HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE FORGOTTEN?

I was at the 13-10 game at Arkansas, too. We were subject to tons of verbal abuse before and after the game, with some of it being the typical racist crap we always had to put up with from most of other SWC schools. Disgusting people, the lot of them. My buddies and I enjoyed running on the field after the game, too, and we were threatened by Arkansas fans, but that didn’t slow down our celebrations one bit!

1 Like

I think you must be thinking of the trip to Tulsa for the sub-regional and it was really cold. I believe it was Lafiles (I’m having trouble remembering if his first name was David or Bill) that took a swim after the game. I am not sure if that is who it was though. I also remember Billy Schnieder and her friend Hattie had an alumni get together in her room at that time. Things were really fun back then.

Were you on the Royal Allen bus trip to El Paso for the Sun Bowl? When we returned, we got back to campus at about 3:00am. My ex and I went home took a nap, got up and showered, grabbed another bag we had pre-packed and were back at campus at about 7:00am for another bus trip to the Sugar Bowl basketball tourney where we played Purdue and LSU – and won both games. We did some serious partying in New Orleans. I was a lot younger then; I don’t know if I could handle it now.

2 Likes

It was the Arkansas game because I’m the guy that went swimming. Dove in one end, swam to the other and went strait to a hot shower, lol. It was after the shower that we went to dinner and had the run in with the Arky fan.

3 Likes

I don’t remember that Arkansas one because I didn’t stay at the same hotel; like I said, I stayed at the HI in Ft. Smith. I only remember the one in Tulsa.

those were wild times for sure.

I was a UH student late 80s/early 90s and the term Cougroes was still very commomly heard at most opposing SWC stadiums

2 Likes

My degrees from UH were in 81 and 87, and I heard that ALL the time from Teasips and Ricebirds…
These folks, friends of friends, would say sh** like this, and I would call them on it. But this was more than common, it was sadly prevalent, at that time…
Thankfully, things have changed for the better, not perfect, but better…

1 Like

Whose gonna share the Michigan State story in 67? They were #2, Wonderous Warren, and the rumble in the tunnel before the game.

I asked CBY about the rumble in the tunnel and if it happened. Coach said ‘no but it set the tone for the game’. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

To answer a question above, yes the Hogs had black athletes when we went into the SWC.
Everyone in the conference had black athletes by late ‘60s and early ‘70s.
The only crude remarks I heard from the Sips was when we played in Austin in ‘68 the year before they brought in their first black player.
Wasn’t much different than trips to Ole Miss, MSU or the Florida schools back in the ‘60s.
That’s the way times were then.
I flew back from Florida in ‘69 on a chartered plane that included some of the players and their wives.
Heck that was as bad as the Ole Miss press box.
We thankfully have come a long long ways from those days

3 Likes

I was at the Michigan State game in 1967 with my then wife (the mother of my 3 sons). She passed several years ago. That group of dedicated Coogfans keeps getting smaller and smaller.

2 Likes

When Baylor won their first championship under Grant Teaff, my BU graduate cousin said, "Finally, our n’s and better than their n’s without batting an eye.

I remember in Little Rock being reprimanded because “that drinking fountain is for N…s only!”

When I was a little boy and my mother and I were taking a bus from the RGV to north Texas the bus stations all had “White’s Only” and “Coloreds Only” on their restrooms. I asked my mother what that meant and remember her reply that some people in the world were just stupid, and that was why there were signs like that. I was raised by an early civil rights advocate and always appreciated that.

5 Likes

In the summer of 1961 I rode a Continental Trailways bus from Harlingen to Austin for a visit with my sister and her family. I was 14 at the time and remembered feeling disgusted seeing the “Whites Only " and Colored Only” signs on the water fountains and restrooms. At that time there was a certain level of separation between the Anglo population and the Hispanic population here in the RGV but this was different. It was even worse. There were few blacks in deep south Texas then and all my experiences with blacks were very positive. I just couldn’t understand the hatred and I still don’t. The great American melting pot has eliminated most of the Anglo/Hispanic issues down here which is a good thing IMHO. I chuckle sometimes when I have a lunch at one of my favorite Mexican eateries. As I am enjoying my enchiladas, rice and beans the background music playing is greatest hits from the 60’s and 70’s…gringo music. On the walls there are posters of local kids that are cheerleaders, etc. The last names are familiar in these parts: Garcia, Gomez, Ramirez, Gonzales and so on. But the first names have changed over the years. Instead of Maria, Sofia, Isabella and the like now it’s Tiffany, Claire, or Kennedy. Sometimes I travel to Houston to see Coogs play. When I do, I often stop in and eat at Captain Benny’s near NRG stadium. When I do I find that place to be quite diverse along racial lines and I always feel comfortable (or at least I did pre CoVid) sitting shoulder to shoulder with a cold beer and platter of oysters on the half shell. It seems to me we have come along way from where we were in the 60’s which to me is a very good thing. We still have a way to go and may never get all the way there but I believe we will keep trying to improve. It’s kinda like a glacier. It appears to be stationary but it’s moving slowly and steadily and it is way to big for any one of us to stop it.

3 Likes

I think it’s improving slowly generation by generation. I’ll never forget a woman I worked with who lived in West U telling me that she was proud to have raised her children to be bigots. That’s maybe the most shocking thing I’ve ever heard coming from one person. I was stunned speechless, frankly. One time i had guests from San Antonio who I took to Katz Deli on Westheimer late one night. One of the guests, a friend who was a SA cop, sat back after looking over the packed restaurant and said, “I’ve never been in a place that had such a diverse group of people in it.” I said, “That’s why I like it here.”

3 Likes