For those who think we only throw left and right behind LOS

…pretty bad or simply not good, hmmmm?

1 Like

Losing 3 straight homecoming games didn’t help Levines cause either.

Is there any site that offers a ‘spot of the catch’ chart similar to NBA game shot charts?

I was just giving an example of why that statistic isn’t necessarily positive but let me explain why 35 points isn’t good enough in your scenario. If you want to say that every 41 yard pass turns into a TD, fine. Let’s correct your math because I said one out of 10 of the completions goes for 41 yard gain and the other 9 completions go for 0 yard gain. In order to score 35 points with that average, the QB would need to complete 50 passes behind the line of scrimmage, not 30. With that, it’s even less of a reach to say that two 0 yard gains in a drive results in a punt because we aren’t getting 10 yard runs for first downs. So in your scenario, to get 35 points, it would be out of at least 23 drives.

Just to go back to the main point, you were talking about yards per completion anyway. Incompletes are important and the potential for a pick 6 is even more important. The real average was only 3.4 yards per attempt which would be a terrible running game average and it’s much less likely to have a handoff turn into a fumble 6 than a screen pass to be a pick 6.

2 Likes

That was a great breakdown Shaggy.

A pessimist says glass half empty, optimist says glass half full. Engineering types say, “I’m glad I have half my water in a redundant glass.”

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. The behind the line pass has been implemented as an augmentation to the hand off or lateral. It really shouldn’t be considered a pass as much as a long hand off in an effort to get the ball to guys in space. Indeed, several are really backward instead of lateral or forward and if not caught are a fumble. Also remember the jet sweep which is used several times a game is listed as a pass when it is really a 1 or 2 foot toss. This is an integral part of all spread offenses, so you better get used to it. When unproductive, the bubble screen is no different than a run up the middle for little or no gain.

1 Like