Has UGone Made it Official?

I bet the Big East and UCONN have an understanding that they will eventually get rid of football.

The drain of that stadium made them go on the cheap elsewhere & it hurt them long term. I saw a post that their recent offensive coordinator was making $150k.

I also saw in a thread that the UConn Att. General is exploring suing the AAC.

Much different situation but UConn sued back in the 1st ACC expansion & the ACC never forgot.

Despite being a good fit when Cuse & Pitt joined they gave UConn the cold shoulder. Louisville was the choice.

1 Like

I feel sorry for this guy and his family. How can he recruit anyone to go there to play Football???

1 Like

Those are some interesting points. I don’t think UCONN will have to worry about losing money on a bowl game though. Lol at least not very often.

2 Likes

Boston College made it clear that UCONN was unwanted. Basically made it clear they wanted to own the region.

It sucks…they’re basically where we were about 4-5 years after the SWC ended, but we didn’t have an out in the Big East at the time to jump to. If there had been, I have a feeling that we may have made the same move back in 2000-01 as there were calls to get rid of football at the time.

I just think this is so short-sighted by them to do this without thinking it through. Honestly, they could have been in the mix for a future B1G invite if they could get their football program in better shape. Their academics are good, close to AAU good. They’re also close to New York and Boston which the B1G covets. And of course they’ve got brand name basketball programs. If they fix a few things with the athletic department, get their football program back to respectable, and get basketball going again…they’ve got a chance. Now…they’ve got no chance and they’ll never balance their budget without dropping sports.

2 Likes

They started to fill the schedule:

“The scheduling of games with Central Connecticut and Lafayette, although not out of the ordinary, likely comes as the Huskies prepare for football independence. The Lafayette contract was executed in late April, while the Central Connecticut contracts were executed only eight days ago.”

1 Like

I do not know what they are smoking up there but they think they are the next ND by going indy. They believe they will make more money then been in the AAC in football. FOX is just going to throw them money for their football program.

Go here are read the comments. They think they will be making 6 million in football as Indy.

The multiple posts after that page about UCONN moving their football team to the Big12 were pretty funny.

They won’t be making 6 mil though for buy-games though. They might make 2-3 million a season from teams looking to beat up on a team in September…once it gets past that date, most teams are playing in conference and the only available teams are usually the other independents…who aren’t going to pay for buy-games. That 2-3 million will be basically replace the money they got from the American for bowl/championship game revenue.

But, that probably means that UCONN football continues to suck…and the fans will continue to stay away and UCONN loses money on that deal. Problem is, if they get good enough to be bowl eligible, the buy-games will dry up. Powers won’t pay for games if you’re good. So, they can continue to lose and have no fanbase, no recruits, and no future…or win, maybe get a low-tier bowl, lose money on that bowl, get no recruits, no good coach, and get no money from buy-games while probably not really growing the fanbase.

FCS would probably be a better existence as they could at least compete for something, be a member of the Big East in football, and get decent games against regional teams. Staying independent is suicide at this point.

1 Like

One thing that i haven’t seen mention. SOS. If scheduling UConn affects SOS. Why would any P5 schedule from this point on.

1 Like

"UMass offers a blueprint for UConn’s potential football future"UMass Blueprint ???
If I’m a UConn FB fan…I’m sick at the thought.

2 Likes