Eyes on No. 10

Got the start has made plays

Just heard he wrestled in high-school. We definitely need to come up with a wrestling nick name for him. The Boulder? The Big Smash?

2 Likes

Yes. He was an all-state wrestler iirc

I love the Hag!

1 Like

Greatest American singer/songwriter ever.

1 Like

Get a big guy like 10 to own the middle. I think that’s a key to beating Navy. If they don’t have a K Reynolds or healthy M Perry at QB I don’t see us losing to them often. I think a lot of AAC foes are figuring their offense out.

Or Will Worth

Because of this thread I focused on him. He is a difference maker. #10 has all America potential.

I didn’t realize he was that short. He looks like he could be Warren Sapp type of player.

1 Like

Great at plugging up middle and stopping run, but he is no Ed Oliver as far as pass rush so far, just a freshman though, I like him a lot

2 Likes

There is not much running going up the middle from anyone this season and it is night and day from the past few years. This feels like our best run defense in forever. Our front 7 is solid.

7 Likes

Oliver was not a great pass rusher . Right now he is making a huge difference and I think we will start seeing some plays in the backfield soon. Another difference is he has some real studs playing around him making plays with guys like Stuard and Turner.

He doesn’t have Ed’s explosion off the ball nor his top end speed. He’s a true NT. Run stuffer and eats up blocks. Has better hands than Ed because of his wrestling training. Just my take.

4 Likes

DOT’s height or lack of reminded me of another UH DT who went on and played 8 seasons in the NFL. Sadly he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s desease and died at 31 years of age

Glenn Montgomery had a great nickname. It was something like “too tall” or “too short” when he played for the Oilers. While at UH he was surrounded by several outstanding players on the front 7.

5 Likes

Being short has an advantage of leverage. You can get under the OL and are driving up using your legs. You can’t push down as much as you can push up. The most you can push down is your own weight, you can push much more up. How much you can squat is basically your upward push. Just physics.

2 Likes

Buyercoog. I was thinking the same thing yesterday about Glenn Montgomery. Before Dot is done here, he will be mentioned in the same breath with some of our best D Linemen of all time.

He is a stud.

Our DL. recruiting has really picked up.

As has the coaching

2 Likes

As our defense continues to build through recruits and JUCO’s, it will make it almost impossible for UH to schedule perennial powerhouse teams, the kind that we are supposed to beat on our way to an undefeated season to have a chance at the faux playoff.

Timing is everything - PFF College

5 Likes