Ed Oliver- Bills Season 1

" DT Ed Oliver

Sensing a pattern yet? Another of Buffalo’s new toys is the ninth overall pick, the man tapped to replace franchise legend Kyle Williams as the only new starter on the league’s reigning No. 2 defense. Oliver has shown flashes of the athleticism and toughness that made him such a steal a nine overall, and he’s even drawn double-teams from his three-tech spot during the preseason. Buffalo drafted him to dismantle offensive lines from the inside, and if he can come in and command the interior, it will go a long way towards making Le’Veon Bell’s return to regular-season action a miserable one."

3 Likes

Coog fans have many players to watch in the nfl this season. Gonna be fun.

2 Likes

Ed was fierce today. Just 2 tackles but mostly whipping the double teams and bringing the heat.

"## Welcome back pass rush

The Jets could not handle Buffalo’s pass rush all game. Jordan Poyer, Shaq Lawson, Lorenzo Alexander, and Jerry Hughes combined for four sacks and Ed Oliver was in the backfield, forcing Sam Darnold off his spot repeatedly. For a team that couldn’t generate a consistent pass rush in 2018, it was a welcome sign even if it’s against a bad Jets line."

2 Likes

Uhhh … not the same I saw on the NFL RedZone broadcast … I saw Oliver on one QB rush but for most of the game he was trading out with bills #97 and when he was in he was manhandled by the Jet’s #68 tackle …

Even the article mentions him as an after fact …

But I suspect you are in love with him … so my condolences …

1 Like

The red zone? One Td was scored by the defense so you watched one other Jets TD for a minute or so?

???
" and Ed Oliver was in the backfield, forcing Sam Darnold off his spot repeatedly."
Repeatedly is a bit more than after the fact.

Ed was good today.
Didn’t men to hurt her feelings by talking about a UH guy (Outland Trophy winner/ All American) on here. She must be having a rough day.

1 Like

As I stated … my condolences … tootsie

Being an All American doesn’t mean you become an all pro your first NFL game …

Both OU former QB heisman winners were disasters today … Mayfield got killed by the titans and Murray is currently getting murdered by the lions … they should stick to commercials for now … heisman schmismans … all American didn’t help them out … either …

1 Like

Davy is very picky about which coogs he supports.

Absolutely!!! …

I worked/paid my way on my own through UH back when in mid-60s … worked nights and finished in 3 years and got my degree …

GET YOUR DEGREE!!! … and if you are on scholarship … THEN EARN IT!!! … no free rides … no prima donnas who quit and never finish their commitment to our university or never get their degrees …

8 Likes

I get it…but in these times there is no working and paying for your degree.

1 Like

Ed earned his right to choose if he wanted to leave school early.That’s why he was drafted so high.He certainly earned it! He also is a great ambassador for the university. I’ve stayed away from this post for a while because of the jacket gate butt hurt individuals, but this is getting ridiculous. Your contributions to the University of Houston aren’t any more valuable than Ed’s, mine, or anyone else for that matter. We’re all Coogs and don’t need to try to tear each other down. What’s the point of that? Professional athletes have also been going back to finish their degrees. Just because he didn’t now, doesn’t mean he won’t later. It’s not the end of the world.

5 Likes

Well I didn’t expect my “support” comments would get very many " In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti" blessing.

RIGHT NOW … there are more dark clouds brewing besides those of former coogs playing in the NFL …

Here on the board and on Facebook I suspect not many are happy with the team … King’s performance … the defense … Holgerson … and where the season may be heading …

A mini-civil war maybe brewing … if we don’t finish above 6 - 6

3 Likes

There are number of threads dedicated to those topics. This thread is about Ed and his play on the field, not someone’s personal opinion of his character or those (scholarship athletes) who have the luxury (because that’s what it is; life isn’t fair, so what), to leave early. I personally wish Ed the most success obtainable on his path through life.

3 Likes

THEN I stand on my comments about Ed’s play today … it WAS NOT IMPRESSIVE!!! …

and against the NY Jets … not exactly the ole Pittsburgh Steelers …

JJ Watt he was NOT … and I saw JJ play at Wisconsin in Madison as a senior against OhioSt then the #1 team in the nation … and as a Texan his first game … great difference …

I wish Oliver well … but he DOES need to get better …

1 Like

This type of bitter attitude towards a Coog player should not be allowed on a message board. Keep that trash to yourself.

3 Likes

This is silly. College really isn’t for everyone. He doesn’t need a degree to be a professional athlete. That is his desire and craft in life. Kobe Bryant didn’t go to college and things worked out fine for him. I’m glad we were able to have a player of his caliber at UH. Usually players at big time programs are the ones dealing with players leaving early.

1 Like

Hey, Dave…That is remarkable…in three years! I agree, wholeheartedly, with regards to the degree! Ed, however, is one of our own, degree or no. He will do well, regardless, so lets support him.

This comment didn’t age well.

In? lol :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow::yum:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/merk256/status/1170771251931099136?s=21

3 Likes

Wow that is some serious “Old man yelling at a cloud” right there. It’s not a primma Donna thing to leave early, it’s the smart thing to do, if you have a winning lottery ticket you cash it in. Are you saying all those years ago you would not have left school to pursue your chosen profession if a lot of money was out there to do what you loved? I think outcomes and time have clouded your perceptions there.

I’m regards to his actual play, Ed is clearly under developed in his pass rushing moves as well as his hand fighting technique. This was known all along by everybody in the NFL. So yes he needs to get better if he’s going to have a successful career. But man you are over the top.

1 Like