Holgorsen and Recruiting

Those five (5) JUCO/Transfers listed above all have the potential to be great players here at UH, and we should plan and expect to take a whole lot more guys just like them. It’s our way into the future and we should all embrace it!

1 Like

whats even odd to me is that the immediate transfer rule just past, and we are “home” to an extremely high amount of players

the quality and amount of transfers is about to spike. Right now we should be salivating the potential high level transfers we are about to stumble into, instead a huge portion of our fan base is complaining we aren’t getting mostly low level high school recruits to develop

from 2 or 3 years back, i knew a 5star cb from the houston area who went to bama… his 1st 3 years at bama he was basically just special teams and injury clean up duty, he wanted to transfer but didn’t want to sit out… it wasn’t till his senior year did he get any real minutes. And before anyone says “maybe he wasnt as good as the rating”, he was only bench because bama had other 5stars. and from his lack of minutes he went undrafted, but worked his way to starting games for the packers as a rookie…point being he wasnt bad, bama is just too deep and these are the kind of recruits that could be coming open with the new rule…

i want good players i dont care where they come from

4 Likes

Pesik - That’s a prime example, yet some yahoos on here would prefer that we settle for mostly less talented players and hope to develop them - the path to becoming more like Rice or Lamar.

3 Likes

Dana Dimel would agree.:grin:

1 Like

Bringing in juco’s & transfers help even put the class numbers so that he has amore evenly dispersed scholarship and maybe w3 will find some OT’s in the group .
If Yiu want to see how bad our recruiting has been just check out how many OT’s we have signed over the last 4 years.

???

Transfers happen with every coaching change. Dana is rarely mentioned by our fans these days. We’ve got our own problems to deal with. Some because of Dana leaving the cupboard bare at some positions and some totally unrelated to Dana.

Our offensive play calling is some of the worst i’ve ever seen. We have WRs who have the worst case of the dropsies I can remember as long as i’ve been WVU fan and we have some major discipline issues. None of those things are on Dana’s shoulders.

Dana did leave us high and dry when it comes to QB and Oline depth. He plain and simply didn’t develop or recruit at those positions while at WVU and almost solely relied on JUCOs and transfers. I’ve never seen a coach put so little emphasis on recruiting a HS QB only to go absolutely all in every season trying to find a plug and play transfer.

Just so you know Dana has a freshman QB whom he recruited out of High School.

And next month he will sign another High School QB who is one of the best in Greater Houston.

Perhaps West Virginia does not produce top quality high school QB’s?

And of course Houston does, every single year.

1 Like

Keep in mind that the greater Houston area produces more D1 talent than the entire state of WV. Not a knock, it is just that WV is very rural and they have to go outside their state to look for and compete against other schools in other states. Thus the need for JUCO’s and transfers. I think once this ship is stabilized, there will be less reliance on the JUCO’s and transfers unless they are special or we have a very specific need.

2 Likes

I used to go to WV frequently because Union Carbide was a client and my company did a whole lot of work for them. I also spent several months in Charleston on a project for them done in their South Charleston engineering headquarters. It is a very beautiful state and has nice people.

However, were I an 18 year old kid, that is the last place I would want to be. Most kids aren’t that interested in looking at scenery in their free time, and there’s just not that much that would have interested me when I was that age. To say the least, it is not a Mecca for recruits.

1 Like

Thats an extremely misinformed view of WVU recruiting. WVU never relied on JUCOs and transfers at the level Dana brought in their entire existence. WVU isn’t a school like Kansas State that has a long history of JUCO participation.

WVU is smack dab in the middle of numerous recruiting hot spots. Western PA, Maryland/DC and Ohio. The Pittsburgh metro area is 45 min away from WVU’s campus. WVU has recruited in the 30-40 range since recruiting services have existed. WVU has never at any point had to rely on instate talent or a majority of JUCOs and we are number 15 in all time FBS football wins despite being in a rural area with little in state talent.

2 Likes

Morgantown is a college town to it’s core. Seems kinda silly to single out WVU when half of the other FBS schools are in similar sized towns. I also think it’s a little unfair to criticize WVU’s recruiting, in football and basketball, when we’ve done quite well for ourselves over the years compared to our peers.

Have you been to Ann Arbor in winter? Clemson? Auburn, AL? Manhattan Kansas? Starkville, MS? Stillwater,OK? Virginia Tech was quite literally built on a cow pasture and the town still reeks of cow crap. College football thrives in towns like these and Morgantown. There are a few schools in large metro areas like Ohio State that are perennial powers but it’s certainly not the norm. Kids go to these schools to play football, not for the entertainment options in town.

1 Like

Been to Stillwater, OK, Norman, OK, Tuscaloosa Alabama, Lubbock, TX…and I personally don’t see how anyone can live in those towns…very depressing if you are not into farming.

1 Like

WVUFAN, that is the point, WVU is smack dab in the middle of a lot of other big name P5 schools recruiting the same area. So just like we have to recruit against UT, A&M, TT, BU, other Big 12 schools, the various AAC and others, you have MD, OH, PA State and others with a smaller number of recruits to choose from. Not a knock.

When Dana first came here I seem to recall comments along the lines of Dana believed his recruiting opportunities in Houston exceeded those at WVU.

If we look at his transfers, for example, many of them, including RB Kyle Porter, are from Houston High Schools.

We will see. Recruiting has certainly been a problem before Dana. He must improve in that area.

1 Like

It is obvious that one way or another CDH has to step up our HS recruiting. Other schools with less advantages than we have seem to be doing well. They don’t play our level of competition but I’ve been impressed with what Liberty University and others have accomplished this year.

Once we start winning (hopefully next year) the recruiting will pick up. Once we are ranked from the beginning to the end of the season, play for the AAC Championship routinely, go to the P6 bowls regularly, they will come.

1 Like

Yeah, we can’t be getting outshined by a university run by a guy who pays people to have sex with his wife.

He must have a really ugly wife to have to pay guys to have sex with her.

1 Like

Well, to see a picture of her, she is not what one would call smoking hot, but not judging here…

Are you on Twitter? WVU fans mention Dana plenty…plenty