Houston - Memphis Rivalry

Boy talking about a BIG stretch. “The only H2H that really matters is the series record between the current HC’s” (only 3 years) but everything else should go all the way back to the mid 1960’s (53+ years ago). Got it!

[NOTE: Other distant recollections from the way-back-in-time college sports history:]

During the Elvin Hays Final Four era at UH - SMU FB was a Top 10 ranked SWC Champion who played bowl games against Georgia (Cotton) and Alabama (Bluebonnet).

During the PSJ Final Four era at UH - SMU FB was a Top 5 ranked SWC Champion who played bowl games against Pittsburg (Cotton), Alabama (Sun) and Notre Dame (Aloha).

Does anyone remember this old SMU football history? I didn’t, but according to one viewpoint this should somehow be proof that SMU certainly isn’t looking up to UH in FB right now in 2021.]

Do we get to be proud of our history? Without a doubt. The Game of Century will always be relevant. Phi Slamma Jamma will always be. Three(edit) top 50 players in the History of the NBA. UH is full of greatness

Actually three Top 50.

Olajuwon
Drexler
Hayes

2 Likes

Rasheed Wallace at Memphis. Oh yeah, malice at the palace 2.0.

Is that recent history?

Go be with your kind!

I’m a terrific UH fan - but with some humility whose ego isn’t threatened by the fact that during the past 20+ years that we’ve shared a conference with Memphis, UH hasn’t done all that well versus them.

I am also very hopeful that CKS will keep up his great work and Memphis doesn’t just pass us by again.

1 Like

Lmao I think you’re a terrific Memphis fan

Reality Check - since UH joined in C-USA & the AAC along with Memphis:

20+ win seasons - Memphis has 19 - UH has 10
30+ win seasons - Memphis has 5 - UH has 1
NCAA tourney appearances - Memphis has 11 - UH has 4
Final AP Top 25 Rankings - Memphis has 8 - UH has 3

With CKS we’re starting to get on a roll - let’s keep it up.

1 Like

Since joining the American:
20+ win seasons- Memphis 5 - UH 6
25+ win seasons- Memphis 0 - UH 3
30+ win seasons- Memphis 0 - UH 1
NIT appearances- Memphis 3 - UH 2
NCAAT Appearances- Memphis 1 - UH 3 (would’ve been 4 w/o Covid)
S16s- Memphis 0 - UH 2
FFs- Memphis 0 - UH 1
Regular season conference championships- Memphis 0 - UH 2
AACT championships- Memphis 0 - UH 1
T-25 finishes- Memphis 0 - UH 4

That’s the recent history stacked up. If you want to dig back further that’s fine but don’t just arbitrarily stop at a date convenient for your argument. Go all the way back to when both programs began fielding teams and tell the whole story. Anything else is cherry picking.

2 Likes

Ancient history but our great history is always relevant

So to some or should I say ONE only our bad history matters. So your point is that we were pretty bad when we were in cusa. Thanks for the education :yawning_face:

I would be very surprised if those 14 and 15 year old girls were following the NBA. I doubt a significant per cent of high school girls, college girls, or any other classification of girls or women actually follow the NBA right now. If 1% or 2% do, I would be surprised. Having a passing knowledge that there is an NBA and know of the Rockets doesn’t qualify for following the NBA.

Chicago was a leading football power under Amos Alonzo Stagg.

And they watched them lose to a team with Houston on their jersey :wink:

Film of Chicago’s game with Michigan in 1903 is on You Tube. It is a classic. Willie Heston was awesome that day for the Meechiganders under Hurry Up Yost. Walter Eckersall kept Chicago in it to the end. You should of been there.

To add to your pride, just reminding you that our gloried basketball team of yore is spelled Phi Slama Jama. :beers:

3 Likes

Can i blame spell check

Calipari left Memphis in 2009. As mentioned above, Memphis has not made the sweet 16 since 2009. Class of 2022 kids would have been 5 years old then.

Memphis has a longer current run of relevance (relevance is a stretch in the last 6 years for them), but I’m certain their fan base would trade their program for ours right now.

I hope Penny can get their program to the next level. It would be good for our conference as a whole.

When they finish with their current recruiting/drafting/restocking class and their coaching additions, Memphis is likely to be ranked higher than UH is this season. A Final Four finish seems attainable for Memphis in the near future. Let’s hope that UH can keep up with them and help make the AAC into a true BB “Power” Conference.