Houston has the pieces to be good again — very good. Get used to it

lol that aside, just on the court stuff id have felt more comfortable with a more proven offensive big on the floor with this team…the guard unit looks too good, its looks disproportionate that gorham is the only big on roster with any offensive capability, and we know this guard unit is only staying together one year. even someone with mutts skillset would have been welcome

2 Likes

I hear you. For me how comfortable on-court wise I would/will be with Chaney vs Mutts boils down to different factors beyond their control like how feasible us using 4 guards lineups for significant stretches will be, how ready Powell is, whether Gorham takes a leap, whether Roberts can knock down some mid range shots, etc. I wasn’t really saying I feel we are better off with Chaney but I wouldn’t be at all surprised at the end of the season after we see what he does here and what Mutts does at VT that we are happy how it turned out.

I’m with you that I wish I had more confidence in offensive production from our front court right now.

Also Chaney still needs the waiver too!

1 Like

I think Chaney will fit in perfectly as a banger coming off the bench

2 Likes

One point that really grabbed my attention and I don’t think has been brought up here is that Gresham has been working on a 15 foot jump shot. Honestly, I have no idea how useful that might be in this offense, but any ability for Gresham to score outside of dunks and put backs can only be a good thing. Especially with how well our guards rebound. If nothing else, opposing bigs will have to close out on Gresham opening up the lane for our guards to get offensive rebounds.

I don’t put much stock into a player has been working on a jump shot. Still not a guy I want taking shots outside the paint. He starts knocking them down and I will change my mind.

1 Like

Reminds me of last year when we heard Fabian was going to be shooting 3s. It never really happened so I will wait and see. Hopefully he can shoot it some.

1 Like

With White, it was plausible he could extend his range to the perimeter as he’d shown to be a good free throw and mid-range shooter. Gresham is a bad free throw shooter, so it’s hard to believe that one offseason of work will allow him to be a good enough shooter to take mid-range shots in games.

1 Like

Develop a jump hook from anywhere in the paint. That is a weapon!
White went from having poor footwork as a freshman to having a really good jump hook by his JR season

1 Like

That was my first thought too. I’m sure CKS will be the one to determine if any of those shots actually happen in real games.

If he can hit from 15 regularly in games that would be a big weapon but I’m also skeptical.

I’m with @RWcoog…the hook is almost a lot art. If developed well, it is almost indefensible and quite often, high percentage.

Mark is a 2 done at worst. Sounds like a beast!!!

1 Like

Equal hops, longer body. He’s a freak

1 Like

I went back and watched Mark’s reel and a reel from Vince in high school. Not sure I agree with either of those statements just based on that little bit of tape but I hope you are right. I’d be okay with getting a better version of Vince Carter.