Holgorsen Recruiting

And what might those reasons be? I know one of those players very well and he has an amazing work ethic and attitude! During the whole season he never once badmouthed those coaches but told me he was working hard and fighting every day to improve his game. He was also a good student for that matter too! I watched chambers on the field where he averaged nine snaps per game over the season. If you watch his tape he worked hard every single snap!! He hurried the quarterbacks countless times. I remember when chambers was on field the quarterbacks were pressured. In contrast, when chambers was taken off the field, the opposing quarterbacks suddenly appeared to have all the time in the world to pass the ball; the quarterbacks were so chill that I swear I saw a cigarette hanging out the side of their mouths while they casually scanned the field for a receiver! Made me so frustrated! LOL. I hope to goodness that Holgorsen is a great coach, but I’m not hopeful after last season. I didn’t see one positive thing come out of that season in terms of good coaching. There were a lot of good players on that team. I’m going to hope for the best though!!

4 Likes

I’m a CDH fan but the Lark and Chambers stuff was insane. At some point, they should have played more.

Nope

Why would Holgorsen not play Lark or Chambers? Maybe Holgorsen just wanted to lose games? Wanted to improve his draft position for the 2020 season? Piss off alumni and players’ families? Wanted to make this job more challenging?

I doubt any of that is right. We were seemingly running out of players last year. We used just about everybody available (and not being redshirted) at some point or another.

I’m guessing the coach had a reason for what he did. We might not agree with it, and he certainly doesn’t have to explain it to us or ask our permission, but I’m sure he was playing the long game–setting clear standards for getting on the field for seasons to come. Looking only to the short term is easy. Taking some lumps for the long term is hard.

4 Likes

This simply is not true. The top Coogs all played in the ‘75 season. Whitley, Val Belcher etc played and did not redshirt.

2 Likes

I’m with you especially on the Chambers part.

The rules and expectations were very lax prior to CDH and certain players didn’t like the discipline…
Chambers was not very coachable and didn’t want to do anything but rush the passer. He had ability to do that much but this staff expects players to buy into the culture. While it may make a small impact in the immediate ot can be a great benefit in the long term.
I don’t always like his tirades on the sidelines or how he dismisses supporters of the program but he is fiery and far from the only coach to hollar and curse.
People need to get over last season. We struggled to finish games because we were so thin and outmanned at certain positions due to a rash of injuries.
We have a chance to be really good next season and for his sake we better be.

4 Likes

It’s sheer arrogance, which comes through media pressers as well. With the worst win loss record in decades last season and loss of a star QB this year, he won’t win many games this season and won’t be here long. Sucks for chambers, Courtney and player whose careers will be impacted , but they deserved better.

2 Likes

And then again no explanation will settle the haters or ignorant.

7 Likes

Hi Russell, maybe we can all agree to disagree about CDH as there appears to be strong opinions one way or the other; it’s a very sensitive topic for those of us who love our cougar football and more importantly our university of Houston. I think we are all on the same page in that we all want a winning football program and we care about UH. I’m sure we all agree on that! Have a nice evening!

4 Likes

I get where you’re coming from man but I would feel a lot better if D King was the quarterback. That’s just me… Nothing against our current starting quarterback, I just think he’s not the best decision maker and he takes too many sacks. I know he needs a clean pocket but when you’re a G5 team you want that star like quarterback who can also improvise with his legs and not get rattled with defenders around him.

D’Eric King showed last year that he was not very good at running a spread offense which involves reading the defense. He is a great athlete but many of his deep passes appeared to be poorly thrown last year.

Going to New Orleans and sitting in the end-zone (with other UH fans) at the Tulane game last year, you could see that his deep passing was “off”. And, after that ridiculous & embarrassing defensive breakdown to end the game, it seems that if was time for reflection and a fresh start for everyone involved.

9 Likes

Four games does not a season make. That said, I don’t know how so many people can dismiss how poorly King played in those 4 games. It seems that all anybody remembers of King is what he was in 2018, and pre-injury 2018 at that. I suspect that the whole redshirt thing may have been caused by a belief that he was about to be benched. It’s pretty clear at this point that it came from King, not Holgorsen.

3 Likes

#Character…when comparing CMA and CDH…I don’t think I’d play that hand. He might have won a couple more with entire crew but then what ? It would have cratered after that.

2 Likes

You play your hand. I’ll play mine.

1 Like

He should have never been hired and needed to go. We will see what happens with Holgs. Early returns aren’t great but no way we should have kept rolling with Major either way.

9 Likes

Fair enough…looking forward to football season

1 Like

Thank you. Coach Hogy should of cater the offense around his star senior then ran his own system the following year. Should of play called to his strengths (DKing) smh

1 Like

You mean like Sampson has done…oh, wait, Sampson coached his teams the way he wanted them to play, even his first year.

4 Likes

Nah, like coach Levine did with Greg Ward when he finally decided to hand him the reigns and change his offense scheme to his strengths oppose to O’Korn.