Defensive philosophy

If you have a better suggestion on what to count as a blitz and what not to count as a blitz, I’m all ears. The premise that we only rush 3 most of the game is definitely out the window.

I think he would be a better MLB, with Godfrey or Aninth at rush end ( more speed)… then again, I have never coached a single down of college football.

1 Like

No, I think we typically rush 4. What we don’t do is mix it up; i.e., fake blitzes, have 7 guys line up at LOS. Give the Olineman and QB something to think about, maybe free up Ed O more.

We do not line up in an aggressive mode hardly even. A big part of a successful blitz is randomness and creating confusion.

I miss that.

4 Likes

No it’s not. It’s still hearsay and opinion like everything else on these boards. Someone claiming to watch film, (with the notion that others don’t take the time to do as well) claiming the contrary to what others think still isn’t substantial. It’s still an opinion and everyone else is entitled to their side of the debate.

I don’t think you don’t have to have been a coach to notice individuals making the same mistakes. If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, call it like you see it friend.

I forgot right pass rush in notes on this one…did 100 plays…then only one second half…we were down 14 before this and very late game…but your right

But here in-lies the problem. I’m sure there are many that don’t believe it. A few of those that will go back, watch to a certain point and never reply because they haven’t seen anything that contradicts it. So until someone comes on the board and says “ive watched the video, counted the plays and this is what really happened” I have no reason to not believe something that is a believable statement.

If you don’t want to put in the work to contradict his data or you just plain choose not to believe it, that isn’t his problem or anyone else’s to convince you otherwise.

2 Likes

Shaggy don’t waste energy. Xsmith again you show that you will not admit to anything that might even slightly contradict your anti CMD agenda. You go into theoretical afguements about all kinds of crap.
Pesik watched it and came up with 3 times rushing 3 players…my figures don’t agree. I applaud Pesik because he was very accurate in his play evaluation. I can be certain that he took a lot time because I did the same and very much agree on his evaluation. I say 9 including last TD Pass when game already decided. It’s still 9 of 43 on my count or 20%…I already noted some specific about what down distance etc. We rushed 5 33% and 4 47% according to my completely made up numbers.
I ha e watched this hot mess more times than I care to admit and you question that I actually watched it…smh.
If the numbers don’t prove what you want to show then you go into some rant about the universe and how nothing in the world can be proven.
As for the reason I can say “many don’t rewatch” is because I do and when they throw out generalities like “we played soft all game” or the CBs are always 10 yards off” or “we rushed 3 every down” I know it’s wrong…because I watch it several times.

4 Likes

That play was basically the end of the game. Tech went up by 3 TDs. If 8 was blitzing its a sack and a 3rd and really long. Still could have been a game until this play.

1 Like

This. The Aggie’s confused Andre with so many disguised blitzes he was forced to make quick reads, which affected his accuracy. They were willing to give up a few long plays in return and the risks far outweighed tue alternative… to let the Cogars slowly pick them apart with 5-10 yard passes. Very similar here and great summarization by the OP.

Egbule has certainly been a focus of my criticism at times. But he played really hard vs TT and seems gotten stronger. I agree he doesn’t use pass rush moves. I’m sure our DL coach drills it.
But he was held continually by TT.
I’m sure you will love my upcoming post on all the holds…but seriously I’ve never seen so much holding by a team. I’m putting stuff together but taking awhile. The AAC crew really shafted UH…3 TD plays had obvious holding calls by TT ignored. 2 runs and a pass

1 Like

I don’t consider it a true Blitz until we are rushing 5… that’s right FIVE. Of course this is just my opinion.

But I don’t care if we’re in a 3-4 or 4-3 front… 5 rushers would constitute the blitz in my eyes.

Orlando ran a “multiple” 3-4 hybrid… but at many of the 46ers events, he would say that “we’re really running a 4-3.” His explanation was that we had a 3-4 front, but on every play one of the linebackers was assigned to “blitz” or move onto the line (of course the opposing offense never knew who it would be)… which would effectively turn it into a 4-3, AND THEN he would still truly blitz one of the other linebackers. So in a 3-4 front, a lot of the time it looked like we were blitzing TWO. Really, we were in a “masked 3-4”… which amounted to a 4-3 with one extra blitzing… to make 5 rushers total.

Go back and watch YouTube video of the game vs Louisville when sacked Lamar Jackson 11 times. Many times it looks like we are in a 3-4 front, but appearance is that we have TWO blitzing at the same time… of course when you have 4 linebackers, it makes it much more difficult for the opposing offense to know WHICH TWO are going to blitz.

3 Likes

Yup! Our defense now is a way to easy to read. You know exactly who is coming and who is going to be where. I remember now reading what the problem stressed by the U of Miami fans was; good scheme for NFL caliber players, but in college, the depth is not there for this to be consistent.

3 Likes

Not to mention corners and safeties.

The two blizers were not only LBs …

And yet when I disagree with Shaggy, he thinks it isn’t a complete thought. Just sayin Shaggy, you need to consider how you react before you call out the actions of others. I know you believe you put in the work, in fact I don’t even doubt that but your personal conclusions to your research are greatly impacted by your bias(es) and I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt.

1 Like

“Evidently the pollsters disagree with your assessment of our talent.” As a reply with no quotes, that didn’t show who you were replying to, following a conversation that never mentioned pollsters or talent and you don’t get why anyone would be confused and need you to elaborate? You said in that convo to “agree to disagree.” That means dropping the subject. So drop it please.

Are we talking about player talent or coaching talent !!

Bottom line- you don’t have to watch hours of video to know that this defense is ranked near dead last in defense. Unacceptable.

3 Likes

First off, props on using “intents and purposes” correctly. When I watched that, it looks like 22 is the blitzer, but he gets slowed down because of the play action and O-Line blocking toward the fake run. He could have been faster with recognizing it, but that was a pretty good play action bootleg play to confuse a linebacker who may not be able to see past the line at first.

Just lucky. Surprised I didn’t have a typo there at least.

I don’t think 22 was blitzing. If he was blitzing he’d have gone forward off the snap, changed course to the fake, and then changed course again back to the QB. He went to right towards the fake and finally to towards the QB not crossing the LOS until 3 seconds had gone by. It’s more like an ‘oh, crap, I might want to go get this guy instead of him having all day’ moment.

One other observations. After watching that play multiple times…22 looks dog ass tired as would anyone after so many snaps. Lack of depth and inability to get off the field…huge combined killers.

22 Robinson and 20 Roman Brown have played a lot of downs in all 3 games. But they played probably over 90 plays each vs TT. There is no experienced depth.
Brown was supposed to be #3 guy but Miami grad transfer Darrion Owens went down in 1st qtr vs Rice. They said 2 to 6 weeks. I hope he returns. So Brown got thrown to wolves as he had very few snaps last year, just in mop up duty.
CMD has played Camouche a few downs(no exp), 26 Gooden(no exp) and 24 true Fr Mutin got in vs TT…and had a tackle.