"High" Expectations

Yeppers, the King of Concussion was once here. Some Austin folks may not be so forgiving.

Are you saying that Herman made people play when he knew they were suffering from a concussion? If so, then I hope you have documentation, like a doctors report, because it is a very serious allegation.

Lighten up Francis…that ain’t what he meant at all !!!

1 Like

Except at aTm. One time becomes a tradition at aTm.

2 Likes

I think he had wanton disregard for his team’s health and his practices caused many concussions, even causing some to have to give up football. I think that comes in more as fact than allegation.

3 Likes

At least 9 games is high expectations for you. If you read into all the stuff he has said about Herman and the part where 8 or 9 wins in this conference isn’t enough, it starts to become apparent that he expects 11 or 12 wins minimum. Not hopes for but expects.

To me , After Tulsa and Tulane happened and losing the bowl game , I knew Houstons goose was cooked the next three years. I have some hope now that coach Briles is here but will that secondary stop anyone. I frankly have no clue what to expect this season

1 Like

Here is the truth, but I’m not sure you can process it because you seem to be more concerned with proving your point about CMA than the truth.

1. Herman took the best coaches with him
  2. Herman took the best recruits with him
  3. Major had to cobble together a recruiting class and coaching staff in short amount of time
  4. Major didn’t get the OC he wanted
  5. The OL coach pulled an unheard of move and took a P5 job shortly after taking the UH job (a real POS move) causing Major to recruit and hire yet another coach last minute
  6. We lost a ton of talent from the previous year’s team, especially on defense
  7. We lost our stud QB to graduation, the most important position on the field
  8. Our best replacement option at QB got hurt before the season
  9. Our next best replacement option completely choked under the pressure of a less than desirable OL (see numbers 4 and 5)
  10. Just before his rookie first season as head coach, the city was hit by the largest natural disaster in its history (and possibly the worst in US history)
  11. Due to #10, we lost a likely additional win on the schedule
  12. Weather and fan support were not kind to CMA last season
  13. Your golden boy, Big Herm, lost to 2 of those bottom dwellers you listed above in one season (and got blown out and embarrassed by SMU)

Now back to a spot where we can agree:
We have high hopes for 2018 because:

1. CMA recruited the transfer market extremely well. So he has created a more talented roster than 2017
  2. CMA helped identify and develop a young, talented QB that is poised for success in 2018
  3. CMA significantly upgraded the OC
  4. CMA significantly upgraded the OL Coach
  5. CMA runs the program with integrity and doesn’t get on the radio and lie to the world or get into childish public arguments with radio hosts
  6. You need to chill out and let the season play out before rushing to judgment and continuously stirring up drama over CMA
  7. Your expectations and analysis of 2017 are unfair and lack depth

I’m not sure if it is possible for you, but try to go into the season with hope and optimism rather than expectation. You and all of us will be better for it.

18 Likes

Wow. A rational post on Coogfans. Something I’m not used to seeing!

2 Likes

Samples, for one.

Levine chose to get out of coaching.

As for developing talent there are plenty of 4 and 5 star recruits that are not in football today, because they never developed at the next level.

You may very well be right. But if you are right about the reasons our season expectations should be tempered and our season is less than stellar then the program’s goose is cooked. Based On the close to abysmal attendance last year and the apparently similar rate of season ticket sales this year, the general population of UH fans has little patience for applewhite and won’t put up with him not proving himself to be a great coach.

Winning will help me get over the fact that the Cougars have a longhorn for a coach. And when he wins we all know what’s coming next.

What’s so funny, if not ridiculous, is that some people think that UH “fans” will only support a “great” coach that is certain to start negotiating to leave UH after his first 10+ win season.

What’s so funny or ridiculous about that? Would you prefer fans to support a crappy coach? Fans didn’t support Helton, the administration did. Fans didn’t support dimel nor Levine. Applewhite was forced down many a fans throats by pride and last year’s attendance show what the fans think about that.

I don’t attend games to watch the coach on the sidelines. I attend games to watch the Cougars play football. I attend when they win and when they lose. I have seen great wins and ugly losses. I am a Cougar and I support my team,

11 Likes

Uh needs more fans like you, me, and most of the others on this forum. Unfortunately it does not. Much of it beyond UH’s control, but much of it due to UH’s own actions.

BOOM!!! Well said qwan!! Admin you can lock the post, no more needs to be said.

1 Like

Eleven of those guys in DieHardCoog713’s list are Levine recruits. You could include Ed Oliver and make it 12, since Ed himself said:

“I didn’t come to UH because of Herman. Whoever got Marcus, they were getting me.”

2 Likes

i support UH athletics. I have a right to criticize any coach i well please. its an opinion anyway.

1 Like