Hi there

Brad you can think what you want. The multiple probation and the so called violations were orchestrated by uta & atm. We all know it. Coach John Jenkins produced an amazing 10-1 season in 1990. At the same time we were still on probation with reduced scholarships and all that it entails. All SWC or other national programs did the same thing as we did. uta & atm got a slap on the wrist or nothing at all. We paid dearly and it nearly killed our program. Our administration was complicit into not fighting these allegations. What is the old saying? We all play by the rules. The ncaa did not see it that way. You mentioned the death penalty. Since the SWC parted ways we have been put on the sidelines. Why you may ask? Not because of our sorry state of our facilities but because we are a threat to uta, atm, OK, OSU and many other small12 programs. That is why we still have not been invited into a P5. Given the chance Coach Jack Pardee or coach John Jenking would have won multiple national championships. I have no doubt about it. Even on probation, multiple probation we still pulled of a 10-1 season. That is imo one of the greatest accomplishment for any Football coach.
I would be ecstatic to see Mr. John Jenkins back into our Football program in some capacity. There are plenty of offensive consultants. Saban has a bunch. Mr. John Jenkins could fit that role perfectly.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with much in the first half of your post, in fact I don’t understand the abrasive ness.

But I think you’re looking at history with Jenkins with rose (scarlet) colored glasses. That Miami game was an embarrassment and the end of the run-and-shoot. It had less to do with number of scholarship players and more to do with defenses figuring out how to attack the r&s and Jenkins not adjusting.

2 Likes

The stats from our 4-7 seasons in 1991 and 1992 don’t lie.

17th in the country in scoring offense.

91st (of 107) in the country in scoring defense.

6th in the country in scoring offense.

105th (of 107) in the country in scoring defense.

After all the studs graduated off that 1990 team, we couldn’t stop a hard marching band.

I think the AD believed that JJ wasn’t a HC for the long term. SO when JJ gave the AD an excuse to can him, he did.

2 Likes

Good stuff Lawdog, but I respectfully disagree.

We were sixth in the nation in scoring with an average of 34.4 points a game.

Three of those games were outliers. We scored 63 against ULALA (who finished 2-9), 61 against Rice (6-5) and 49 against TCU (2-8-1). Take those out of the mix and our average points per game was 25.6. Good enough fro 39th in the nation. (Granted you could take out a lot of the schools top 3 games and we wouldn’t drop as low.) My point is that we were rated high, but we were doing much of it against lesser competition.

More info on the site above shows that SWC was the 8th strongest conference in the country.

Good site, I’ll be less productive for it today. Thanks.

2 Likes

34.4 points per game today would put you around 50th in the country re scoring offense.

Offensive inflation?

You gentlemen need to add one point that tips the scale for any Team. Recruiting that is. Even before 1990 recruiting had become extremely difficult. Talent did make a difference especially in the last days of the SWC.
The way Mr. John Jenkins was discarded will always be a one of the major injustice that our administration ever committed.

1 Like

The bottom 2 were as much outliers as the top 2 (highs 61 and 63. Lows 7 and 16). Take out the bottom 3 like you did the top 3 and we average 41.5.

Take out top 2 and bottom 2, outliers on both ends, we average 33. Median might be best and that was 31

True, one can slice it and dice it either way. But my point remains, the Run-and-Shoot that lit up the record books with Ware and D. Klinger was fading away in Jenkins’ final season. There is a big drop off from being the #1 offense in 1989 and '90 (with 54.89 and 45.99 pp/g) and being the #6 offense in 1992 (w/ 34.4 ppg).

Now, let’s beat tt.

Did you take out the top 3 scoring games for all D1 teams that year or just ours? I will never understand why a Coog would want take away from UH’s accomplishments.

Younger Coogs probably don’t understand that if we beat UT in 1990, we would have been voted National Champions and Klingler would have won the Heisman. Oh what could have been. I will always remember Jenks for that season.

1 Like

No I did not, which I noted and admitted.

Not trying to take away from accomplishments, just making the argument that staying with Jenkins in 1993 would have been a mistake. Not as big of a mistake as hiring Helton and letting him run the program into the ground for seven years, but that’s another discussion. And I do agree with 92010 above about over-reaching/disproportioned penalties/probations and politics being another factor.

I embrace UH history. I was in middle school during the run-and-shoot days and was a huge fan of that era and eras before it. I’m simply keeping the conversation honest.

Fact of matter, Pardee benefitted from great recruiting by BY and his staff, just as Herman benefitted by great recruiting by TL and his staff.

JJ, much like Briles, couldn’t be bother by the defensive side of the ball.

Also of interest, according to Wikipedia, the attendance at the 1990 UH-UT game in Austin was 82,547, which was their largest crowd for that season. Only the Aggie game, when UT was ranked #5, came close (82,518). The other home games were against Arkansas (72k), #20 Colorado (77k) and SMU (65k).

Seems to me that, when the Coogs had a good team, UT could sell more tickets!

You will never know how Mr. John Jenkins would have done since they discarded him like an old sock. I was in school during the Run N Shoot. Like many others students of that era we would have had no issue with him staying. The following years proved how bad our administration was.
By the way, the Run N Shoot is still used today by many NFL or College Teams. They use plays or variances of it. We were ahead of our time.
Defense? You have to be able to recruit. Way before the Run N Shoot we had issues recruiting due to uta & atm sharing the same bed with the ncaa.

2 Likes

Disagree with last part. Yeoman had stockpiled the defense (and offense for that matter) before he left.

Pardee and Jim Eddy were able to use that stockpile and built a reaally good defense.

Unfortunately Pardee and staff were not good recruiters (maybe they knew they would be there long) and along with the probation, the defensive talent level dropped considerably.

In the future, I would appreciate Coogs finding another way to make an argument besides belittling our accomplishments. Others do this on here too. If we had one 200 pt game and the rest of the games 20 pts you would have a good argument. But 3? Take away Alabama’s 3 best defensive games in any given season and they look almost human.

I don’t know that the offense was declining in 1990. TAMU was the Run and Shoot’s worst nightmare leading up to that season, and the perfect yardstick against which we can measure improvement or decline. Scores against TAMU by year: 1987-17pts, 1988-16pts, 1989-13pts, 1990-36pts, 1991-18pts, 1992-30pts (TAMU was ranked #4 and we lost by 8). For 1991, Spoon was gone and I think the entire offensive line graduated. In my opinion (and I was at those games) 1990 was the pinnacle of the Run and Shoot, not the beginning of any decline.

2 Likes

I guess us Coogs can’t be forgiving.