he let it affect his judgement imo.

Tech game its 28-28 in 2nd quarter…UH has 4th and 3 at TT 43 with 1:57 to go in half. The D has given up TDs on 3 of last 4 drives. UH gets ball to start 2nd half. Incomplete pass. TT drives and scores with 0:03 on clock. I thought he should have punted and gave TT a long field. The defense had played a lot of plays in extreme heat.Thought he panicked again.I also see the other side…we are on road and D has fallen off so we need to score. But if we can get to half tied…we get ball first.

Navy game thought he handled end of game badly. I know Ed got chopped…but we could have scored running the ball instead looking foolish.

USF game I think CMA learned something and ran out last 7 mins of game.

Summary…I think CMA has struggled a bit with inheriting this offense. He was an OC and college QB. he’s an offense guy…its his background and experience so he should be. And his first OC hire turned out to be not good.I think any of us would feel pressure to produce.
But as HC you have to coach the whole team. I think he sees this teams identity as a scoring machine. I think he gets panicked a bit when it has a few bad series. As a result he will gamble because he feels pressure to put up big numbers. But because of the pace, the D already sees a lot of possessions and snaps. This doesn’t mean i think he shouldn’t ever go on 4th down. But considering our depth on D, I think he should consider the game situation carefully before putting the D back out with a short field. I just thought he acted more as an OC vs Rice and TT examples as opposed to a HC…based on time of game where those things occurred and score at the time. But this is coming from a guy(me) who obviously leans toward defense. Am I off base?

2 Likes

Personally I have no idea what CMA is thinking and don’t care. I watch to see us win and he has delivered 7 times this year.

There is no doubt the offense does their job better than the D but the D does do enough to keep opponents out of the end zone enough for us to win.

My expectations end there. Blowouts are boring at some point and while close games are nerve wracking other than tt the outcome was decided by the 3rd qtr in our wins. Didn’t fact check that but it feels right.