Holgorsen Recruiting

I liked Levine, but you see he ain’t coaching no more !!

He was/is a gentleman.

3 Likes

Holg has this year to turn it around and I believe he will.

1. 36 Res Shirts from last year that have practiced with the team the whole time.
  2. A bunch of quality transfers that practiced all year with the team coming in.
  3. A bunch of injured that would have contributed last year.
  4. Some decent recruits that are ready.
  5. An easier schedule.
3 Likes

Disagree with number 5.

2 Likes

He won plenty that year Ward took over, tho. Correct ??

This is a great point. I remember when Sampson was hired, I was concerned that Tayshawn Thomas didn’t want to stay. Now I get it - if they aren’t ready to buy into the culture, IT DOESN’T MATTER HOW TALENTED THEY ARE. Ultimately, you will be most successful with the ones who want to be here.

7 Likes

We beat one team with a winning record and lost to a 3-9 Tulane team at homecoming after Ward took over.

We didn’t suck after that point but we were hardly good. The first 3 games with Ward as a starter were really solid. We didn’t finish strong though.

Hey Big,
I remember UH was held out of the SWC,I think,for four years. At that time I remember a lot of discussion about CBY redshirting players to save them for the conference. Some of the other schools accused us as a form of cheating by doing this . Are you saying this did not happen at all ? At my age my memory is not the best but this fact still sticks with me . Comments anyone ? Go Coogs !

So, people didn’t like Apple because he was too stoic and they don’t like Dana because he is too passionate. And he uses potty words! Maybe because I was raised by a Marine and served in the Navy, I am used to potty words – have even used them myself on an occasion or many. Maybe because I was the recipient of such terms while in boot camp, I am not phased by them. Anyway, I don’t care as long as he gets this thing turned around, which I believe will be starting this fall.

5 Likes

I hear ya but what Coach did do was bring perhaps the greatest recruiting class ever by UH in 1973, which made them seasoned seniors in 1976, our first year in SWC.
Another big part of the great turn around from ‘75s disaster was a young quarterback named Danny Davis.
No doubt we rocked the SWC world that first year after going 2-8 the year before.
Coach did a super job of holding that ‘73 bunch together although heralded RB Jeff Bergeron didn’t last but a couple of games! And lost the great Lee Canalito to a severe knee injury. Lee IMO was as good as Whitley and we all know how he turned out

1 Like

There was no doubt that Ward’s scrambling ability could make a coach look better than than he might have been and that was needed with the terrible OL coaching we had at the time.

What you have to give most credit to Levine for was his recruiting. He recruited Ward and a lot of others now playing in the NFL !!

In fact, Herman should send him a check for about a $1M as his recruits made Herman look good !

3 Likes

Red,
I am Navy retired . “Cuss like a sailor is real”.CBY used to throw around some “Golly Neds”,and the like while coaching on the field . However, standing behind the players on the sidelines I could hear them filling in the real words for CBY, under their breaths . Believe me he never heard them. That was funny back then. Go Coogs !

Coach Yeoman had trainer Tom Wilson who must have been a sailor once lol.
Wilson was a hoot and fireball. Several times I saw coach have to settle him down.
Yeoman kept him around a lot of years so Wilson was doing something right

1 Like

Canalito and Whitley side by side was awesome. I can’t imagine how good those defenses would have been if Canalito could have continued. For those of you that missed seeing it, imagine 2 Ed Oliver’s playing tackle side by side in a 4 man front. They were that good…maybe better.

3 Likes

#character

6 Likes

Nice one.

I always loved the story that every year Wilson would address the incoming freshmen, tell them how tough they had to be and punctuate the story by stabbing himself in the leg.

What they didn’t know was that he had a wooden leg !!

While I do not know how true that story is, I can believe Wilson would pull it off !!

1 Like

I heard that too! Back in the ‘60s when Gatorade first came out he had a big barrel of what he called “Cougar Piss” for the breaks.
Tom was once a really good boxer. He loved and was loyal to UH.

Y’all better get real because for better or worse , we’re gonna be rolling with Holgorsen for a while.

1 Like

What’s amazing is it took someone two days to throw that one out there!! :smile:. Find any other ones before we move on. Btw his wife stayed with him (and she could have had her pickings) bec even though he made a mistake in a isolated situation he was a good husband, good father. He handled himself with class during his tenure as HC at UH. Appreciate the update FunkMaster so all the CMA haters can come throwing again.
#NotAHolgersenFan #AnotherRedBull

1 Like

Lots of coaches make mistakes. Applewhite and his wife went through counseling and apparently saved their marriage.
We have had our share of coaches over the years with similar problem. It is rampant in many fields.
I always found Major very easy to get along with and he was easier to talk to than many of our previous coaches like Sumlin and Hermit.
Like Levine he just wasn’t ready for this level. I still think he could coach at a lower level and work his way back up.
Whether he gets that chance is another story

2 Likes