Elandon Roberts - Ft Bend Traffic stop

I can not begin to argue with people who want to go into the unconscious bias crap. If you want to start with that, then it needs to be on both sides of ANY confrontation and not just the cop, but ERob, the wife, and from you or me etc, never ending. You don’t know the cop from Jack to assume anything other than you wanting to prejudge him, me or anyone as well. Just a silly road to go down imo.

From the standpoint of waiting, I had to wait at least that long many times. But I don’t pretend to know why the cops are sitting in their car. Maybe there was a tip or something that I am not aware of. But I am not as “privileged” as ERob to have a lawyer to call and have them investigate.

And all cops I know come to the car with their hands on their guns. I am not sure where some of you are getting stopped, but I have never had a nice cop ask me how my day is going, had anything than a stern to annoyed tone at best or gave a crap about my time.

And the Big Black Man comment is exactly what I hope a cop would say. It is an accurate description and if something happens, useful information. Should he have said, the attractive man who has nice eyes? We are now so PC that you can’t even say big black man anymore when a cop describes someone who is getting out of their car when they are not supposed to. The fact that people are thinking it is anything other than a description is actually in itself a bias against the cop or big black men.

It is just as wrong to prejudge this cops internal biases or intentions as it is to assume ERob is anything other than a big black man who lives there.

Do I wish cops were much nicer and displayed the same customer service as my local department store clerk, HECK YES!! And I am not a cop fan at all! I have never had a good experience with them and they only caused me grief.

Not only are they paid by ERob and his taxes, but they are their to protect him as well. So for sure they should be much nicer, but again, I have never had a cop be anything other than this and much worse. So to think this is anything other than run of the mill cop crap is just crazy to me.

And the fact that he can get them to cancel the ticket and give an apology just shows how money is the only privileged you need most of the time imo.

1 Like

I really don’t see it, could you explain to me what the travesty of justice is in this case? Unless ERob wasn’t speeding I’m not sure what could be considered harassment. I watched the whole video and it all seemed tame to me, maybe annoying but if you pull a traffic violation, you should face the consequences.

Why do you think the cop lied about the not being compliant comment? The cop knows it is being taped so it isn’t like he thinks he can get away with anything.

I think the cop had to tell him two times to get back in his car on top of ERob getting out of his car in the first place. So imo, I think that is why he “thought” he was not being compliant, wrongfully of course imo but we don’t know if he lied though.

But I am not sure it was intentional but rather crappy cop work. Which is on par for cops a lot of times imo.

BTW do we know how long a cop should take, by police protocol, to tell someone why they are stopped instead of everyone assuming how long it should take? You said it was almost 9 min, when really it was barely over 8 min. Not a big difference, but obviously people are upset by the time.

Do you enjoy beating up on strawmen?

1 Like

Gosh…maybe you should tell me with my unconscious biases?!

I’m sure you have them somewhere like we all do. It’s worth studying up on.

Other than that, we can agree to disagree on this one. We both have our own opinion we will stick too and talking in circles isn’t going to change that.

100% I agree that we do, but to pretend to know this cops or ERobs biases or thoughts is doing nothing but stereotyping imo.

And to guess based on stereotypes (white, black, cop or not) is racist or prejudicial at least isn’t it?

I’m guessing based on what I saw in the video which I discussed earlier.

What did you see that made you think it was anything other than a cop who could have had a better tone and not make ERob wait so long?

Most of what I could say would just be repeating what I said in my first post above. And, I know you disagree with it. I see this one differently than you and that’s ok.

Time to close this thread. Go coogs!

2 Likes

I think a lot of people do this kind of analysis (stereotyping) of course as we dont have the time to really find out all the facts like who this man really is or how has he reacted to big white or asian men or women (can’t be sexist!) etc. Maybe he is biased against big guys and not black men, who the hell knows.

So like I said, sounds like you are just judging him cause he is a white cop imo. I would hope we would stay away from that if possible.

I try to stick with just the facts rather than judge him stereotypically if possible. And in this case, I have been treated the exact same way by cops in the past and don’t see anything unique to think he is getting a raw deal at all.

You’re wrong. I’m not judging because he’s white. Honestly, I come out on the cop’s side of these more often than not. I just don’t see this one that way. Again, agree to disagree.

Sounds good! Just glad no one was hurt most of all.

2 Likes

I’m glad no one was hurt and I’m sympathetic to the challenges our police officers (of all colors) face every day. I’m sure bias does come into play on both sides of this issue but I have grown tired of the race card being played at every opportunity. It’s not always about race and the folks in jail aren’t arrested because they fit a certain stereotype. They are arrested because they are the ones doing the crime. If you are pulled over (no matter who you are) you need to be respectful of the law. Being a smart ass and arguing with the police will not get you anywhere no matter who you are.
And if you are driving home without a shirt on you can expect to be arrested! Have you ever watched an episode of Cops? Most of the guys they arrest (all colors) don’t have a shirt on.

I’m with Law on this assessment of the video and unconscious biases. Also agree there are #5s in RT’s typology but they are a minority and more likely very educated people.

Obviously, not all cops are racists. With that said, racism/prejudice in police departments have been an issue since the inception of formal police departments in the mid-19th century for many reasons. Minorities are disproportionately targeted by CJ establishment. That is taught in many CJ courses - largely because data supports it.

Time

Philadelphia Pulls 72 Cops Off the Street Over Allegations of Racist and…

Police Commissioner Richard Ross says 72 Philadelphia police officers have been placed on administrative duty amid an initial investigation.

I work with many current and former cops. Some will confirm racism is a problem in police departments - some wouldn’t. I can also personally confirm some cops are racists and it plays out in their jobs.

1 Like

Never ever ever get out of your car when pulled over unless it’s on fire! I’m 57 years old and have never seen police shot and killed at this rate since the birth of BLM…these police officers really just want to do their jobs and go home to their families at the end of the day…sure there are bad apples but I don’t think this guy is one of them…He sees this big guy getting out of his car and has no ideal what’s about to happen…not sure any of you guys trashing the cop would or could have handled the situation dealt…When I was growing up I never heard of cops getting killed…now it’s every day somewhere! Just stay in your car and let them write the ticket! These situations are most always caused by the citizen not doing what they are supposed to do and this case is no different!

2 Likes

CoogCK,

I couldn’t venture a guess as to “why,” but based on the video, I can’t see any valid basis for his claim of Roberts’ non-compliance.

It appears to be a deliberate falsehood, as far as I can tell, though obviously, I can’t get into his head and know what he is thinking or motivations might be.

Regarding cognitive bias, the class that I took at “baby prosecutor’s school” courtesy of the Texas District and County Attorney’s Association explained it better than I ever could.

1 Like

There it is, the “BLM” reference. Please provide empirical proof to your claim. Otherwise, this is emotion based. People have a right to get pissed if they are being singled out, and of course they have been historically.

2 Likes

I was an HPD officer for 30 years, patrolman, sergeant, and lieutenant, so I’ve seen this type of situation many times, either at the scene, or in administrative review. River Oaks types, athletes (1986 Mets at Cooters), politicians, lawyers, a**hole officers, etc. No one here is capable of intelligently judging this, yet.

I’m just glad no animals were harmed in the making of this video. I still want ER to do well, and I hope he doesn’t push to make more of this than exists. I also hope that if his agency decides he should have handled things differently, this deputy learns from it and has a great career. Just get off of night shift, ASAP. I’ve been retired for several years, and still can’t sleep at night.

And I’ve just got to say one more thing. “Cognitive Bias” studies are like polygraph examinations, in that they’re both voodoo science. Just saying.

2 Likes