ELMO

ELMO WAS THE FIRST TO DANCE IN THE ENDZONE AND
QUITE POPULAR. HE GOT AN ELECTRACAL ENGINEERING
DEGREE WHICH WAS VERY HAD WHILE PLAYING FB.
HE WAS THE CITY ENGINEER AND I USE TO VISIT WITH
HIM AFTER THE LETTINGS. THERE WAS A COUPLE OF
OTHER COOGS AND WE WOULD ENJOY SOME ADULT
BEV. AN OUTSTANDING COOG AND A GREAT FIRST
RATE EXAMPLE FOR UH. CONGRATS TO ELMO.

9 Likes

Great insight Grayfox. Well deserved indeed!

4 Likes

Agreed! Elmo must have been a popular name a few generations ago.

Our, West Columbia Roughnecks had a roughneck as the mascot. A hulk built of fiberglass. We had a band member who was built just like him, a Czech farmer from north of town off SH36.

We played and continue to compete with Sweeny in sports. I think they call it the “Battle of The San Bernard” (river). Lots if high school history. Another great player more recently from Sweeny was Tank Carder. Tank Carder - Wikipedia

Sweeny has had some really good players. Elmo, who also played in the band before becoming a great Bulldog along with Quarterback Lindsey and Helms at RB.
Barney Harris was a speedster who came to UH. Later Johnny Lee Wiggins didn’t get an offer from UH but went on to be a star at UTEP.
Woodard made prep AA at Sweeny and went to evil empire.
Tank Carter is another one UH never even came to see.
TCU was his only offer and the Frogs got themselves a good one.
Tank was a great athlete, starting linebacker, fullback and I think punted and kicked off.
He was an excellent starting forward in basketball and the starting shortstop for the district champs.
He was also an outstanding golfer.
Started at TCU at lb for three years. Our coaches never talked to him either despite receiving several phone calls from alums.

CBY if you got him in private could tell some interesting stories about his recruitment of Elmo. As I recall it UT was interested in him until some of the cigars told CDR that Elmo’s color was disqualifying

That was a big MISS on UH recruiting’s part for sure!

Watching TCU play, was a constant drone of his name as he made and influenced plays.