Empty College Baseball Stadiums

Why don’t they use college stadiums for low-a, especially short season or wooden bat summer leagues. Other than a few high school our stadium and Rice’s just sits there empty from June (at the latest if we’re not hosting playoff tourneys) until February rolls around. It has the seating, and facility needed.

Seems it would be beneficial. The team wouldn’t need to build a stadium, and the school benefits from leasing the facility out. Is there some sort of NCAA regulations against it?

3 Likes

Good question. Not sure why they don’t at some schools.

Actually, college baseball are sometimes used by minor league baseball teams.

Lamar U’s Vincent-Beck Stadium in Beaumont was used for Beaumont Golden Gators and Beaumont Bullfrogs minor league baseball games back in the day, as I recall.

I believe that the Golden Gators were a AA affiliate of the Padres in Beaumont back in the 80s. I remember seeing one of those Beaumont Golden Gators games at Vincent-Beck Stadium when I was a kid.

See here:

1 Like

Also, in other cases, college baseball teams play in minor league stadiums.

A perfect example is the Tulane Green Wave, which plays its games in the AAA stadium whose primary tenant is the New Orleans Baby Cakes.

Same for University of New Mexico, which plays in the Albuquerque Isotopes AAA stadium.

Duke plays its games in Durham Bulls park.

1 Like

UH is used plenty in the summer for camps and high school select tournaments. Part of the baseball staff’s salary depends on the multiple camps being run at the school.

Im not sure how attractive a summer league would be in 100 degree heat everyday on a turf field. There was a wood bat league (Texas Collegiate League) in North Texas for a number of years in the Dallas area…it didnt go well.

2 Likes

Oh definitely…no need to have a minor league team use Schroeder Park in the offseason. For one, it’s right down the street from Minute Maid and, as you said, that thing is basically in use the moment the Cougars’ season is done until they start fall practice.

Couple of factors…sons team played at UH 2 weeks ago and while its really cool to play there you have to have a pretty good size tournament to justify it as the cost to rent facility is up there. The local college summer league / wood bat league uses Premier Baseball with one team based out of Bayland. The wear and tear of field is factor, go look at BBUSA and PBA and see how quick they get worn out. As cool as it is to play there it’s brutal hot in deep summer Texas heat mid-day…we had thermo on field couple years ago and was reading 125…my shoes felt like were melting :slight_smile:

1 Like