Houston at Cal State Fullerton - Game 1 (L 2-1)

Bottom 13th

Hurdsman K’s the side. 18 Ks for Cougar pitchers tonight

T14…Tied 1-1

Top 14th
Etzel walks
Minter up…Etzel steals 2nd…Minter flies out to LC - Etzel tags and goes to 3rd
Lovelace Ks swinging
Coldiron Ks swinging

M14…Tied 1-1

SMH

Too many strikeouts with runs in scoring position.

1 Like

Holy crap, just drive in one dude. These guys couldn’t hit our pitching with a guitar.

Bottom 14th
Another 1-2-3 inning for Hurdsman and another K (19 total on the night for the Cougars).

13 in a row retired by Hurdsman

T15…Tied 1-1

Top 15th
Quick 1-2-3 inning for the Coogs

M15…Tied 1-1

This team just can’t hit this year. I know it’s early but Jesus, not even a pulse

Bottom 15th
Hurdsman walks the first batter, a sac bunt moves him to 2nd and that’s it for Brayson (5.1IP 0H 0R 2BB 1HBP)
Pulido on to pitch
Intentional Walk to put runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out
Wild pitch puts runners on 2nd and 3rd
Intentional Walk to load the bases
Wild pitch ends the game

CSF wins 2-1 in 15 innings

CSF recorded 2 hits in 15 innings and won.

I give up…We allow two hits and get a loss.

20 win team.

What a joke. 15 innings to end like that

Another slow start to a season.
We will have to play catch up all season.

I was originally going to say it looks like our bats are made out of styrofoam, but we struck out way too many times with runners in scoring position, so can’t blame just that.

I’ll be honest, I’m not exactly sure what we’re trying to do on offense right now.

Why do you have Hollis, who’s probably one of your three best hitters, bunt in the 11th just to move Lockhart to 3rd?

Why do you waste Slaughter as a pinch hitter for Redden if you’re just going to replace him with Lovelace? Is Slaughter no longer a catcher even though the roster lists him as one?

Also, I’m assuming Bartlett didn’t make the trip as that’s the only reason why I can imagine that Lovelace hit in the 12th and 14th with runners in scoring position…both times having him try to bunt. If Bartlett was there, where was Brown or Champion to hit in those spots?

Coldiron isn’t going to work out well as a leadoff hitter. He’s got some pop, but he’s not a guy that can get on base consistently. Probably should put Hollis in the leadoff spot, Lockhart in the 2 hole as he’s good at getting on base, Padgett at the 3 spot, and Davis at Cleanup.

Honestly, and I know this was said last weekend, but if this is the best lineup we are putting out there, we’re going to be in for a long season.

2 Likes

Maybe that is why they were bunting with the infield in, when all that was needed was a fly ball or a lucky ground ball. Anyway this team makes the game difficult to watch with so little offensive production.

Yes, we are struggling in offense. It’s 2015 all over again.

Did not follow the game last night. Long week.

As stated last week, there is no pop in this order and other than flashes, game here or there, I do not really expect to see much offense. Pitching will have to be near perfect to win games this year.

CSF’s starter went 4 innings against Stanford and gave up 7 hits and 5 runs. Against us, 6 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs and 6 strikeouts, twice as many as Stanford.

In my mind, you either need to have a lineup with a few guys who can take it yard or play small ball. If I am playing small ball, I need a lineup with speed and some guys, like Vidales, who can fight to get on base, rarely strike out and then steal a base to get in scoring position. I also need a few .300+ hitters in the lineup that have alley and down the line capabilities or speed to beat out infield hits. I don’t see that in this lineup. I see guys who are capable of hitting in the .270 to .290 range but they are primarily single hitters and are okay speed wise. Capable of stealing bases but not necessarily consider base stealers, if you know what i mean. They also strike out a lot, (same as last year).

When you have this type of lineup. It often takes three hits to score a run, or a sacrifice to get a run over into scoring position. And you have to have a lineup that rarely strikes out. Twice last night reading Pray10’s game writeup (which by the way I really appreciate) we had runners in scoring position with one out and the next two batters strike out.

1 Like

Going to be a long year with these bats. Feel terrible for Cumbie.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/967310795297050624