FBS conferences with fewer than 12 members now able to hold championship game

Council members adopted a proposal that originated with the Division I Football Oversight Committee but also approved an amendment from the Big Ten Conference. The amendment, offered by the Big Ten late last week, allows conferences with fewer than 12 members to hold championship games in football, as long as they meet one of two additional conditions: Conferences that want to play championship games must either play their championship game between division winners after round-robin competition in each division or between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin, regular-season competition between all members of the conference.

Members voted 77 percent to 23 percent to amend the proposal and then 77 percent to 23 percent to adopt it as amended. Only the Football Bowl Subdivision members of the Council participated in the vote, and votes were weighted. Votes from members representing the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern conferences each counted twice. Votes from members representing the American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, Mountain West Conference and Sun Belt Conference each counted once.

1 Like

Are all propsoals counted this way? What a racket!!!

Basically, it is not a vote !!

I guess that’s the benefit of being an ‘autonomous’ conference

That is considered a fair way to vote in Venezuela…Cuba…Russia…China.

I did the math and it is not possible to get to 77% if there are 15 votes. 10-5 is 67%; 11-4 is 73%; 12-3 is 80%.

Assuming the yeas were around 77%, one of the G5s voted with the P5s to ensure the B12 will never expand.

I think one of them abstained. Maybe the PAC if I remember correctly.

But yes the AAC did vote yes.

The threat was that if the G5 conferences didn’t go along with it, the 5 conferences would either leave the NCAA or create their own division. When the vote was taken, the American was just being formed and the schools that made it up didn’t want to rock the boat.