Hi there

Is Jenkins trying out for the lead role in the Jerry Lee Lewis story? :slight_smile:

Just an observation, but Jenkins looks exactly like the type of guy who would show his players naked chicks in an effort to motivate them. Disclosure: I have no idea what actually happened and have no (stated) opinion on whether or not people should have been offended. Just making a stereotype-based observation, which observation is a joke in case anyone is offended by what I have said. #2018CommentExplanation

3 Likes

Seeing Jenkins is sweet. I have great memories of his high flyin’ Coogs. But, if some of you think for one minute Artie was here to root “his Coogs” on, you’re as gullible as they come. He was there for his son
that’s the ONLY reason he was there. If Kendal goes somewhere else, we’ll never see Artie again
which is fine with me.

1 Like

That Jenkins was fired for inserting some harmless pictures into the game film just shows you how stupid the UH administration was at the time.

3 Likes

Art is cougar. He played here. He coached here. His son went here and is here now. He earned the right to wear UH gear.

2 Likes

Correction, the crash was in 76 en route to play SMU at the Cotton Bowl and Briles graduated from TxTech in 79. I provided too much conjecture in this post without know what actually occured between Briles and Yoeman. i apologize for not having all the facts. do not mean to disparage Coach Yeoman.

I do think it’s an interesting and very tragic story

1 Like

Jenks went 4-7 in the year before he was fired and was the program was the subject of an investigation for more NCAA violations.

He wasn’t let go just because of some naked pics.

2 Likes

i have not problem if he was fired for performance but the problem was that we hired Kim Helton to replace him and were made to endure 8 years of Kim Helton, the 2nd longest tenured coach in UH history.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I never knew the whole story just the brief summary. It was interesting to read how KB mentions U of H being a special place to AB, makes you question why he left the way he did. I understand opportunities but he could have waited until the season was done.

That’s a pretty damning quote there fella. Care to share the proof?

It wasn’t just performance, we got some pretty stiff penalties because of some rule violations under Yeoman. We were still in the probation phase of those penalties. We needed to win AND run a clean program. Neither seemed to be happening under Jugular John. Helton was not the answer, but neither was staying with Jenkins. I’d argue we were on the path to the death penalty. But that’s strictly uninformed conjecture
which is also known as #FACTS on CoogFans.com. So there’s that.

3 Likes

i agree with your analysis except I don’t think the death penalty was happening. I was at UH from 1995 - 2000 and the feeling was the administration just didn’t care about athletics. Curious what the specific violations were under Yeoman. Would appreciate any links to article explaining the NCAA allegations.

i found this

The Houston investigation started in 1986 after four former players said they had received cash payments from Cougar coaches, including Yeoman. Lonell Phea and David Roberson, former starting wide receivers, said they were given about $18,000 and $10,000 during their Cougar careers. Phea played from 1979 through 1981, Roberson from 1981 through 1983.

Well, it depends on your perspective, but I think the violations were nothing like the Penn State/Baylor/Miami crap that’s gone on recently. Pretty sure it was just pay-for-play violations, which were rampart through the 70s and 80s of the SWC. If you haven’t seen Pony Excess, that’s a must
if you’re interested in that era.

yes “Pony Express” is an excellent ESPN 30 for 30 documentary

The best team money could buy

I know what our players look like with helmets and pads on and the way they move (even when I can’t see the numbers) but have almost no idea what most look like in person.

1 Like

Alternative facts. :sunglasses:

https://twitter.com/mholley73/status/1038807822929207296

3 Likes