Herman very complimentary of the crowd

Herman said in his press conference that he is very happy with the turnout and totally understood why folks didn’t stick around with the long rain delay. Was supremely appreciative of the students.

10 years ago we would have had 12K. Today we had 39K.

1 Like

SATURDAY’S ATTENDANCE
• Saturday’s attendance of 39,402 was the fourth largest crowd in TDECU Stadium history

42,159 vs. Memphis, Nov. 14, 2015
40,755 vs. UTSA, Aug. 29, 2014
40,562 vs. Navy, Nov. 27, 2015
39,402 vs. Lamar, Sept. 10, 2016
35,721 vs. Temple Dec. 5, 2015 (American Championship Game)
35,257 vs. Texas State, Sept. 26, 2015
32,889 vs. Cincinnati, Nov. 7, 2015

2 Likes

Really? 39

Did we kidnap that Rice U. student or did he come willingly?

Sellout crowd at Minute Maid at the same time and a game up the road in College Station as well (although a lot of people missed that A&M game based on pictures)

Texas A&M hasn’t had a sellout this year. UCLA game had empty sections through out their stadium.

Are you seriously using S&M as an excuse? Texans, rockets, Astros okay I understand but stop reaching. Historically we’ve never drawn well at 11am. It is what it is.

Didnt draw well? Wth r u talking about?! 39k for a crappy fcs team is bad to you?! Who the heck needs am excuse for an 11am game against an fcs that had 39k? Argumentative much?

2 Likes

Surely this year, with our team ranked higher than it has been in ages and auditioning for the Big12, everyone in Houston ought to get that it isn’t about who we play or what time they play. I mean, people slight our academics - but it doesn’t take a tier one research university education to get that our attendance is under the microscope. It might not be the deciding factor but it could help.

Preaching the the choir, but we’re gonna have to spread the gospel.

2 Likes

I tell ppl everywhere I go that they should go to the games. I imagine many of us here stayed the 3 + hrs to watch.Maybe telling folks about how we stayed will impress upon folks that UH has a die hard fan base and we get more t-shirt fans. They pass on the story to others and consider going. "Man! my friend/co-worker/Cougar friend :wink:, stayed for three hours to watch this game.

1 Like

I think more people would have stuck around if they had put something up on the video screen to watch - scores, game highlights, games in progress, etc. Hell, they could have replayed the entire OU game, for that matter.

It was like they WANTED people to leave.

7 Likes

It would be insane, liability wise, for them to give fans an incentive to stay in their seats during a “lightning” delay.

I went to a HS game last night that had one as well, crazy day of non-football, and they forced everyone out of their seats.

I stayed the whole game. The eATMe game did impact our attendance. I would have brought 3 people with me but they already had tickets to see the eATMe game.

They did put out of town scores on the scoreboard

Not suggesting to “keep people in their seats” - lol. Besides, they didn’t force people to leave their seats, and there were a bunch who stayed, even in the upper decks.

And the scores were put up maybe twice over a four hour period. If the wi-fi worked a little, it wouldn’t have been a big deal, but…

1 Like

Yeah we stayed the whole time too. No hit on anyone who left, happy to have had them buy a ticket.

I do think it would have made a hell of a statement had heaps more stayed, but one step at a time.

Personally I think we’ve got an urban, edgy vibe that UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor et al just can’t come close to. Its a “cool” factor that makes some/all of the other schools seem a little hokey. Ok well makes aggy look a lot hokey.

Seems like we could witness that catch fire with the younger generation, and its so much fun to watch.

Love my school.

1 Like

We announced 39K but I bet only 29K showed.

The 300 level holds 14K (both sides combined). It was less than half full.

Plus lots of empties in the 100s and 200s.

At the beginning of the game you’re right. It had started to fill up when the delay started. I would guess 34 or 35k actually showed up

A good tailgating scene is going to mean empty seats at kickoff for early games.

1 Like

Here’s a photo of Sections 305-307 at 11:36 a.m., the time of the lightening delay announcement. This was almost certainly peak attendance. These sections were at 50% density or so, and that’s likely generous. Entire 300-level sections in the SW corner were completely empty. I’d guess about 24-25k were there. Look, that’s pretty good for an 11 a.m. kickoff against an FCS team – especially since we were warned about the likelihood of thunderstorms for several days prior to kickoff. I don’t see any benefit of making wildly unreasonable statements about attendance.