"High" Expectations

Art Briles was a Coog. How’d that work out?

herman didn’t technically bring in all of his guys. he only had 1 full recruiting class. most of the guys on the roster last season and currently Applewhite was familiar with. this will be Applewhite’s 2nd full class. he really does not have any excuse. herman started out the gate winning big games and getting us to a new years 6 bowl. why should i settle for less?

If I could like this more than once I would.

I know this much…I can’t wait to beat Rice.
One game at a time…

2 Likes

King was injured, but nice try.

1 Like

“High” expectations? A Coach by nature wants to be undefeated. My own expectations are based on excelling at fundamentals. Yesterday does not mean anything. It is past history. What we have is our present/future in our own hands. The upcoming practices do, the weight room sessions do, the film sessions do. How are we going to transition to a new offence? How is our group of players going to “gel”? You can have many so called five stars and the same Team might not amount to anything.
I am looking for the following:
Getting better every single game
Make an impact by our offense/defense or both every single game
Score the most points possible. It is crucial that we make a “media” impact. People will want to watch our School. That can only help us getting into a P5
Selling out every single game - We all play a role on that - Get butts in the seats
Yes, it is basic but basics wins, always win.

1 Like

Last year wasn’t up to par. That’s the real story. You can always make excuses but they don’t matter at the end of the day. Helton, Dimel, and Levine could all make legitimate excuses but they were all fired anyway.

We have to do better this year and Major knows that. Another 7 win season and his seat will be very warm.

3 Likes

I was in the “Hire Todd Orlando” camp all along but was also open to Miles, Kiffen or another experienced re-tread. At the time, I thought the inclusion of Major in the process was just a courtesy by the admin.

Having said that, I don’t know how one coaching hire is considered “forced down” on fans when another (like Herman) isn’t. The only difference for this coaching hire was the visibility given the Peach Bowl win and all of the fans that started to pay attention to the football program again. I am sure there were some that were excited at his hire.

Major is my guy now because he was chosen by Fertitta and Co to be the guy. He is growing on me much like Penders had to grow on me as well. Let’s give him at least Season Two to show some progress from last season.

3 Likes

There was no way King was starting that 1st game unless the competition wasn’t even close. Sitting a 5 star transfer in his 1st eligible game is a way to quickly dry up that transfer pipeline. Allen was starting that game the day he announced his transfer

1 Like

qwanseeker, if we ever meet I owe you a beer. Well done, sir!

2 Likes

yawn. I’m going to counter every single one of your points now that i have time.

1. Of course Herman was going to take the best coaches with him. Why would he bring in a whole new set of coaches at texas? only person that stayed at UH with Applewhite was Coach Pope. It’s still on Applewhite to bring in coaches. Whose fault was it to wait a long time to hire D’Onofrio as DC?

2. That happens with every single coach that leaves. Frost took all his best recruits with him. Chad Morris did too. Those are the most recent ones off the top of my head.

3. I’ll give you this point because its hard to recruits late in the process when a HC leave. this year is his first full recruiting class.

4. How do you know he didn’t get the OC he wanted? He hired Brian Johnson. Who was plan A?

5. I’ll give you this point. No arguing that.

6. That’s an excuse TBH. Applewhite has been with this team for 4 years. 2 as OC and 2 as HC. He should be familiar with the team. Next man up is my motto. How many players did Boise St. lose when Bryan Harsin took them to the Fiesta Bowl his first year at Boise St.?

7. Lets not act like we still didn’t have talent after Ward. I know King was hurt but he is a stud. Allen was supposed to be good, not sure what happened there. Postma was pretty damn good when Herman was HC then all of a sudden he wasn’t. Sounds to me like that’s a problem with Applewhite and the system he and Brian Johnson wanted to run.

8. See number 7

9. We had the SAME OL problems when Herman was HC. Matter of fact under Herman we had our worst season in school history in teams of YPC yet we still managed to have a very good offense.

10. How is that an excuse? The Astros won a WS with the same circumstances. Major managed to beat Arizona AFTER that so not sure what point you are trying to make.

11. No real way to tell if we would have won or lost vs UTSA. It wouldn’t have mattered anyway given it was an OOC.

12. Weather? what? Please explain. Weather was the same with Herman as HC. Remember the 11 AM game vs Lamar? Also can you blame the fans? Applewhite killed all the hype that surrounded UH football his first year here. I admit fan support wasn’t CRAZY with Herman but it was the best I’ve seen since i started following UH football.

13. Ok I’ll give you the SMU and Navy loss. We know the real reason why they lost to Memphis. Any logical fan knows that. Funny how you discredit those losses but don’t mention how he beat Louisville twice, Vandy, FSU, and Oklahoma. He was undefeated vs P5 schools. Meanwhile Applewhite has lost to Texas Tech here, and lost to Tulane and Tulsa. TULANE AND TULSA! That Tech loss ended our home WS.

Postma was good under Herman? You must be talking about the second half of that Memphis game. I’m not sure where else you can say he was really good.

FSU game when Ward went out. His running was key to sealing the victory that game. He was a pretty good backup for us when Herman was HC.

Yes he was a good runner and gained yards when he was called upon like he did this past season. He wasn’t good in his start against uconn and honesty if he started the next week against navy we might not have won that game.
He also wasn’t good in his starts against Lamar the next year.

He did win us that Memphis game, doe :eyes:

2 Likes

yep

No absolutely he did. The argument was he was good or better under Herman than with Applewhite. I don’t see it…look he was really good this year when he came in 4th quarter against tech and he had the best gsme if career against Memphis before he started turning the ball over.

You do realize a good portion of your list are ones that Levine brought in. In fact there might even be an argument that Levine left Applewhite with more talent than Herman did. :o

7 Likes

No one is asking you to accept less. That being said, I wish I were your boss so I could put you down everyday.
I know you are not better than the person who just left, however i will encourage to be the best you can be and support you while you take time develop.

That’s not quite an apples to apples comparison unless Diehard is running a multi-million dollar organization. Major is the CEO of our football program and is paid very well. We didn’t hire him to develop him into being better than his predecessor. There’s no one to even develop him. He’s at the top and we hired him to win.