Ground Zero

That is right. 2002 was Allison.

1 Like

Mike, now worries. Iā€™m not questioning Daveā€™s or anyone elseā€™s loyalty. Not sure where you picked up on that from my post. Itā€™s a good conversation as far as I can tell. In my 45 years of going to Coog games Iā€™ve seen a lot of highs and lows, and regardless of what happens this season Iā€™m happy with the Holgorsen hire.

1 Like

Year one with sooooo many unknowns at all three parts of the game. Part of me wants a winning season with a winning bowl game and beginning the build. Anything more than that is gravy.

2 Likes

TS Allison was June 2001.

1 Like

Okayā€¦I will change the narrative back to positiveā€¦
What were Custerā€™s final words ???
ā€œā€¦Wowā€¦look at all those f***ing Indiansā€¦ā€
:smiley:
Go Coogs !!! Just Win Baby !!!

2 Likes

Chris are you are fine winning 6 games with possibly the most talented offense have had?

Screw that, we should have a great season.
We are elite to very good to good at every position on offense.

1 Like

I believe it is the defense what we are all holding our breath on. I think the consensus is that a zombie could have done a better job than No D last year and Cauthen is no zombie. The defensive cupboard isnā€™t bare so even if our D is middle of the FBS pack, I think that gets us 8 wins with our offense, at least. We catch a couple of breaks and who knows?

I personally expect barn burners against OU, WSU, UCF, Memphis, SMU, and maybe Cincy.

Come on September! Iā€™m running out of old games to watch!!

2 Likes

We are elite at 1 position QB. Transfer guards havenā€™t played a down yet they are good or very good? Out tackles are good. Our center is brand spanking new. Our receivers are not elite nor are they very good. In fact, I think the bunch are barely fair. They can be good but they havenā€™t done it yet. We have 1 RB that is good.

I can whip off a couple of more talented offenses in the time Iā€™ve been watching football at UH. This one isnā€™t in my top 10.

Let me sell you a first class ticket on the Ghost Train To Pollyannacoat Junction.

2 Likes

Yes elite at the most important position

You can say wait and see about receivers but this group is very good. I think we got 3 really good ones and another 2 who have a chance to be really good.

TE just have to go on what CDH said but that is one position I was not counting to produce much.

Some of the other really good offenses we have had lacked much on the OL. This is a group who can be really good with health. We have one really good OT may go pretty high in the draft. We have another tackle who has suprised and is good. We have a center who is good.
The guards have been filled with quality and it has been awhile since we have had the trio and OT and C of this caliber.
RB is more of a wait and see though I really like PC.
Porter was never an elite talent coming from Katy and should not have been given 4 stars, but he does a lot of things well and is going to be a real nice addition.
MC is the guy who can make this a really deep backfield. He has the talent and maybe now in a real scheme and good OL he will display those flashes more often.

I like your optimism. Donā€™t agree. Hope youā€™re right and Iā€™m wrong.

Iā€™m not climbing aboard the Ghost Train To Pollyannacoat Junction

2 Likes

What did you end up thinking about Case as QB?

Now defense, on the other hand, is a complete unknown.
It looks primed to be pretty good by next season, but time will tell if they had enough time to fix the disaster on the roster MA created.

When Case was under Briles, he was not a good thrower of the football. I used to say when he threw the ball longer than 20 yards, guys in camo popped up and shot at it. After his time with Dana & Kliff he was transformed into a bona fide passing machine. Funny, QBs under Dana stay in the NFL. Briles? Not so much.

5 Likes

Coach, Iā€™m in agreement with you about the overall pessimism for there season. Iā€™m thinking Vegas had it about right at the 7.5 mark.

Iā€™m curious about what youā€™ve seen or heard, because you seem to have specific reasons. Is it an overall talent issue? not adjusting to Holgorsen and staff quickly enough, I wouldnā€™t be surprised to hear about a real lack of development either. Just curious to hear a bit more specific take, because you seem to have some real concrete reasons.

When CDH came in Case worked all that summer on improving his arm strength. As I recall he had coaches and trainers devoted to that. Improvement in arm strength and working on the long ball is what led to so much improvement under CDH in addition to CDH being a hell of a q-back coach.

1 Like

Well if that doesnā€™t kick the wheels off the polly trainā€¦

Nothing hurts the Ghost Train to Pollyannacoat Junction except losing.

Frankly I would be more excited about this season if all the parts on D were able to play.

It appears that CDH spoke highly of CB Javian Smith, then he got injured and out for the season.

CDH has talked about how impressive CB Marcus Jones has been in practice. Experienced starter from Troy. Unfortunately this would be starter at UH has been declared ineligible for this season.

Now DB Colin Samuel, Transfer from UCLA is recovering from a knee injury and questionable if he will be 100%.

It would also be good for the D if the NCAA allowed Eyabi Anoma to play before the OU game.He would go great with the returning DL.

The weakest part of the UH D is DB, not because UH does not have talent on the roster, but because injured players and those on the practice squad would be starters.

OU has great starters and depth at WRā€™s to go along with outstanding RBā€™s. Their OL is rebuilding, but so is the UH DL.
I would love to see an upset, say 3 interceptions and two fumbles by OU and zero turnovers by UH.

OU and WSU will give our DBā€™s many problems, hopefully by the time we travel out North Texas they will be better prepared for another great passing team.

Fortunately for UH, except for Cincinnati, Tulane, UCF, and Memphis, UH should be heavily favored for Wā€™s in the other conference gamesā€¦

I would love 14-0 but would not be surprised with a 7-5

Our D still seems to be a year or so away from 2015-16 level because of bad recruiting by CTH and MA on that side.

1 Like

The NCAA is not going to grant a waiver to a dude skipping out on classes since February. No way, not gonna happen.

I was thinking last night that 2-2 in OOC is realistic, with some breaks we beat WSU and go 3-1. Without some breaks we could be 1-3. With the injuries piling up, I canā€™t take the plunge on an OU upset. IF everyone were healthy and all the bounces went our way maybe, but that is asking too much. Then again, Pharaoh didnā€™t think Moses had a chance either.

In conference, I picked out the same four teams as you as teams that could be a loss as much as a win. I think UCF is more on the loss side. Plus, we seem to shoot ourselves in the foot each year against a team we should clearly beat. So I think 5-3 in conference is safe. A few breaks and maybe were 7-1. One of those breaks has to be no more injuries. With bad breaks and our annual toe stubbing, which I really, really hope we avoid, weā€™re 4-4 or 3-5 in conference.

So may worse case is 4-8. Best case is 10-2. Base case is 7-5. My gut says 8-4. I donā€™t gamble so I have no money where my mouth is but if I did, I would take the under on the 7.5 wins.

1 Like