Gameday Thread: Navy at Houston

And Navy may be going into Army as an underdog. That’s a weird sentence to type eh?

1 Like

If the guys you know are enlisted or NCOs then that group always looks suspiciously at officers.

Academy grads, especially the new ones all think they’re the next Patton or whatever the Navy equivalent would be . That makes them even more detestable.

1 Like

Scouting Navy I heard more than once that these players are bigger and faster than previous teams, IE “better players.” When you get better football players you’ll get some guys who have egos and talk trash.

1 Like

Big tip of the hat to CMA - beat a decent Navy team today

I’ll give him a C going into the Bowl Game

Definitely, but fully expect it. What Monken has done at West Point has been incredible.

I thought all of his hires were reasonable at the beginning of the season, and D’Onofrio for the most part was a good hire. Despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth after Tulsa and Tulane, the D held most opponents to season lows.

Oline improved from last year
RBs same as last year
QB, once we got him in, is good for his first yr as a starter
WRs played well

DLine as good as last year
LBs not as good, but not coaching issue. Bowser leaving was huge.
DBs are very young and their deficiencies were hidden for the most part

I don’t like the containment style, but it has been effective.

Johnson has turned out to be a poor play caller. CMA needs to bring in a co-OC and leave Johnson primarily to QB.

5 Likes

This is true. Non-Academy officers usually got more of a break from the enlisted because they were more down to earth. Of course, the Academy guys generally didn’t like that.

Strange thing, worst commander I had in the AF was a former enlisted and the best I had was an Academy grad so they aren’t all bad.

Major needs to call the offensive plays and relegate Johnson to QB coach. The Major has been an effective OC in the past.

2 Likes

Applewhite DID out coach Navy.
Can’t believe Navy did not play action more. They made me sooo happy.

1 Like

Virtually every time they dropped back to pass, the result was a lot of pressure and/or a sack. If they’d thrown more, the game would have been a blowout in our favor.

1 Like

Great assessment, I feel the D has been better than average for the year. The offense has been painful to watch. Team intangibles needs work. Frost just took UCF from 0-12 to 11-0 in two years, so no excuses for less than massive improvements in 2018

1 Like

Almost entirely agree. Although I don’t think the play calling today was terrible, just riddled with poor execution in the 2nd half. I am certainly less impressed with Johnson than D’Onofrio, but I’d also like to see him playcalling with a junior D’Eriq King who’s spent the entire offseason as the starting QB of this team. The playcalling was certainly better after DK took over as the starter.

I think that Jerard Carter’s play is opened up Oliver. Carter had a really good game today.

3 Likes

I don’t know what age group you are referring to; but when I was in the Navy from 1966-1970 most of the best officers I encountered were from the academy. They just stood out. There were some two year wonders from ROTC at various colleges or OCS that were just there to get their service out of the way to avoid the draft that were often popular because they didn’t care what the guys did. These guys were not good officers. The worst to me were the ROTC guys who were out to show they were every bit as Navy as the academy guys. Those were the A-holes. But, there were a lot of good officers from various college ROTC units.

All in all though, the separation of officers from enlisted in the Navy is probably more stark than other branches from what I gather from guys I’ve talked to from other branches.

Unlike about 90% of the experts on this board…

1 Like

Johnson has had his moments, but my understanding is CMA took a much heavier role in determining adjustments and plays that needed to be run later in the season. After Tulsa was were he took a more active role in the in-game offensive management is my understanding.

I’m getting annoyed playing Navy every single year. Most of my reasons are not their fault at all. And I lived on an awesome Naval Air Station for 8 years as a child so please keep the anti-military card in your pocket. Here’s my list:

1. They seem to get 90% of all questionable calls.

2. Cut blocks all day long.

3. We’re not allowed to talk trash to them or about them because it is disrespectful or something. Where’s the fun in that?

4. They have two rivals, Army and Air Force, and that will never change regardless of their conference affiliation so there’s no potential for an in-conference rivalry with us or anyone they’re just kind of there.

5. We seem to be in a scheduling loop with them where we play early in the season in Annapolis even years and at TDECU on Black Friday on odd years. They seem to be tougher early in the year and obviously are tough at home so the odds of splitting this series accordingly has held serve thus far.

6. They get very generous spots on their runs. It’s like the line official is trained to take a few steps forward on each play. I bet they haven’t had many 4th and inches this year, just a hunch.

They have certainly exceeded expectations in the AAC thus far. While we’re at it I’m annoyed at Memphis too because they have really really good receivers that makes our secondary look silly, even some of our NFL guys. But at least we can have a rivalry with them.

3 Likes

They belong in the east…I mean look where they are geographically located

2 Likes

Navy’s head coach would disagree with your assessment regarding the refs. lol

1 Like

I understand u being tired of playing Navy, but the trip to DC, then Annapolis is awesome . . . . .

1 Like