Graduate School Question For The Huddled Masses

One can check virtually any University’s web site and learn that both the deadline to apply for the Spring semester and the deadline to take and pass The GRE have passed.

Spring classes have already begun everywhere.

Thus a football player graduating in December and then transferring to another school cannot play spring football unless the player took the required steps back in October-December 1-15 or so.

The other option is to take post Bac courses, but this still would require going through some type of admission procedure.

Many players have announced transfers since December ended.

It would seem that very few of them can show up at a new campus until next June.

Does this seem correct? If so why and how does a top ranked Football program take a Grad Transfer who never practices until next Summer?

Short answer, is of course shenanigans. We’re still in a gray area right now where strings can be pulled forapplications and everything put in good order. Much longer and yeah you’ll see everyone waiting until the summer semester.

C’mon folks, athletes can and do get “special” treatment at colleges and universities on a regular basis. It’s SOP. Normal rules don’t apply. [ie: can the kid row a boat?]

School has started. Wouldn’t the transfer have to be in school right now if he wants to play Spring Football?

2 Likes

I figure it will be some late registration.

What ever school will make exceptions I am sure.

You think that a football player would need a GRE?

Wake up and smell the coffee.

2 Likes

Is it ground or instant?

Some of those expectations will be to make exceptions for athletes, like that never happens.

You are supposed to take the grad admission tests such as the GRE, etc. before graduating regardless of the school destination. I am assuming the student athlete in this case has taken the test during summer or fall terms.

1 Like

Black Rifle CAE

He could get conditional admissions.

I’m thinking the December Grads/transfers will not be part of Spring practice at their new campus.

They won’t be on campus.

They will quite likely be on campus for spring drills. Late admission is no big deal for an athlete.

1 Like

I didn’t need a GRE for grad school admission. I had a score, but the department head, with whom I met personally, said he didn’t care about the GRE and admitted me after I talked with him for about 10 minutes. Could have been my good looks . . .

So I don’t think it’s mandatory. Schools have freedom to admit who they want (provided they don’t violate other laws, like anti-discrimination laws, etc.).

I checked the Bauer Business School web site for The MBA program. Admission requires GMAT or GRE. Plus a Letter of Recommendation. I am guessing that a visitor to Miami this weekend has no such things in his briefcase.

Most likely you’ll need one of GRE, GMAT, MCAT or LSAT score depending on the major/field you are planning to study in graduate school.

Since the requirements are similar at UH, why the assumption that the implied athlete doesn’t have a GRE score?

you mean CAF? Twice the caffeine and only comes in ground because of the added caffeine.

Yes. Typo. I really like all of the BRCs though.

He was going to take post-bacc classes at UH. I’m assuming he will do the same wherever he ends up (which will likely be Miami).

Either, I’m betting they find a way to get him admitted.

1 Like